Arden "Lucky" Fisk

As of right now, I'm 3/4 done with the coat.

I started with a old trenchcoat my friend had used on a Irvine (Final Fantasy 8 ) costume. So it was free!

First I cut off the sleeves at the elbow (please ignore our ugly apartment floor):

coat1.jpg

I sewed on the strap that holds the coat together in the back and the little sleeve buckles, then dyed the whole thing a few shades darker:

coat2.jpg

I had designed my mythosaur skull a little while ago, enlarged it up to 500%, cut out the pieces to make a template, then traced the template onto the same fabric I used for the kama.

I got some Innerfuse (stiff fuseable interfacing) and used the iron to fuse it to the orange fabric:

coat3.jpg

Then I cut out the pieces, arranged them correctly on the coat, and fused them in place with the iron. To get rid of the little bits of interfacing that were visible, and also to make it look a lot cooler, I then went around and embroidered a border around every piece.

I also embroidered the number 25 in Aurabesh on the back strap, and used a shoulder buckle from a pair of overalls so secure the strap.

coat4.jpg

Finally, I've added the shoulder armor by riveting it to the fabric.

coat5.jpg

I still have to make and embroider the collar tabs, do the weathering, And I'm debating putting the white fist logo somewhere along the bottom edge.

Lucca makes me ashamed of the little progress I've made by doing fantastic stuff like this on a weekly basis.

I'm gonna go hang my head in shame now.

Oh psh, Sam. It'll make you feel better to think of me as a loser with no social life. :) Your stuff is turning out awesome too, so don't you start complaining!

Well, my excuse is I have kids. Other than that I'm a loser with no social life.

Egadd! You quilted your Kama!?!

I love all your little touches, because they are original and give me my own little ideas. At the same time, I hate how well yours is coming along, because it just keeps raising the bar. So much of mine is unmodded stuff "because no-one will notice."

Ahhhh! Quilted!

One of the things I love most about a good costume is that it looks good from 20 feet away, and it also looks good from 1 foot away. There's a big cohesive theme to it that's apparent when you see the suit as a whole, but then you get right on top of it and look at individual pieces and the depth and interest is still there, on a whole new level.

Thats why I love the 501st so much. They don't stop at that '20 feet away' point, like a lot of other groups do.

wow...how far off finished are you...must just be a matter of mounting the leg plates and getting a flight suit now!

The flight suit arrived in the mail yesterday. I have to do some modifications to it, but nothing too substantial.

I still have to:
build the gauntlets
make the sword/sheath
make my pistol/holster
mount leg plates
recieve, mod, and paint the helmet

Updates!

BIIIIG thanks to BradleyFett for his amazing helmet kit. Easy to put together and fun as hell.

The main modifications I did to this are the mohawk ridge (I asked BradleyFett for a second dome section I could cut the piece out of... which was sooooo much easier than trying to make my own) the 'radio' antenna, speaker, and input buttons on the opposite side of the rangefinder, and my big major scratch down the face. I also did some other mild scratch weathering.

The custom earpiece was made from Sculpey clay and little bits and pieces cut from a garbage can, which were added to the original earpiece. There's a speaker made from mosquito net, as well. Gaps were filled with plumber's putty.

unpaintedhelmet.jpg

Then the fun part began.

I painted the inside black, purely for my own aesthetics, and did the outside in the 'hammered metal' paint.

helmprogress1.jpg

Then the yellow...

helmprogress2.jpg

Then it was all detail work. Same methods as I used on the armor.

helm1.jpg

helm2.jpg

helm3.jpg

helm4.jpg

And a couple of closeups. The first of the 'radio' ear and large cheek gash:

helmclose1.jpg

And the second of the rangefinder earpiece, with significant chipping.

helmclose2.jpg

I like the hammered metal paint a lot more on the helmet than I did before. It makes it look like heavy metal.

Very nice indeed.

Does sculpey self harden, or do you have to heat it.

You have to bake Sculpey in the oven. When it dries, it has much the same texture as dried plumber's putty, but a bit softer and easier to file and shape.

I usually sculpt the basic shape of what I'm going for and do the finish work in sanding once I've baked it.

Thanks for the info. Ill have to play with sculpey. Whats the temp it gets baked at?

One thing I want to mention, which makes your stuff look 'more realistic' than a lot of aging/weathering is that you tend to put your damage in places, where it would likely happen. Quite often people put random damage, and on the wrong faces of things and your mind is thinking 'hmm how in the world would that get damaged' as opposed to taking something and thinking ok, if a projectile grazed it, it would leave a dent here, a scrape here, and skip this indent and end up here.

If that makes any sense.

That is one of the things I notice on your paint / weather work thats important.

When I first started painting things to be 'weathered' I actually lightly painted a helmet with a very soft primer. Then I put it in a box with a bunch of otehr junk, and shook the hell out of it. And left it to roll around in the back of my jeep for a week. Then when you look at it you go 'ahh so thats where the scratches end up:")

Very nice work. Im looking forward to seeing it worn.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back