My Jango gauntlets from WoF templates

Jango72

Active Hunter
I've been slaving away on my gauntlets ever since I finished painting my helmet. ( still needs to be weathered though. ;) )

I've still got some refining/finishing work to do before I can install the toggle switches, push buttons and LED... which I still haven't gotten yet. I've got some re working on the flame thrower box to do, plus I might make the whipcord housing a bit narrower.

Any ways, on to the pictures... ( Please excuse the poor quality/grainy pictures as I didn't have any spare batteries for my digital camera. So I took these with my web cam. :eek: )

gauntlet3.jpg

gauntlet1.jpg

gauntlet4.jpg

gauntlet2.jpg

I was having issues with properly shaping the clamshells, so I made them a one-piece, slip-on style. They should do me for a while, until I can justify and afford to get a nice set from Cruzer.

Thanks. :)

Still have tons of work left to do on them. I'll have to wait until after the holidays to go to Home Depot to find the bits to make all my hose attachments... and the tubes for the whipcord housing. ( JDs girth belt has me tapped out, cash-wise. :p )

IMHO, you won't need a pair of mine...those are awesome!:eek:
That left gauntlet looks really good.
What's the main material you are using?

Amazing scratch-build job! You've got some mad model building skillz!(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words guys. :cheers

Cruzer, I still want to get a set of your gauntlets as mine ( particularly the right ) are not as screen accurate as yours. Not to mention, mine don't open on a hinge.

The one part that I'm not looking forward to... trying to find the flame thrower nozzles. :facepalm

I'm no Jango... BUT those are really great looking gauntlets? :eek:
They made from Sintra?

They're made from sheet styrene actually. :)

The fun part will come when it's time to make and install the remote switch for an RF servo. I'm planning to hide it on the side of my right gauntlet. I'm thinking of using a rocker switch, so that the RF will go up when it's depressed one way, then back down when it's depressed the other.

I had thought of asking him, but his uses the Hyperdyne boards, of which there was no availability the last time I checked. They're also pretty expensive, and I have to purchase so many other parts to complete my costume. Having the RF move remotely, is minor and can always be added/updated later on.

:eek: Those are great!! You're doing an excellent job on them!

May I ask how you got such perfect curves in the styrene, where they go around the arm? When I tried bending sintra, it had a weird looking wavy-ness no matter how much I reworked them. Did you form them over something?

Keep it up! :cheers

Mandoman, I formed the curved parts ( the clamshells as they're known ) by boiling them in a turkey pot on the stove. I filled the pot with water and placed it over two of the stove elements. Once the water was boiling, I held the parts in the water with tongs for a few minutes. ( if you keep the parts moving around you'll start to see the plastic get soft, as it'll start to waver as it moves around ) Then I pulled it out with some tongs, placed it on a towel and with my hands, gently curved it into the desired shape. Once I had the general shape I wanted, while still holding onto the part, I plunged it into the kitchen sink which was filled with cold water. ( the cold water will make the plastic rigid again, this will force it to harden in the new shape. )

You might have to re-heat the plastic and repeat the steps a few times for the more curved parts.

JDfett, I really don't think that making a mold from them will be in my capabilities as I've never molded something before. I do have some friends that know how to, but there are enough others that offer gauntlet kits as it is. I really wouldn't want to start offering runs on something that I'd only be able to provide in a small quantity, every once in a while. Besides... I'm not in this to make money, I'm in for the enjoyment and personal satisfaction. ;)

Where'd you get your missile from, Jango72? I'm going to be using WOF's templates for my gauntlets as well, but I've got no idea what I'm going to do for the missile.

I bought it second hand from one of the other members here, Drokkul.

Keep your eyes open in the cargo hold as they pop up from time to time. I went for the cheaper cost resin one as I can always upgrade to the metal one later on. 8)

Come to think of it... I could probably scratch build one easily enough. Having the part on hand for reference makes it a cinch. ;)

It's been awhile since I last posted in this thread, but I do have some more progress pics to post. ;)

I just finished altering/modifying my gauntlets to make them more accurate. I also took the time to add some of the goodies that Cruzer sent me with my holster rig.

On to the pictures...

IMG00463.jpg

IMG00467.jpg

IMG00465.jpg

The LED actually works, and is controlled by the ATARI switch. 8)

A HUGE thanks goes out to Cruzer for the resin flame thrower nozzles and the bonus "Cruz"-missile! Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

The clean up on the resin parts from Cruzer was minimal... next to nothing in fact. All that was required was a quick once over with 600 grit sandpaper and fill in the air pockets/voids. (y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back