LATER friends On the TDH

Everything is 2nd best short of having the actual screen used helmet - period.

But lets talk about these plugs and such,
who can say what damage and scratches and wonkiness was caused by poor casting or bad handling? Who is to say that these coveted and quickly recasted "official" copies of one of the alledeged line up of Fett helmets was given kid glove care when molded? Perhaps this had a big impact on the overall pulled piece, I don't know....:facepalm

It appears they were quickly molded/recasted because it was a no-no.
What about the handling of the costumes pieces over the years. I've seen pics of the ankle spats displayed over the wrists!
Who can say whats completely accurate based on photos from when the costumes were haphazzardly thrown onto old shelving (as seen in the cd pics) and such have caused ?

At any rate, the MR for me is a helmet I can get that was digitally scanned from an official helmet which I think looks really good and with some minor touch ups can be made very screen accurate.

The best part is I (and anyone)can get one without having to confim my alliances/friendships here or having to deal with someone doing a half-cocked background check on me just to get something fan made around here,
by begging for one or having to "kiss up" constantly and hope...or having to deal with secret web sites inside this web site, broken promises, certain people getting stuff then throwing it up in everyones faces who did not, pics that were supposed to be posted "for the community" but were not, ect, ect, ect, blah, blah blah,

You know - Jason had the right idea and I shame myself for not following his lead earlier - good by all......

I prefer to leave here with my dignity not having to begg someone for something...

Skygunbro and pghfett,
I got alot of respect for the both of you and we have even talked one on one over the years about this and many other things in this wonderful hobby. While I totally respect your decision to do what you are doing, again, as some of our fellow TDHers have mentioned, allowing the "cool Kids Club" to have that much power is not worth the effort. We all know it exists, but ignoring them and letting them feel like they are better than everyone else honestly is the best way to deal with them. I've fought this battle before way back when and it never really changed. Heck, I've even been called a "CKclub member" myself, but the fact remains at the end of the day you are what you are. Being "someone" on the net and being that persona in person is worlds apart. I found this out at C3 when I went to TDH get together. Needless to say if you dont recall me being there (for those who are thinking back) I was, but as the cliques broke off into their groups I just went back to my room kinda befuddled and discouraged to find that newbies and or newer members weren't really welcome. Not excluded, just not openly welcome. Even got snubbed by a GREAT contributor to the Clonetroopers.net when I complimented his costume.
No,I am not bothered byit and I contribute it partially to my own inability at the time to justjumping in and introducing myself. I met Seeker and MiraxH, both of which were very cool.

Anyway, my point being, with things like this a thick skin is almost a necessary commodity. It's not that anyone wants to be a jerk (in this community), but it's not an easy club to be apart of outside of the people in the know. We have our fair share of people who do not need to be representative of what TDH is all about,but you'll have that in any club. I'm a proud member of the 501st and if you think there are elitists here...well within the 501st dynamic there are worse people and they don't og out of their way to hide it either.

I'm not defending anyone, but guys you make this hobby and are both major contributors. Let the kids play in the street, they will learn that what goes around, comes around. Karma always wins regardless.
peace bros!

jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow!! :eek:

Jason... now Mike???

Okay seriously! What the heck is going on????? :confused :(

Am I missing something here?? :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry theres no "cool kids" here anyway, by societies standards were all a bunch of freakn dorks that play dress up.:lol: Cool kids on a costuming forum hunh, that's like saying I'm the smartest kid in a class full of children with down syndrome. :rolleyes I know what SGB is saying and it's been going on for years, however TDH is for the most part a wonderful resource for this hobbie. As with anything in life, you just gotta look past the BS. On that note, if ANYBODY ever needs my help (newbe or not)please feel free to PM and I'll do what I can for you.:)

The biggest one is the elitist attititude held by alot of the senior members.

I have seen this exact phrase thrown around more than I care to think about but the fact is, it is simply a generalization. What does that mean? What SPECIFICALLY is it that senior members are doing that if so offensive? I would like to see a list because people are quick to throw out "elitism" but we never get a clear picture of what specific incidents create this general feeling.

The other reason is the deception the certain few priveldged ones that say "poof" look what I made and never have to show WIP pics but are the first to ask others "where are the WIP pics." and basically insinuated you copied it.
These guys are protected because they make cool stuff and if slapped on the hand for their actions they retaliate by not selling their wares to the people that reprimanded them.So what happens...they get away with anything and everything.

This is an issue for the mods to take up so I won't touch it.

Some of these people have attained a GOD complex and all their little minions that follow them around and treat them as such just compound the complex.

Can't argue this one at all. I don't think this is a result of inaction on the administrations part... simply that some people have ego's that constantly need stroking and as long as they are providing product there will always be people lining up to stroke them. It is unfortunate but what would you have the administration do about it? What is your solution to this issue?

I also think that blackballing people all the time from certain for sale items is wrong and should not be allowed.Unless you know its a recaster then all items should be offered to anyone who wants them and not because you know the right people or greased the right palms.

