My 501st info used against me

Jango 5204

Active Hunter
Most know that I'm a motorcop here in California. I'm one of 6 motorcops in our department, but I write the most tickets. I enjoy what I do and I'm good at it. Goes without saying, in a town of about 80k people get to know your name. Here's what happened.

I guess someone likes me enough :lol: to Google my name or something. My name comes up with a link to my profile at 501st.com. This gives my name, email, and of course my picture with my bucket off. So what do they do? They post it on Craigslist.com in the Rant and Rave section calling me names and whatnot. Now people are jumping on the bandwagon talking about making false accusations if "he writes you a ticket." Luckily I audio record every traffic stop.

I had to have my email removed from the 501st site, and had to request my bucket-off pictures be removed (If they'll do that).

So here's what I did. Craigslist terms of use specifically states that they will release the name of the poster if they post any personal info without consent. We''ll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch.
It kinda sucks that a profile intended for entertainment purposes can be used for this nature. Ruins the whole costuming gig for everyone except the idiots trying to mess with you.

Good luck fixing the problem. I hope that it gets rectified soon.

ZK

Just got an email reply. That was quick!

The post was removed, but they won't tell the poster info without a subpoena. We have one of the best computer crimes guys in the state at work. Maybe he can backtrack a little, on his off-time of course.

I'm just glad the post is gone. I can deal with the hate and the names, I get that everyday.:p

Hey Cruzer, where's the love????

Man that stinks, for petes sakes your only doing your job! If they don't want a ticket then drive the speed limit! Good think you record every stop there are so many losers out there you have to CYA any way you can.

Thank you for the job that you do! Stay safe!

Alan

This is exactly what have been trying to tell people I know over the last 3 or 4 months how ridicoulusly easy it is today to get into someones personal life via the internet. I deleted a few profiles, including that big brother of a "networking-social site", as that is an easy portal for folks to conduct all kinds of malicous actions via mulitple fake identities and such. People we would all normally never meet, deal with, or consort with on any level in real life can enter your world and cause severe malicous havoc. On the flip side, what's sad above and beyond, is that these malicous folks have absolutely no clue that they are subject to severe legal actions that can destroy them financially, as you will find that these same people have zero financial ability to defend themselves, let alone pay thier rent.

This sucks 5204, and I hope you find out who this person is and you have them prosecuted to the fullest extent under applicable laws. They exist, and people need to know that thier "online life" is actually no different than real life, and that in fact there is accountability to be had. Lawsuits and Subpeonas aren't served online. Please keep us posted as this evolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn man ... that is just awful. I'm glad to hear the post was removed and that somebody is looking further into it. And yes, your bucket-off picture can be removed from your profile (but it may take a little bit of time.) Just ask your GWL.

I had to have my email removed from the 501st site, and had to request my bucket-off pictures be removed (If they'll do that).

I'm one of the Legion's Web Deputies (howdy partner :lol: ) ... we can remove your email and your bucket off pic if you'd like while keeping your name or like Brian said, you can just be set to classified. That's up to you. If you're set to classified though I'm not sure what that does to your voting status when it comes to Legion votes for LCO etc... I'm not 100% sure how that works. Course, Brian could tell you since he's one of the Legion's web monkeys. ;)

I'm one of the Legion's Web Deputies (howdy partner :lol: ) ... we can remove your email and your bucket off pic if you'd like while keeping your name or like Brian said, you can just be set to classified. That's up to you. If you're set to classified though I'm not sure what that does to your voting status when it comes to Legion votes for LCO etc... I'm not 100% sure how that works. Course, Brian could tell you since he's one of the Legion's web monkeys. ;)

i actually don' know the membership database stuff very well at all... i can muddle through it in a pinch, but that's darren's baby. (doh! word censor bleeped out the name of the app!)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back