My 1st Bucket

Aeonjeth

New Hunter
O.K. so I cheated and got my first bucket from The Bay. It'll be here for Christmas! I'm very excited. It's a mystery ESB...standard paintjob and I think I'll need to get a new visor. Paid about $220 for it, probably inflated a bit since it is Christmas time. Any thoughts as to whether I got a decent price?

Pics:

bb66_1.jpg

c8ca_1.jpg

bf44_1.jpg

Anyone see any glaring issues with it? I'm thinking of repainting it, but I have no experiance whatsoever. I'll check the painting FAQs. Is it possible to do a good paintjob with just spraypaint?

Now it's time to start researching Armor! Timing's perfect with the new v.3s out. I'll proabbly try to get ahold of an already finnished V.2 for now...consider upgrading when I'm done with Lawschool.

Anyway, Thanks for all the guidance everyone. Looks like I'm officially on my way to Fetthood!

- Pete

Hey man,
The helmet looks good, but I'm not expert. Only two things that I saw...
1. The RF stalk. Is it just leaned forward a bit, or is that as straight up as it goes?

2. The back curve along the bottom of the helmet looks curled under a bit... maybe it's just the shadows.

Other than that, it looks pretty sweet.

Hey man,
The helmet looks good, but I'm not expert. Only two things that I saw...
1. The RF stalk. Is it just leaned forward a bit, or is that as straight up as it goes?

2. The back curve along the bottom of the helmet looks curled under a bit... maybe it's just the shadows.

Other than that, it looks pretty sweet.

Hmm, Not sure on either of those...

I assume that the RF stock isn't up all the way. if not, it's pobably a quick fix to take it off and shave away whatever is obstructing the motion.

As for the curling - I didn't notice anything. It may just be forshortining, or as you said, shadows. I feel like it's so tough, given the multipul angles, to tell. that fix would be a bit tougher I think, so we'll see if it's really obnoxious and maybe i'll throw the sucker in the oven. If I try, I'll probably do more damage than good :eek: Here's another pic, looks like it was taken from the back left side...I hope that's not just lopsidedness I see:

c4f5_1.jpg

not to sound harsh bro but Is it too late to get a refund? I too saw this helmet and noticed that it was either a DP or a Rubies. the ear pieces don't match up to the bucket size meaning either they are too big or the bucket is too small. it also has an odd shape to it, the back was very flat and warped. given that the helmet needed alot of work like resanding and painting, I didn't feel that $220 was a good price. I'd like to see how it turns out when your done bro.

P.S always check the Cargo here first before you buy anything from "FleaBay"

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, i hope i dont offend u or nething casue this is just my opinion and helpfull advice to pass to a fellow TDH member :)

the bucket looks real warped and looks to me like mabye a rubies or a DP??. those usually require a re-paint neway and some re-working to make things look better.....

goodluck and im excited to see ur work up on ur new bucket!! (y) :)

if u need help in painting or other stuff there are alot of member here who are glad to help including myself! also check out AFFO$ sticky thread at the top of the helmet section, he has a list of spray paint colors to use! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like it's been vac-formed over another helmet. The rounded features, like the edges of the ridge that goes over the eyes and around the back, has very soft contours. Makes it look like a vacuum formed plastic lid.

Well, looks like I'll be doing a project-bucket from the start. I suppose it's easyer than Building one out of the WOL templates like I origionally planned. I'll post and advice/progress thread once I get the thing and adress my situation. I appreciate the posts and PMs guys. If you have any thoughts or other imput, I egarly await your reply.

Now, to start figuring out how to cram as much bad-feedback into the space alotted by Ebay as possible

- Pete

Don't blame yourself. There are a lot of people who don't know the accuracy of buckets/other armor who go to ebay, and people capitalize on this by overpricing pieces of junk. Although this helmet's not THAT bad, just probably not worth what you paid.

There was a thread on here where someone was selling vac formed helmets for around $70, run a search and see if you can find that (I'd do it for you, but I'm feeling kind of lazy right now :lol:)

Post or PM if you need any help with anything.

Yeah, don't beat yourself up. It isn't in perfect condition, but it is doable.

From my, largely untrained eye, it looks like just bending it back into shape is the only really bad thing with it. It is perfect for a starter. I'm SBing mine, and yes it is a lot of work, but once you get doing it, it is SO much fun.

There are several tutorials floating around about using Craft Rings to bent back Rubies helmets into shape. Maybe you could use that along with a heat gun, a strong hairdryer, or an oven to help bend it back into shape. I don't know the material it is definately made of, but that should work. Anyone else think that is pretty correct?

Don't let me be the advice you go on by anymeans, get someone else to qualify my advice before you do it. :lol:

...There was a thread on here where someone was selling vac formed helmets for around $70, run a search and see if you can find that (I'd do it for you, but I'm feeling kind of lazy right now :lol:)

Post or PM if you need any help with anything.

Bradleyfett made that kit and TK7602 posted a progress thread on assembly/painting one. That may help narrowing down the search.

Update: Just got my bucket in the mail. Thank god it turns out it isn't warped. Still paid to much for it, and it needs some work...a paint job and a new visor, but other than that i'm happy. time to work on the rest of the suit, then i'll see about going back over the helm. thanks to all of those who PMed and posted. i'll keep you guys updated on progress if I decide to remodel it =)

You'll probably surprise yourself with how good a simple re-paint and new visor will make the helmet look, good luck, share progress pics!! (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back