If your doing a limited run and the allotment has been bought up then fine but open ended runs should be offered to anyone who wants them.

There is a lot going on here but also a lot of deplorable insinuations on your part. Do you have any proof that any palms have been "greased?" Basically you are making accusations that certain individuals have somehow paid to be in the in-crowd so they can get items. Are you just making defamatory generalizations or do you have proof? Comments like these are boarding on libel and are pretty low. Trying to make your point by making wild accusations is a very dangerous thing.

In regard to your belief that a seller should sell to anyone who wants an item, that could be argued either way. In a perfect world it would be nice. However, there is no law that you MUST sell to everyone and wouldn't you be unhappy if the administration tried to force you to sell an item to someone you didn't want to. What is completely pathetic and contemptible are those who more or less hang their products over a potential buyers head in an effort to mainpulate them or won't sell to them because they won't lick the boots of the seller and slander the seller's enemies. And yes... that goes on here, but I would again ask you, what is your realistic expecation of the administration in these instances? Should they force a seller to sell to certain individuals? Should they ban those who won't? Do you really want a board that attempts to exhert that type of tyranny over its members?

Another thing there are some people on here who never help out and only come on here to hock their wares...

Yes, there are. And again, those who feed off this board like a vampire are pathetic and little more than leeches... but again, there are people like that on every board.

And the MR helmet thread isnt what set me off it just added to it.My point was that the MR helmet is the most accurate bar none readily available helmet as compared to the rubies,Don post DP deluxe....Am I wrong???
And dont like being shat on or made out to be a tool because of my opinion. Am I a fett expert...NO never claimed to be I thought that was the point of the board for people wanting to learn...So Ill leave you few "experts" to quibble amonst each other......

I have never claimed to be a Fett Expert, nor have I pooped on you or made you out to be a tool. Your statement in the MR helmet thread was simply wrong. I corrected you but apparently YOU are too high and mighty to be capable of being wrong. If you really wanted to learn, you would have seen my post as a helpful correction instead of seeing it as some type of attack.

The dented helmet is a good place with ALOT of good people and yes it has its issues like anywhere else but until these issues and the people that create the issues get weeded out then I chose not to be a part of it.

So in other words, until the world is made a perfect place by someone else, I am going to go hide in a corner and bury my head or go find another sandbox to play in. Instead of making a big melodramatic exit, if you cared about TDH, perhaps you could try to be a part of the solution and see what you could do to HELP the situation instead of simply wildly pointing fingers in the general direction of those you perceive to be the problem. There is plenty of blame to go around here, but your leaving sure doesn't take us any closer to a resolution. Very sad.

there's a lot of negative sort of stuff circling around the prop hobby surrounding elitism, favoritism, cliques, etc... always has been, always will be.

it usually revolves around peoples' willingness to share what they have or what they know.

there are those that do some really great thing and can't wait to share it with the world.

there are others that share with a limited set of friends and that's it.

any situation where people are regularly exposed to things that they can't have will generate some degree of negativity somewhere.

for whatever reason, there just seems to be a lot of it going around now. RPF, TDH, MEPD, etc... all seem to have something going on that comes back to the sharing thing.

it annoys me quite a bit, but it is what it is, and i just shrug it off and move on. i'm not going to let a few bleepin' bleeps get in the way of my fun :)

You are right Pennywise and while I used the term "cool kids" more as a term of description/example, its because I dont like the term "elitist". This community has been the best one of all the one's I frequent and while it is a public forum, it also means that people aren't perfect. I think Jason and Mike will be cool after this blows over because realistically this "problem" is not exclusive to TDH it is just the prop community in general and sometimes you can't do anything about how people treat one another.(IMHO)

jon

I can see why you are leaving....and I left for a while because of similar events, and things haven't really changed.

I have gotten in a few tussles on this forum, quite a few times.. Some were completely my fault...and others I was retaliating, and it just got shot into my face. I am actually surprised I was not banned, at least temporarily.

I came here, and I got some of the n00b treatment, but not much. Eventually, I got a "Know-it-all" attitude as well. Looking back at the arguments, I just read and say: "Wow"

Some other things on this forum bug the cr*p out of me...but that is the way it is run, and what the majority believe...oh well.

The fact is, there are many here who are protected by their high post count, and the fact they have been here for a while...while this is saddening, there is not much one can do about it.

And to the post of some who believe that other forums are like this, fact is...that's not entirely true, not one bit.

I am on a few other forums, and a current one I am on...I never see a conflict, as on TDH, you can expect one almost every other day.

Good luck with everything, and stay safe!

