Strongest knee armor...?

The Clayster

Well-Known Hunter
I have some sintra knees, and I do not feel comfortable trooping with them...

I have seen Vac formed knee armor..but I just don't trust that either.
There used to be some Hyperfirm knee being sold...but whoever made them (I forgot...sorry!) doesn't make them any longer.

Is Fiberglass the way to go on this?

I have seen those get damaged (TX Fett, CIV)..

Recommendations please?:):):)

Thanks in advance guys

to date i've gone with the idea that i can break a LOT of plastic knees before the rubber ones save me money. since the paintup isn't all that hard, i have stuck with that idea.

i'm on knee set #2 after 3 years. the current set is cracked in about 11 places, and snapped all the way through on one side at one point. all easy repairs though.

i think i will eventually go the rubber route, but where i'm going with all of this is that i wouldn't worry *too* much about trooping in the plastic ones.

one helpful thing is get some Goop and paint the entire inside with a thin layer (go thin... the goop can damage plastic if it's too thick)

that way if it does crack, it's unlikely to totally pop apart on you

I am a fan of the MoW rubber knees. I have only trooped once but they are quite comfortable and have alot of flex to them.

Here is the best pic, I have painted a bit more on them since this pic.

IMG_0595.jpg

Rubber would be the way to go IMO. I think Christian (MoW) still makes them. I will be sometime early in 2008.

FP
fp do you have any idea of about how much those will be? or what kind of discount you'll be offering the people that got the v2 armor with knees?

"Tentatively", they should be around $80 a pair. That is subject to change, based on availability of the materials I've chosen to do them. So don't hold me to it just yet. The discounts for those V.2 members back in April of '07, will be approx $25-$30 based on this "tentative" projection. So bear with me :lol:

FP

FP, I would really love some rubber knees from you. I have the V1 of MOW, but after seeing your recent projects, I want more of what you have to offer :)

Thanks guys :)

Look for this to be happening sometime late January (I hope). This will be one of two major projects I've been itching to finish up. The other will be the V.2 Boba gauntlets (which HAVE to be ready before the end of January at all cost). So if all goes as planned, that's most likely all I'll be working on after the V.3 armor run for a 'lil bit (with the exception of a VERY few FPH's that have been promised for the month of January).

Keep a look out :cheers

FP

I have trooped in numerous parades, meet-and-greets, Fair's etc., wearing my BM fiberglass knees with Russ Rep darts. Never a problem, they are durable, comfortable, and I'd go with glass as my first choice .

I've been told on many occasions that the only time you really need to worry about cracking a set of knees is whe you're kneeling down, otherwise they don't move around too much.

My knees are made of glass, and I've never had a problem with them till DCon this year. My left knee is slightly larger then normal due to it being metal...and while crouching I got a very small (pretty much unnoticeable) stress fracture on the top. However, I'm graduating to metal knees so that shouldn't be a problem now.

Rubber knees sound interesting and very comfortable.

I have a set of some FG BM knees, and they haven't broken on me yet.
I talked to MOW and C told me that the the rubber knees probably weren't goign to be made or offered. He has a bunch of other projects he wants to donate his time to. Hyperfirm never did a run of the knees. JB may have made one set. But far as I know I really don't think they did.
I would be extremely interested in some FP rubbers....knees that is :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back