Newer member names?

Kar'buir would be Karen Traviss =) Good guess TK7602.

Yes, customs predominantly follow mando'a, and even then it's not all customs who use Mando'a. I do from time to time in my posts on the Mercs site. It's part of the new Mando popularity.

Cool. The vocabulary on that pdf link is pretty extensive. I have a hard enough time still learning spanish...so I'm out.:lol:

To each his own, I guess, when it comes to the films vs. EU.(y)

er's nofk's skdo' n' ner vod a'ol nl's fsord n'dks'' fe's sdio' euf nls'co l'of Cruzer?

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:lol::lol:

images.jpg

my guess is kar'buir = karen traviss , the author that wrote the mandalorian language.

i think this is sort of like that ever popular split between movie accuracy nuts and customs.

some of the folk here are recreating a specific thing from a movie (like, say boba or jango!), and don't care much about the books / backstory / EU that surrounds it all.

then others are really into the expressive stuff... customs with backstories and language and all that sort of thing.

i've read a couple of the EU books with heavy fett stories, but i don't really get into it much.

Right there with ya. I like the Fetts onscreen, and too have read a few of the Boba Fett stories in books, but have never once even tried to go looking for a "real Mandalorian language" to speak ( to whom? ). Boba's the original from the movies, I'll just stick with him, thanks.

I dunno...it all seems very Trekkie to me. I thought they had the corner on the whole imaginary language thing with the Klingon stuff. C'mon people, in the whole Geek hierarchy, Star Wars has always been above Star Trek. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno...it all seems very Trekkie to me. I thought they had the corner on the whole imaginary language thing with the Klingon stuff. C'mon people, in the whole Geek hierarchy, Star Wars has always been above Star Trek.
-Arguably valid point.

Ripcode, that was too funny.

I dunno...it all seems very Trekkie to me. I thought they had the corner on the whole imaginary language thing with the Klingon stuff. C'mon people, in the whole Geek hierarchy, Star Wars has always been above Star Trek.
You said exactly what I was thinking...just you said it with tact...I would have gotten banned! :lol:

Personally, I put Karen Traviss on the same level of writer as Tolkien. If you know anything about the guy, you know he created multiple languages and an entire history of Middle Earth, not just the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. The languages (Sindarin, Qenya, Khuzdul, Black Tongue) help the reader to develop a deeper understanding of the world he created. Same thing goes with Karen's writing. The addition of Mando'a and all the cultural elements she writes into the stories give them so much more realism than a lot of SW authors. Her characters actually feel like real people with families and jobs and relationship problems, rather than the flawless heroes that so many people in the SW universe are.

Hehe there are three kinds of fans - movie fans, EU fans and the-whole-dish nerds such as meself :)

But I agree, I always was into Star Wars having a language, and I'm glad it's Mandalorian. For me, Boba is a bounty hunter though... never got him in my mind as being a Mandalorian -- he just wears the uniform of a Mando Protector. That's one of the things I disagree with Traviss (Making Boba Mandalore), but I think she's a great writer and has contributed greatly to the SW saga. But each has different opinions, and there's respect hopefully between these groups.

Oh and one thing - even though your costume can't be "screen" accurate, there's no reason it can't be realistic and interesting. There are a couple of Customs that are great, and a couple that are terrible.

My name's Icelandic though.

hi, the republic commando books have alot of mando language in them, triple zero has a reference in the back of the book to help translate, i think it adds depth to the mando culture.

I think thats kinda childish of you to post that honestly. She's an author thats helping promote the idea that your costume comes from...Star Wars.

Before people start taking this thread somewhere it shouldn't go, we need to realize two things. 1. There are different types of fandom. 2. Someone who is helping drive the universe your costume comes from shouldn't be trashed for her hard work. Karen doesn't care for the fame honestly as she has said her job is to write books, perhaps you should get to know her before making presumptuous statements Andy.

For anyone who has a problem with people using Mando'a names...I say get over it and learn to respect every facet of what Star Wars has to offer people. I would think this community wants to be friendly with all Star Wars fans, because working together and being tolerable is what helps Star Wars costuming grow as a whole.

I have met Karen Traviss several times in the past, as well as being her personal bodyguard for an hour at C4 because she didn't want to be alone for fear of a fan attacking her due to the Mara Jade fiasco. I have met, worked with, hung out, and have personal contact information to scores of other celebrities, and what I have learned in the past is that most celebrities want to be treated like normal human beings.

Karen Traviss is an extremely nice woman, she's just getting a TON of attention for a little language that seems to be taken way too seriously. If her work disappointed her fans, she would feel bad, but she's constantly been succeeding and from what I've seen, she enjoys the attention way too much.

I think thats kinda childish of you to post that honestly. She's an author thats helping promote the idea that your costume comes from...Star Wars.

Before people start taking this thread somewhere it shouldn't go, we need to realize two things. 1. There are different types of fandom. 2. Someone who is helping drive the universe your costume comes from shouldn't be trashed for her hard work. Karen doesn't care for the fame honestly as she has said her job is to write books, perhaps you should get to know her before making presumptuous statements Andy.

For anyone who has a problem with people using Mando'a names...I say get over it and learn to respect every facet of what Star Wars has to offer people. I would think this community wants to be friendly with all Star Wars fans, because working together and being tolerable is what helps Star Wars costuming grow as a whole.

Amen to that Brother.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back