Sorry theres no "cool kids" here anyway, by societies standards were all a bunch of freakn dorks that play dress up.:lol: Cool kids on a costuming forum hunh, that's like saying I'm the smartest kid in a class full of children with down syndrome. :rolleyes I know what SGB is saying and it's been going on for years, however TDH is for the most part a wonderful resource for this hobbie. As with anything in life, you just gotta look past the BS. On that note, if ANYBODY ever needs my help (newbe or not)please feel free to PM and I'll do what I can for you.:)

OH MY GOD!!! :lol:lol::lol: I JUST SPIT DR. PEPPER ALL OVER MY MONITOR!!! Dang Pennywise, this is the second time you've brought me to tears !!! Thanks for putting this TOTALLY back into perspective! WE'RE ALL JUST THAT KID FROM 'GALAXY QUEST'!:cheers

P.S.-I think I've found my new 'signature'.

Sorry to see you go! But I can completely understand your reasons.

I feel that I have done my fair share of contributing to this board and helping out new members, but I find myself feeling like an outsider.

I can’t even get some folks to reply to my PM’s and e-mails when I want to get in on a run. I have even gotten hate mail accusing my work (templates & patterns) of infringing on their prop business. I just don’t understand the attitudes of some folks.

Good luck with your new ventures.

Alan

Let me get a couple things cleared up:

I never dumped on the admin here...just was wondering why certain behavior goes unchecked....I understand in the end people are responsible for their own behavior and there isnt much that can be done.

As for libel comments I have had my name an rep. dragged through the mud here a couple times when I was accused of recasting or possible attempting to recast... this went un checked.....

I can admit when Im wrong I do all the time and Im wrong all the time. But I responded to a "WHATS YOUR OPINION" thread and you came in and so graciously corrected me as you put it....Fine.. but admit it or not it was done in a very snide and condescending way.....

Being in the position you are and having the status you have I was surprised to see the comment from you.I figured you would lead by example....and act and treat others in a way you would expect the rest of the board members to act.

Read above alot of others feel the same as me so its not just my imagination I just happen to be stupid enough to say it outloud.

This thread wasnt started to make a dramatic exit or have a soap opera ending it was started for the sole purpose of saying goodbye to my friends I have made on here and to explain a little why I was going... I have made alot of friends and for me to PM them individually would take awhile.
Think what you want I know why I did it and thats all that matters.

Brak maybe some time we can put this behind us and be "good" again on a personal level. Feel free to email me at skygunbrojpw@yahoo.com I will make my phone number available and we can disguss this like adults.I feel further posting will be counter productive.And im sure you would agree.
This has turned into a skygunbro vs. Braks show so I think we should take it private and let everyone get back to their regularly scheduled program.-

Im sorry to hear that your no longer going to be a major part of the TDH community, and hope the best for you.

As a neutral view on this, I think this quarrel should remain private. Its not fair to the newer memers that they have to see this.

-tubachris

SGB, I thought you were one of the gods (in a very non-elitest way)on TDH! Good luck to you.

P.S. Thanks to all of the others that have treated newbies like me well. Wizard of Flight you rock! :cheers

Jake

I hate to see battles going on in any forums but unfortunately they do. I feel TDH is one of the places where they happen far less frequently than on other boards... if you think this place is bad... go play on the RPF for a few weeks.

Jason, I'm sorry to see you leaving... I'm sad to see anyone leave this great community. Especially someone with talents to offer the membership such as you have. You've been a great help to many people (including myself... I wear one of your flightsuits) and feel that you leaving is a shame. I hope you reconsider.

Braks, I think even you might want to look at some of the comments you made and think about how others may view them. You might be surprised to see that some do come off as elitist. Sorry bud.

Everyone... take five and chill. This community has a lot to offer everyone and I feel if everyone just took a step back and a deep breath they might see that it will be alright again.

Braks, I think even you might want to look at some of the comments you made and think about how others may view them. You might be surprised to see that some do come off as elitist. Sorry bud.

No worries. If I am wrong or came across in a wrong light, then you, and the board have my apology. My intension is never to come across as an elitest. I am no better than anyone here and while I would like to think my contributions have been helpful, they are no more important than the contributions of anyone else. I simply weary of the seemingly growing trend to bash the old guard and to have an entitlement mentality when it comes to certain pieces or certain runs. I also grow very tired of hearing the administration bashed because they didn't handle issue x exactly as a particular member believes it should be handled and therefore the administration is clearly corrupt and showing favoritism. I get tired of the negativity and the desire to dogpile at every turn. I get tired of those with agendas and tired of those who imagine everyone has an agenda.

I have been here as long as anyone. I love this board. I love the community. I honestly believe this to be the best run board in the prop community with the best members. I simply hate seeing it tear itself apart.

While I stand by my statements, if I came across overly harsh in the way I said them, you have my sincere apology.

I hate to see battles going on in any forums but unfortunately they do. I feel TDH is one of the places where they happen far less frequently than on other boards... if you think this place is bad... go play on the RPF for a few weeks.

it's true. sad but true. you wouldn't think a bunch of people making props could be so angry sometimes

If you think threads about recasting or shoddy work here can get ugly, you should see some of the posts on replica prop forum.

This is very saddening, partly because I now know I will never get my hands on a skygunbro flightsuit, but mostly because an essential part of our community is departing. Thanks for all you've done, skygunbro. Catch ya on the flipside.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back