Spackling Paste

Lord Mirdalan

New Hunter
has anyone used lightweight spackling paste on their helmet? I'm making a scratchbuilt and I was wondering how you got the spackling to stick to a surface...

spackle isn't very durable... it will chip out much much easier than bondo. i think it would work if you put it on thin and let it dry between coats, but i'd recommend some good old bondo instead!

spackle isn't very durable... it will chip out much much easier than bondo. i think it would work if you put it on thin and let it dry between coats, but i'd recommend some good old bondo instead!
I agree, I used spackle on my jet pack and after a while, it just flaked off. use the bondo it dries easier and quicker depending on how well you mix it. it sands very nicley too. it also takes paint very well. hope this helps.

Just a warning Bondo REEKS it really smells bad. So unless your going to do it in a workshop or outside there are going to be bad smells in your house.

you could use epoxy, two part hardening kind, when i modified a sgt. fang helm of mine and needed some filler i just mixed some up and t worked great.

just a thought if you don't want to bondo it

I used plaster of paris and cheese cloth. And made the plaster thin but not too thin and slid it through the bowl with plaster and then slaped it on the bucket. be sure the bucket is in the rite shape because it will stay like that. IT IS VERY MESSY!!!

I used drywall compound on the dome of my scratch built helmet and it worked just fine. It just takes a long time as you have to lay down thin layers. I then coated mine with poly eurethane ( for finishing furniture ) to give it a nice plastic coating. The final imperfections were then removed/filled in with bondo spot and glazing putty.

I can only speak from personal experience, limited as it is. :) I used the regular old two-part bondo, small can from Wal-Mart. Mixed up a small amount, stirred it together with tongue depressors and spread it on. I worked in the garage with the garage door up, and the smell was not too bad. I am glad I used it on plastic. The spackling paste is not going to flex very much and I don't know how well it sticks to plastics.

When you apply the bondo, try to make it smooth when you are applying it. I had some raised spots and ridges that took some serious sanding to get rid of. The smoother it is when it's applied, the less work afterwards.

Keep in mind that I had NEVER worked with bondo before and found it easy to work with. A body shop bud of mine called working with bondo "spreadin' mud". That's a pretty accurate description. :lol: It dries fast.

BTW, I let my kids, ages 4 & 6, slap some of it on with the tongue depressors. It was quite a sight! :lol:

This explains the extra sanding I had to do, ;) but I wanted my girls to get involved with my Boba project.

Try both spackling paste and bondo on some scrap material. See which one works better for you. Go ahead and prime and paint some of it, too.

Good luck, and post pix. (y)

Don't drop your helmet! Spackling paste is not made for flexible materials. It will work if you are in a hurry and want to get things done by tomorrow, but time, temperature, and humidity will cause it to return to its natural state. It gets extremely brittle. Even on my cardboard stuff that is just sitting on a shelf, the stuff is cracking.

Thanks for the warning dungObeetle, but I think that mine should be fine seeing as it was completely sealed with multiple coats of poly eurethane. ( I've also already trooped in it in the freezing cold. Not a single hair-line crack yet. ) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried using vinyl spackling on my scratchbuilt, hoping that it wouldn't crack as easily, and i even let it cure overnight, but it shrunk slightly during the night, and there were cracks all over it. I just ended up chipping it all off, and using bondo-glass, sold by bondo - it's bondo, resin, and shortstrand fibers. Hard as steel even with a thin coat, and easy to spread. Still stunk like hell tho, use an open area.

I remember reading your topic (was it yours?) and remember the vinyl spackling, I almost picked up some at Lowe's
I picked up some bondo two days ago, can't wait to use it!
Is there a tutorial on applying fiberglass and such?

Spackle can work if you take your time. The key is make it a little watery, not running but close. Thin layers. Apply, dry, sand, repeat many many time. Then when you've got the shape just right. Seal with varnish, Sand and paint. Yes if you drop it from a significant height it will crack a bit but easily repaired. I've done one with Bondo and one with Spackle. Really personal choice. Of course all this said, going to buy a Sgt. Fang one day when I can afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back