A word from Karen Traviss...

I don't blame her. That's part of the problem today, where people (costumers) don't (or can't) use their imaginations when interpreting what they read in the books...to me, that's part of the fun of making this stuff...actually, it s sort of "creative license", if you will....
Rob

Well said ner vod!! She cant give every little detail, we gotta come up with that ourselves, and if in a later book, she points somethin out, we can change it. Also, using ur imagination is great in this kind of stuff, like today i had an idea for some mando armor, like what if i painted the armor plates tie dye? might sound gay, but im guna test it out on a "rough draft" i guess u could call it. a

*snort* Tie Dye!!!! Oh my heavens.
Sounds kinda like the pics from the 60s and 70s that parents hide from their kids to avoid giving them ideas. I didn't know that the Mandos had an equivalent thing. If you do it, you'd better post pics. :D

It really sucks that she recently said that 501st is gonna be her last Star wars book. Kinda dissapointed, she was by FAR my favorite SW author.

Also, using ur imagination is great in this kind of stuff, like today i had an idea for some mando armor, like what if i painted the armor plates tie dye? might sound gay, but im guna test it out on a "rough draft" i guess u could call it. a

Ahh, great idea, Darman....that'll give the Custom Mando haters out there something to irritate the heck out of 'em! :wacko
Rob

Well, seeing as you guys seem to like it, guess i'll start on the tie dye! only thing i didnt think about is how im going to paint it that way :(...well, just so you know, its guna be made of cardboard, i saw a tutorial on youtube, and it looks pretty legit. i will post pics as soon as i can

It really sucks that she recently said that 501st is gonna be her last Star wars book. Kinda dissapointed, she was by FAR my favorite SW author.

I didn't like her Legacy of the Force books much at all, but I really liked the Republic Commando ones. I just finished reading 501st and liked that a lot too. I wonder if someone else will pick up the stories of those characters, or if that universe is just dead now?

I dont think anyone else should even THINK about continuing with those characters. She's the one who created them, and the stlye will be so different in the writing. also, has Kar'buir given a reason for stopping writing? im just curious...

If they continue at all, it would be best if one of the other writers she collaborated with in the Legacy of the Force series (Allston or Dennings) was the one to continue. They would probably have the best feel for her characterizations.

Someone farther up was commenting that there wasn't enough evidence of what Arc troopers look like for 501st. What about battlefront 1 ?!

We should tag our armors with a KT to show our appreciation, and support for WARLIKE Mandalorians. It might be Lucas' universe, but we made characters in it. We can't rely on anyone else to fight for us afterall.

Maybe something as simple as hiding a "KT" somewhere in the weathering somewhere. Maybe hidden among the scratches. That way, it doesn't detract from the canon look at all but we know it's there.

I gave an interview during our troop on Comic Salon 14. last weekend. When asked what makes the fascination of Star Wars, I said thatwe greatly enjoy the movies for universe building and technical effects. With the Clone Wars series, it's a lot more simple, more for children. And that's why we are really looking forwards to more the graphic novels and books, since we especially enjoyed those by Karen Traviss. That we are saddened by her leave and would love somebody to pick up writing, preferably her.

I don't expect it to be published full length, but gotta grab every possibility to spread the word of our wishes.

Karen did such a wonderful job with the RC series, and its a shame that all this nonsense and whatnot is getting in the way on having her finish the last book, imperial commando 2, and its a shame that someone else is going to have to write, it, i have been saving the last chapter of my first imperial commando book until the release of the second book, but now that that isnt coming out, i guess i might as well read it now.

George lucas....... making pacifist mandalorians............ *throws up into bag* *tosses it into a box* *makes a packing slip that says "YOU DESECRATED THE MANDALORIAN NAME GEORGE LUCAS"* *closes the box* *Sends it out too george lucas* we should get george lucas for treason of star wars, making mandalorians pacifists............ THE NERVE........... and Death watch being the only warriors........... Kriffin, that disgusts me too.... KAREN TRAVISS HEEEEEEEEELP USSSSSSSSSSSS!

George lucas....... making pacifist mandalorians............ *throws up into bag* *tosses it into a box* *makes a packing slip that says "YOU DESECRATED THE MANDALORIAN NAME GEORGE LUCAS"* *closes the box* *Sends it out too george lucas* we should get george lucas for treason of star wars, making mandalorians pacifists............ THE NERVE........... and Death watch being the only warriors........... Kriffin, that disgusts me too.... KAREN TRAVISS HEEEEEEEEELP USSSSSSSSSSSS!

When the first 'Mandalore' episode aired I stopped watching the show, so I feel where your comming from. But dude, seriously, chill. Its just a cartoon for kids.

Have to agree, CW is very kid oriented. While I might not agree with everything they do, it's nice to see characters actually DIE in a cartoon again,...gives the lil' buggers perspective. As to the original point of the post, ALWAYS put your story first. Most writers/storytellers only have one or two great storylines inside of them, (though it may be many books in the telling) then spend the rest of their careers just marking time with rehashed tales as they try to recapture what they once did. Never let anyone change your work. Not even yourself (looking at you, Mr Lucas) because you'll find as you age, you're not the same person you were when you were 20, 30, 40 etc. The personality that made a masterpiece may have changed and morphed into something completely different. That new person may be capable of making a completely different sort of masterwork, but shouldn't go back and alter what their younger self has accomplishedl Just my .02 worth

Oh, and since it didn't really come through in my admittedly long-winded earlier post, I do LOATHE the Mando retcon, but since it's Lucas' decision, there's not a lot to be done about it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back