possible girth belt material

Good find. The 6mm bolo is what you would want, and you would need about 20 Meters for a 34-36 inch waist. 1 meter will equal about 1 braid. Jango's girth belt has 19 braids. Hence, you need about 20 meters.

wow they dont give that stuff away huh...its about 100 bucks just for the bolo needed for my belt..plus the leather..ouch...would you say the blackish color is good or go with a natural and dye it?

I would go with the dark brown or the natural.

Cruzer is the real expert on bolo material, so I'd wait for his input before ordering.

okay...cruzer? LOL

also if anyone is interested, I may be interested in making some of these hard to find girth belts as i may be able to get a good price on larger quantities of the bolo...speak up if interested...you can ask tony(itsthatguy) about my abilities as he has seen my wife's zam in person. I'll get all the cruzer specifics and make them the same way if he wouldn't mind and would only ask the cost of the materials, shipping and paypal fees, plus a tiny little labor cost of about $50 per belt. I know for me, needing about a 36" belt it would require about 20 meters of the bolo which runs about $100 and im sure with the other leather pieces and lace tie I could get it done for about $150 for each belt in materials. so you would be looking at most likely about $230 shipped in the us. I'll be able to give a more definate price once i connect on all the materials. if it's more or less I'll let you know once i do.

no money now just interest....

Yep! He scratch made pretty much everything on that Zam - leather sewing and all! (y) And the Zam turned out great!

JD - I am interested in one (I would only need a 35").

just to remind everyone when measuring...dont come up short cause you have to put this thing over your flightsuit, vest, cod and holsters! also this braided cord looks very similar to the stuff cruzer used. the dark brown color is very close and it is 6mm. this is 6 ply as apposed the the 4 ply he used...not real sure what the difference is as they look very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested for sure.

My waist measures 34" over a t-shirt ( across my navel ), so not too sure what that would up-size to with all of the other gear in place. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that if you go with your size over a sweatshirt you should be good, with the closure in back you would have some room for expanding the size. just dont want to go bigger than the leather lace cover will hide. and dont forget as well that this is accross the navel...not your waist or pants size...i made that mistake when i ordered my maul belt..LOL

Also, if you get 20 meters per person, that's actually about 21 yards, leaving two whole extra yards if you were making a 36" belt. That's an extra 3" per braid if you split it up. So 20 meters could probably fit up to a 39" belt.

Here's what you'll get from them. The top three are 6mm 6-ply and from the top are black, Antique brown, and Neutral. The bottom is 5mm 6-ply Dark Brown.

Thanks Foxbatkllr for the vote of confidence, but I'm no definitive source...I'm just a guy who has spent too much time playing with leather:facepalm:lol:. Like Foxbatkllr already knows, the accurate braided bolo used was a 1/4" (aka 6mm) 4-ply braided bolo.

The second pic is a close up of the braid from the original belt.
I think it's great if you can offer up a run of girth belts to members because there definitely is a need. I'd be more than happy to give any help I can from the sidelines.(y)

DSC07584.JPG

originalbraid.jpg

ya..i'll keep looking for an alternative and keep everyone posted...im hoping to make this accurate...i'll get back to everyone asap

TK-1191 was nice enough to find this online source. http://www.landofodds.com/servlet/Detail?no=21983

The specific item description says 4mm, however, their home page states actual sizes of braided bolo being 1 mm larger in diameter...which would make it approximately 5 mm.

I'd recommend ordering a small sample to see if it's something you'd consider working with. In addition, being natural in finish means you could stain it to your preference.(y)

was there an actual measurment ever taken of the bolo as far as the width? just curious cause i would think losing about 19mm total may be a lot in the grand scheme of things with the over all size of the belt...if it was indeed 2mm smaller then youre talking a difference of almost 40mm or 10 additional rows to make it the same width...seems alot to me.

ive got a few emails into some sources to see if they would make what we are looking for. even if it was special order it may be worth it to have the right stuff if we can...

heard back from two of the three people i contacted last night and they all say they dont make the 6mm in 4ply due to strength issues. both companies said the same thing. i'll keep looking, if i can't get the 6mm i may have to think on terms of 4mm and take some measuments again...seems like it would have to either be hand braided of go with the other size...and im not really sure im big on the hand braided thing..LOL

Dude - if you can sew a crop top and matching pants - you can braid some bolo's! :lol:

Hopefully you will find something! I am in no rush though! (y)

Let me know if you need help with anything!

the more i look at the picture of the actual belt in that photo above the more im not really sure it was 4 ply...in the creases you can kind of see a little extra weaving going on...i wonder if its all in how you place the pieces down and glue them together if you could essentially still get the same look with 6 ply...id have to get some samples and try it

Having hand braided a whole belt and having Cruzer's bolo material, I am certain the original belt is 4-ply. That comes from just knowing how the braids work.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back