Advice for the new chic

urban sniper

New Hunter
Let me begin by saying that I am not new to Star Wars, and I have been a gamer for many years, so my nerd status is established. However, I have never had the opportunity to go to a con before, due to work and the like. Now, thanks to a better more flexible job, I can! But I need to finish my armor. And, obviously, the most important part is the helmet. I've got everything else figured out. The problem is that I get mixed info about various helmets...Rubbies, Don Post '95 or'96, Don Post Deluxe, the Mystery Helmet, and (I WISH) the Marrow Sun helmet. Obviously some modifacations will be required no matter what I end up with. And I'd just like to get the opinion of veterans which helmet mods better and holds up better. Help me out, guys! Thanks.

Welcome to the community Urban_Sniper... (y)

First off what sort of budget are you thinking of, I ask this as there are more suppliers of lids than you think? SF/TF/FP/Bobamaker all these (and more) are very reputable makers and have supplied many Fetts here on this board. But obviously each maker/supplier has their own price tag and varying degrees of 'prep' work required.
What I did when searching for mine was to check out the threads of new releases or 'runs' in the helmet section and made my own choice from there.

I expect that the helmet will be the most expensive aspect of the amor, as it is the "face" of the costume, so to speak, and the single most recognizable item in my regalia. It is important to note that I do not intend to make an exact Boba costume, as I obviously come equiped with a few accessories he does not have :lol: The costume will be a medium weight urban sniper, hence the screen name, and will have a more functional color scheme than the iconic blue-green. None the less, I intend to represent my mando brothers and sisters to the best of my abilities, and budget. I'd like to keep it under $400, I've got a good job with flexible hours, but I didn't say they paid me very well.

Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the board. Is the $400 budget for helmet, or the entire costume? You can get pretty much any of helmet kits for under $400. As you mentioned the Don Post helmets would be the cheapest option. I would stick with finding a DP95 or DP96, as the shape is much better than the DP97. Or you can check out some of the makers here. You can search the helmet forum and look at progress pics to see how they can turn out. Here are some makers to look at, in no particular order-

Bradleyfett- now offering a very affordable vac formed bucket
MarrowSun- MS series
Bobamaker- BM buckets
TerminalFettler-TF buckets
Skygunbro- SGB buckets
Fettpride- Offering limited run of FPH
Sgt Fang- Sft Fang resin kits

You can PM the members for prices and availability. You can also keep an eye on the cargo hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply mrgr8ness. I'll look into the makers here.

The $400 buget is for the helmet, not the whole suit. Of course, it wouldn't break my heart to get into a good bucket for less (lots less :)).

There's also Sgt. Fang. He makes a nice resin helmet kit as well.
The list that mrgr8ness posted is pretty comprehensive. Some of them come more "ready to paint" than others, but as he said, you can contact each person to get specific details on their helmets.

Welcome to the madness! :)

If you are of average size and an average sized head, say about a 37-39, get yourself a Bobamaker Deluxe Helmet kit :D Ive got one and its beautiful.. Im planning on getting another one very very soon... with a few other things ;)

They come with everything you will need, including a hollow rangefinder, MQ1 board for the vent at the back, etc... Everything fits and No prep work, besides attaching everything and painting :D :D

It'll cost ya £120.00/~$250US for the helmet... Daz/Bobamaker also does paintjob commissions too...

Send him a PM here about it, or visit www.bobamaker.co.uk for ideas :D

hope that helps :)

Dont be afraid to get creative with your mando. One of the best things about doing a Fett that isnt a true "Fett" is the ability to be creative with in the Star Wars universe. My wife just signed up on this board and will be starting a thread soon showing off her progress as she makes hers.

I have taken the liberty in helping her make custom parts so she is not limited to the Fett parts others here make. Her shoulder bells are custom fiberglass parts, not at all like the normal Fett bells. Her bicept armor... yes thats right, bicept armor is not seen on the Fett as well as her chest armor that is a complete custom sculpt to fit the female form with out adding stupid gotty "Boobs" as you so often see on the sintra fem armor. Yet its still dangerous looking and sexy in its own way.

Marrow Sun makes 2 custom mando helmets that are to die for and a great starting point for a helmet if your not doing boba. If you want a decent helmet on the cheap that your going to paint up I sudjest getting a DP95 for your size or a Sgnt Fang helmet.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back