My Don Post Practise Helmets Nr. IV and V

Wolfi

Active Hunter
Here a few pics of my recently finished Don Post Helmets. I think I'm ready for my first Bobamaker Helmet which I received a few days ago.:)

DSCN4098.jpg

DSCN4101.jpg

Wow! Looks like you're a natural at this Wolfi !

Wish my first paint jobs looked that good :)

Outstanding Job ! :cheers

FP

thanks! but i have to admit this is not my first helmet. this is number four and five. here's a pic of my first one.

DSCN1447.jpg

Ahh, hence your "Title" to the thread :p I get it now ... sometimes, a bit slow :lol:

Nevertheless, you did a fine job ! And it shows that you have honed your skills. This doesn't mean that you weren't a natural to begin with. That's why practice makes perfect. So I still stand by that statement :lol:

FP

Those look great! How did you paint these? Airbrush, rattlecans? Masking? Topical? Mix of both?

yes, i used a revell airbrush and floquil colours which i brought from my last sejour in the usa. i'm from austria and i have to tell you, it's not so easy for us europeans to access the sources you have in the "us of a". by the way is there any european bobas around? i'd love to share experiences in terms of colours with you...

i used mainly a topical method except for the back. (just like in steve the swede's tutorial. thanx a lot by the way!!!)

i still have a few questions about the carwash thing rouge syudios is talking about. the whole wathering thing is still kind of a mystery to me. i tried some things, but i did not get the results.

sell them on here .there is always nubes looking for helmets and damn if yours aren't the best starter helmets i have ever seen :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
sell them on here .there is always nubes looking for helmets and damn if yours aren't the best starter helmets i have ever seen :eek:

Yep, I say put them for sale here in the Cargo Hold. People here will appreciate what you've done, and what you're selling more readily than people on E-bay. Your "practice helmets" are way better than a lot of other "finished" products out there. :)

As far as the "carwash thing" Steve the swede was refering to, he mixed windshield washer fluid with black paint to create a wash. Windshield washer fluid is different from carwash. Both are detergents, but the Windshield washer fluid is basically glass cleaner.

You can make a wash by diluting the paint a lot with it's solvent. If you're using acrylics, like Tamiya or Floquil acrylics, dilute them with water. Basically, I've always started with about a 50/50 mixture of paint and water, tested it and then added more water.

When I first used a wash, it scared the be jeezeez out of me. They run like water and find all the low spots and the paint settles there. You can always blot up the excess before it dries. You may want to try two or three light washes instead of a thick one.

I don't know if you've ever used a wash, but I'd try it out. Another technique I like is dry-brushing. Use a bristle brush. Choose your highlight color. Dip it into the paint, wipe the excess off on a rag and then just drag the brush over the edges and high spots of what you're painting.

GREAT WORK BTW! :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back