My SgtFang Boba Fett helmet build-up WIP (ESB style!)

kalkamel

Active Hunter
I thought I'd share with you guys the work I've done so far on my Boba Fett Mystery helmet, which I acquired from SgtFang in December last year. Here's how it looks like out of the box:
15-12-06_1557.jpg

15-12-06_1558.jpg

15-12-06_1559.jpg

Here's a pic of the ear pieces and rangefinder:
15-12-06_1600.jpg

The kit didn't come with any rangefinder stalk so I got mine from BKBT. His is cold cast aluminum:
15-12-06_1601.jpg

The lid was very cleanly cast so I just cut out the visor and keyslot holes, sanded it down and cleaned it with warm soapy water. I also gave it a good wipe of acetone to get rid of any residual mold release.

I then primed it with Krylon Grey primer. And then left it on a shelf gathering dust for over half a year. :rolleyes

Two months back, I saw the preview pics of the upcoming MR Boba Fett LE/SE helmet Jez posted here and was suddenly inspired to start the paintwork on my lid. I had done some research here on TDH on the types of paint to use, particularly Lee's suggested paint scheme. I couldn't find the recommended paints here in Malaysia so I opted for an assortment of Tamiya spray paint cans and acrylic paints instead.

I've never done complex weathering like this before so I was kinda nervous. Lucky for me, Superjedi had posted a step by step weathering tutorial here on TDH so I used that as a guideline (thanks, Eric!).

First I masked off the helmet rim, the mandible edges and the keyslots (a lot of masking tape was sacrified during this entire procedure, and many more will share that fate ;D) and painted the whole lid with Tamiya Olive Drab spray paint. As for the back portion of the helmet, I painted it with Tan, then stencilled on the "fjords of Norway" weathering details with a pencil which I then covered with some masking fluid. Once the fluid dried, I sprayed on Tamiya Dark Green. A few hours later I peeled off the dried fluid and voila!... the first level of weathering on the back is done.

The cheeks were painted with Flat Black and then the final major color application, i.e. the Dull Red on the rims, mandible edges and key slots was painted on. Boba is starting to surface! :happy

Here's the progress so far:

View of the front, all major colors applied:
DSC00399.jpg

Side view, showing the contrast between the Olive Drab of the dome and the dark green at the back:
DSC00400.jpg

"Fjords" weathering on the left side of the helmet back:
DSC00402.jpg

And the right (you can see the pencil marks!):
DSC00401.jpg

I masked the killstripes (14 for ESB), added masking fluid for the weathering details and then painted them Camel Yellow.

I then weathered the helmet stage by stage based on Superjedi's pics. A bit here and there day by day. I used different brush sizes, some toothpicks and crumpled tissue paper ends for the nicks and scratches and different types of paint, ranging from gun metal, silver and german grey (for the scorching). Two months later, the painting/weathering of the helmet is more or less done.

Here's the where it is now:
fett7.jpg

fett6.jpg

fett5.jpg

fett4.jpg

fett3.jpg

fett2.jpg

fett1.jpg

Last night I painted the ear pieces and the rangefinder stalk:
DSC00606-1.jpg

I still need to figure how to attach the stalk to the helmet. Any ideas? And I'm still on the lookout for a dark green visor (can't seem to find any here). Once all the parts are attached, I'll give the whole helmet a good grimming.

This is looking great! Man I can't wait to get to the paintjob on my lid.

I have a silly question - is the center area of the rangefinder earpieces left silver? For some reason I'm having a hard time finding the details on that part of the helmet's paintjob.

It's coming together very nicely. (y)

To attach the RF stalk, drill a hole through the side of the helmet in the position of the hole in the stalk, then add a flathead bolt, a washer and nut on the inside and you're good to go. (y)

Also, to answer your question: yes silver. :)
AoSW_2002-07-10_08.jpg

Thank you for this image. It's perfect. I don't know why I couldn't seem to find one that showed it that well before. Awesome.

It was Tamiya's Olive Drab. I agree it does look a tad dark. But that was the only one available in my neck of the woods.

Nice work bro! Thanks for sharing!

Actually bro, there is a closer Tamiya color to the screen used colors, best bet since you're using Tamiya. LMK if you want the info.

And I hope you locate that visor real soon. ;)

Stay safe,

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: 12/02/2007

Over the weekend, I fitted the earpieces and rangefinder stalk and added a bit more weathering. To finish it off, I grimmed the whole helmet down with a mixture of black acylic paint and glass cleaner. Now it looks downright dirty:eek:hbaby! The only thing waiting to be installed is the visor, hopefully I get that soon!

Anyway, on to the pics (sorry for the bad blurry pics):

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet5.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet7.jpg

helmet8.jpg

helmet9.jpg

Now that this baby's done, I can move on to my next paintjob, a CT Vader faceplate and generic dome:
helmet10.jpg

Kal,
Really nice work!
One piece of advice though: your RF stalk is backwards. The longer portion of the flat top should face forward. (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back