Jlucks' FPH Thread

Jluck

Active Hunter
11/30/07
slow going for me on this one. but ill take it!

im able to atleast do things slow and with handtools (needle files, sanding etc....w/ a lil assitance from the wife when it does come to the need of a dremmel etc.....im starting my FPH inside-out. working on getting the interior stuff taken care of like the foam quilted lining, MQ-1 mounted, cpu fans and visor install....... this progress will be slow! just a heads up!

speaking of visors, im starting my thread with a pic of the FPH with the visor installed. visor area still needs final trimming and sanding, but i needed to get the visor in so i can continue fitting pieces of foam for the lining. but i thought id share this one pic and start my thread :lol: ;)

i used boston aluminum screws to mount the visor. JB Kwik weld to mount the hardware, and 3/16" thick "seat washers" used in plumbing inside faucet stems.

the flash really pics up on all the lil nics and scratches dosent it :lol:

HPIM1188.jpg

YAY another FPH thread!!! I sooo cant wait to start on mine, your off to a great start and yeah Id love to see the visor install too (y)

Great start... got any pics of the inside / visor mounts? (y)

thanks guys! (y)

i will be posting pics of the inside and how the visor install looks real soon. ;)

i wanted to get a little further on things first so i have more pics and what not going on to keep my updates somewhat interesting. :lol: i got excited after i did the visor and had to share :eek:
........ ill most likely put the Mq-1 bracket tutorial in here as well so all my progress is saved in one thread, and post everthing i do in the same fashion..step by step.....

wow! its been awhile huh....:lol:

slowly but shirley i got some more things done to the FPH. although i am not ready for the detail work, but soon i should have all the base colors done. ive been practicing on re-habing my painting to get use to how my body operates now. never think you have to quit becasue something bad happens! just think of it as starting over and finding new ways to work.....so i have begun working on the ears.............

UPDATE 1/15/08

~ i drilled holes into the FPH where i wanted the screws to mount through. after that i held the ears onto the lid and once i found the correct position i taped then dwn, then from the inside marked the ears.

i then drilled out the holes so i can mount the screws onto the ears. i went just a touch deeper/wider than the screws so i could smooth epoxy over the top. just b4 the epoxy set i placed the ears onto the helmet so that the screws set just right according to the holes.

~ base coat done on all pieces. using floquil earth for the right ear pieces and testors rlm 83 for the left.

~ right ear: the grey was done on the right ear bottom w/ floquil sp lark dark gray, and floqul bright silver. flat black and white were used to hand paint the markings on the ear cap. as you can see i made a tiny mistake on the white, but hey i tried right! :lol:

~ left ear: again flat white to hand paint the marking. and i started to lay dwn the detail on the bottom. just the red so far. i used testors MM british crimson enamel.

*** the ears are NOT secured onto the helmet, so in the pics they are not positioned properly. ;)

well thats it so far. slowly im getting my painting dwn better and getting use to the airbrush again. hopefully soon i can start on the helmet detailing. im practing my movements on a pred bio helmet ATM, so far its looking goood for me! (y)

more to come (but dont hold ur breath! :lol: )

later guys, :cheers
~shawn

HPIM1422.jpg

HPIM1429.jpg

HPIM1425.jpg

HPIM1426.jpg

HPIM1427.jpg

HPIM1428.jpg

HPIM1430.jpg

HPIM1432.jpg

Nice updates...
Qn: did you find that your left ear piece does not reach either the top nor bottom? If you place it at the top of it's radius then you are approx 2-3mm short at the bottom of the lid? :confused

I ask as I'm doing the exact same thing with my ears? ;)

I also found this, and the top assembly of the left ear piece isn't square to the bottom piece, but I assume thats how its suppose to be I just never noticed :lol:

yep same here.....im looking into pics to see if it is suppose to be that way or not...if not it can always be fixed.

Just checked my Lid reference and it 'should' meet both top and bottom... as you say, should be easy (ish) to fix...
I'm not too worried about the left ear as it's so minimal.
And not to derail your progress Jluck... ;) or this awesome lid! 8)

Keep up the good work bro...

Hi guys,

If I'm understanding the issue correctly, this is because the helmet was designed to accommodate 3 different sized ear caps, as I didn't want to leave anyone in the cold. It was never really addressed in great detail, however it was mentioned early on by Spideyfett and I.

Basically, I needed to consider the available RS ear owners, my own scratch built caps, and then there are the aluminum ears much later in the project. And these were slightly larger in the test fitting. In the end, I made the bottom of the helmet SLIGHTLY longer (right about 3 mm) so that the end user could adjust this on their own depending on the ear cap choice. Either way you go, your not "sacrificing" anything along the lines of accuracy. I mean, we're talking 3 mm, no matter what caps you choose to use. BUT, for the record, trimming the helmet by 3 mm is the way the helmet was originally designed (ONLY AT THE EAR CAP AREAS OF COURSE). So if you're using the included resin ears ... your good as gold. My apologies for forgetting to address this in more detail :lol:

I will be using the aluminum ears as my new masters for all future FPH's, so if any current FPH owner would like a set, let me know and I'll give them to you at a nominal cost + shipping in the interest of satisfaction :)

Lookin great so far bro !!!!

:cheers

FP

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up Chris? it drove me mad for a couple of days! :wacko
So as 'not' to hijack Jlucks great thread... PM sent. ;)

Hi guys,

If I'm understanding the issue correctly, this is because the helmet was designed to accommodate 3 different sized ear caps, as I didn't want to leave anyone in the cold. It was never really addressed in great detail, however it was mentioned early on by Spideyfett and I.

Basically, I needed to consider the available RS ear owners, my own scratch built caps, and then there are the aluminum ears much later in the project. And these were slightly larger in the test fitting. In the end, I made the bottom of the helmet SLIGHTLY longer (right about 3 mm) so that the end user could adjust this on their own depending on the ear cap choice. Either way you go, your not "sacrificing" anything along the lines of accuracy. I mean, we're talking 3 mm, no matter what caps you choose to use. BUT, for the record, trimming the helmet by 3 mm is the way the helmet was originally designed. So if you're using the included resin ears ... your good as gold. My apologies for forgetting to address this in more detail :lol:

I will be using the aluminum ears as my new masters for all future FPH's, so if any current FPH owner would like a set, let me know and I'll give them to you at a nominal cost + shipping in the interest of satisfaction :)

Lookin great so far bro !!!!

:cheers

FP

hey man, i thought by the pics that was how the real lid looked. the way u designed the ear placement is a great idea! (y) hope it didnt sound like a complaint :) u went the exta mile once again to make sure everyone could use what ever ears they wanted....way cool

and no need to explain all the details :lol: your work says it all (y)

later bro

p.s., i would have more done right, but revaping myself to paint and all set me back and i w anted to make sure i was ready to tackle this awesome esb lid......so with a little practice heh heh i came up with this...................................... im highjacking my own thread lol

HPIM1452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, no need or you guys to apologize. It's my own fault for not addressing this when I should have :lol: It just slipped my mind is all.

Carrry on guys :cheers

FP

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back