Idiot's guide to wireing?

Kale

New Hunter
Is there a resource I could utilize such as a book or website that can teach me how to wire things? I'd like to learn the basics behind something as simple as creating a battery powered LED light that I can switch on and off. I know it's not as easy as hooking a switch, battery, and a LED together on a few wires.

I understand LEDs are delicate and need specific currents. I understand it takes a lot of math. I just don't understand any of it.

Is there a way to learn all of this stuff without taking a college course in electrical engineering? Yes, I'm only really interested because of the flair it will bring to my prop building. That's why I'm asking you guys. Thanks in advance!

It's really not that hard to wire up a simple circuit. I've done it, and I have the electronic know-how of a mollusk. :lol:
Have you ever used a soldering iron before? That's probably the trickiest part for me; soldering the connections without melting an LED or resistor.

Superjedi, the last time I used a soldering iron was when I was 10. Oddly enough I was attempting to replace the red bulb on my Star Tours blaster with a green Christmas tree light. I got it done clean but needless to say it did not work lol. Now look at me 10 years later here I am again.... I'd have not thought about that if it wasn't for you... Thanks for the encouragement!

You could try the Electronics for Dummies book. I am currently reading that one and it is helpful for electronically challenged people such as myself.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back