possible girth belt material

you can lead a Jango prop maker to water...:lol:

We promise it's 4-ply. I bet you'd be surprised at the usability of the material on the link I sent you. At it's widest parts, it may actually come out to 5.5mm or so. Since I'm also curious, I'll go ahead and order a small piece in the next couple minutes so we'll know for sure.;)

do you think if it is pressed as its glued down you may get a wider band? it also looks as if it was stretched a bit lengthwise too as the weave seems a bit longer, if that makes sense. I'm just trying to go with a super accurate piece as im sure we are all on the same page when it come to those issues..LOL

what ever the mass consensus becomes, thats how they will be made as we will all be buying it..i think you may be right lorenzo, however, i never really thought about flattening out a piece of 4mm to get the 6mm width. Im sure that could easily be done i mean a mm really isnt much so i could easily see making up the difference that way.

I had a post back a while ago about the bolo I found and used. It was a native American website that I bought mine from but it still cost me about $200 or so for right amount of Bolo. I have a parade this Saturday and will try to take some photos of mine.

okay...i think ive found a possiblity to get this done and get it done right...im in talks with the guy to actually get it dyed to an accurate color as well...here is his latest email....i had asked him if it was possible to do a special order...we could also go with natural and have everyone dye it to their own shade to match their other leather ect...

Hi John,

Has to do with after production strength. Also, a 4 ply cord in 6 mm size requires a wider & thicker cut of leather, and typically the thicker the cut, the less flexible the braid becomes.

I believe that our factory can make this for you. However, on custom orders we have minimums since the set-up and manufacture takes time, and it is not cost effective for a small run. If it can be done, you would be looking at a minimum order of 50 meters.

I ordered a sample. It should arrive in a few days.

As far as gluing down the braid, it doesn't really flatten much, and you don't want it to really. There is somewhat of a miniscule gap in-between each row layed down, so that can also be taken into consideration.

You'll probably triple or quadruple that order size if you open up the opportunity to purchase material to other members here. If they don't make it themselves, I'd confirm their supplier isn't KS Exports from India so you don't have to worry about quality and consistency issues. I think they may have changed their name recently.

If your prospective supplier can custom make the bolo to meet the 1/4" diameter, 4-ply specifics...I say go for it. The 6mm braid I have from Leather Cord USA does look too big in my opinion.

Thanks for finding a possible supplier within the U.S.

sounding good(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
ya..i figure with about 20 meters per belt give or take a bit, it should be pretty easy to make the minimum seeing as their are three folks wanting a belt made right now.

if anyone is interested in the material and not the belt let me know and I'll add that to the total meters once i get this figured out with the supplier. not sure on the cost at the moment but if its close to the normal price for a 6mm cord they sell that for..$46.99 per 10 meter spool and you would need to consider 2 spools for 1 belt. so if interested in the material only please consider the amount of $117.50 for 20 meters of the material plus pp and shipping. This amount will obviously go up a bit if they charge a set up fee for the special order, which i would imagine they would.

I'll keep you all posted on the final price but id like a list of interested parties so if this does happen with this supplier i can get right on ordering and getting it done. please just list belt or material in a post so i know..again interest only at this time. I would ask when i final the list that you stay dedicated to the list as i plan to purchase the material with my own funds and really don't want to get stuck around this time of year with a bunch of bolo i paid for with everyone backing out last minute.

thanks and i'll keep you posted

heard back this morning from the sale rep...he has put in a request for information from the factory and will get back to me asap

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back