Distressing VT

loveless

Jr Hunter
Sorry this took a while. My computer REALLY needs to be cleaned out.
Anyways, I just thought I would share a VT for distressing.

I have the 10 minute video tutorial, I just gotta shrink it down a bit to put it up on you tube, should be later tonight or tomorrow morning. Until then, here is cardboard distressing. As I said the full vid will be around tomorrow. Later this week I will post the vid on plastic distressing as thats what most people own, lol.

OH yeah, the final VT will have audio. I used water based paint for everything but the silver is a testors oil silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the technical errors, better VT's friday.

I just watched, gosh thats crappy. I will most definately post a better VT tomorrow with audio.

Cool stuff. Now get some work gloves on those hands so you don't lose a finger or two!;)

Cool vid, and I think my kids will especially like this because you use methods and materials that are readily available to most people. (y)

Video Tutorial
Im interested in the helmet damage the most:)

Though Now I see how you get the dripping dirt and grime. Which adds a lot to the realism.

Thanks man.

Right now I'm at school and the firewall doesn't allow us to view youtube links. I can't wait to get home to check this out.

I actually don't mind it without sound, though there are times I wonder if you aren't saying something and I wonder what it would be. When you point with your finger, are you signaling, "One minute," or are you showing something about the angle of wipe with your tp, or are you showing the imagined direction of distress over time--that sort of thing.

Coupla other questions: what thickness would you say that cardboard is? I'm amazed you don't cut through the stuff the way you're going at it. Is that the same kind of cereal and snack box board you made your niece's armor out of?
What kind of paint are we looking at on that chest plate? Is it acrylic, like you use for the wash? It looks like it was brushed on. If so, do you think the brush strokes add texture for the dark wash and metal paint to "cling" to?
Do you find you get better results putting the wash down first, and then putting the metal color on? I see that you go back and wash over top of that--would you need to if you put the metal down into the damage you create with the knife and then just do one light wash over that? Or does the Testors need a painted surface to adhere to?

I continue to appreciate the time you're putting into showing how you do things. Tutorials are pure gifts, I think. I'm really looking forward to the one you'll do with plastic as well.

Thanks.

^^^^ Thanks for the responses guyys, No worries, tomorrow, I will repost that vid from start to finish with me actually talking through it, my computer's drive was full, but she's been cleaned out, megs have been shrunk, and I can post the full 9 minute vid tomorrow with detailed explanations as well as the plastic VT.:)

EDIT: Off topic, sticker sheets for logos are coming, I am just behind on things at the moment.

BUMP:

Here it is, I uploaded the vid. I wanna thank you guys for your comments as it was helpful when I recorded my voice this morning for the VT.

The plastic VT will be out around this weekend. I dont have an extra helmet lying around, if I did I would VT the damage on it, but the plastic VT you will be able to apply to the helmet just the same.

P.S. MandalorFett, thanks, I added safty tips to the VT from your great advice : )

If only all tutorials were shot on video. Dude, this is one of the clearest, best done tutorials I've seen. I know others catalogue their work with photos and post them as progress pics, and some post their pictures with detailed explanations--don't mean to seem disrespectful to the effort they put into them. This one is just really well done. I really appreciate the time and thoroughness you put into this. I don't think I've ever had anyone address all of my questions before.
Gotta tell ya: cardboard has never been my thing. I am seriously considering giving this a shot, now. I'd love to see people put this to work on their scratchbuilt cardboard helmets.
I can't wait for the plastic version. Take your time, though. Tutorials are such kind charity.

^^^ Thanks Ioelus, I actually did the VT mostly cause of you, as well as some others, though I had to rush it due to you tube's 10 min time limit. The plastic VT's will be out later next week, I am doing 2 VFX supervisor jobs at the moment, my own film which starts principal photography next weekend, and two other productions, as well as building a TDH member a plastic helmet this upcoming week, so my time is, well, none, But I like wakin up at 4 am and sleeping at 11pm or midnight. Love full scheduals.

But yeah, I will post the plastic VT very soon ;)

Thanks for the support.:)

P.S. If I post this VT on another website, is that ok with these forums??? The mods seem to not return my pm's right away as they are VERY busy too.
Cant wait for the plastic VT.

Oh! Video Tutorial - I thought this had something to do with Virginia Tech at first...

BTW - Very nice video! Love it!

Can I post this to my Garrison's forums?

Okay so I know this thread has been dead for years but does anyone know if loveless still does this kinda stuff? Like did he post anything else like this, with cardboard being turned into armor i mean.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back