Cardboard Halo3 Gear WIP

dung0beetle

Active Hunter
I am making a few Halo 3 Costumes for some people, and I wanted to show the process. I started about an hour ago, here are the pics.

halo1.gif

halo2.gif

I am using a thin, but strong cardstock that is similar to watercolor paper, but is as thin as printer paper. It is very stiff, that is why I use it.

The pattern for this was obtained from the 3d models in the game. It was run through an unfolding program called "Pepakura", and printed.

Stay tuned for more progress...

More progress...

halo3.gif

The final product will look something like this:
gallery_3819_91_1137.gif

Please note: this is not my helmet, I didn't make it, but it was made thru a similar process.

Thats sweet. I love the Halo visor's.

:cheers

Great work!!! I only wish that I can make one of those durable enough to have for a motorcycle helmet. Then all I would need is a motorcycle:p

Nice use of the pep. program. I was working on one myself, but I just don't have the patience for all of the tiny folds and creases.

If you decide to cast a few of these, I might be interested in a set.....yeah, I'm a lazy teenager, so what?

OOPS! I accidentally printed it too small :(!

Gotta start over...:facepalm

My 10 year old is finishing it, I'll post pics of his progress too.

If you want the templates for the helmet, armor, and weapons, Msg. me your email, and I'll send them to you. I also have lower poly templates for the helmet if you just want the basic shape to work off of--less cutting.

Thats sweet. I love the Halo visor's.

:cheers

Great work!!! I only wish that I can make one of those durable enough to have for a motorcycle helmet. Then all I would need is a motorcycle:p
It would have to be cast in polycarbonate and fiberglassed, but the visor is DOT Approved :). The visors I use are motorcycle helmet visors with the gold metallic tint.

Check this out:
gallery_3819_91_87369.jpg

Emails are being sent. Most of the files are in .pdo format, and can be read by Pepakura viewer. A couple of them need to be unfolded in Pepakura Designer, but the help function can tell you how to do it. Sizing can be tricky, so don't waste cardstock on it until you know what size it needs to be. The files include helmets, armor, and weapons from the games. Most of the helmets in there (I have several from the game) need to be opened up in the bottom after it is finally assembled to fit your head, so don't make it huge just to get your head in. The sizing should be somewhat relative to a motocross helmet. I suggest building one of the simplified versions in printer paper to get the size right for the complex version. I also stuck a gun from the 5th Element in there (it looks Halo-ish). I haven't quite figured out what the sizing for the armor parts should be, because Pepakura works with metric units, and I am a silly American that attended public school where the metric system is practically a footnote in the textbooks.

The armor is not exactly accurate, but it is a good base to work off of. There are more and more detailed files becoming available all the time, so I will randomly send them to those of you who requested these as I get them.

I can't wait to see what you guys can do with this.

Almost finished, only need the visor in to keep it stable. My son did a good job finishing the assembly. There are some folds that are a bit off, but that can be fixed when it is fiberglassed and bondo'ed.
halo4.gif

halo5.gif

halo6.gif

I will have pics of my helmet when it is at this stage, as I only wanted to show the process, I figure it is unnecessary to show more construction pics of the same thing.

I found a smoother design, and will be making that one for myself.
mine.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ok call me stupid, but I simply cannot figure out how to open these files.I am not familiar with this application.Is there any way to open these with the windows fax and picture viewer or zip?
This is like a foreign language, and I am not into metric.lolol

Did you decompress the files with winrar, or 7zip? Google winrar and download the application if your having trouble getting the files out of the halo.rar file.

This looks awesome dung0beetle, can't wait to see how it looks with the visor installed. How long would you say it took to do the foldings?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back