Machined Westar Barrels

NOITAIDAR

Hunter
My current project is to insert Radio Transmitters (like a car alarm keyfob) into my blasters, and for this project would need a pair of machined Westar barrels. I am working with the Rubies plastic pistol grips, since they are already plastic and hollow, and make a good housing for the electronics I’m putting in. Basically, this transmitter will sit inside the grip, and have a button wired to a tactile switch behind the trigger. This then transmits to a receiver connected to my Rom/FX Pro sound system in my jet pack, setting off the blaster sound effects.

So, now that you have an idea of my project, I am wondering if anyone knows someone who could machine westars. I'd only be looking for the barrel, and maybe the palm plate.

I've seen that Starfortress do their own machined westars, and from the pictures I've seen, they look accurate.

I know everyone has certain feelings about starfortress, but since there's no paint, or different sizes, or bits that could fall off, I don't think that there's much that could go wrong with a pair of blasters... is there? However, I dunno if my impatience could handle a variation of 4-15 weeks as advertised on their site.

Has anyone bought these blasters before? Are there better alternatives?

Cheers.

P.S... don't turn this into a SFP flaming thread please, I've read everything there is about them

My humble opinion, avoid SFP.

At all costs....

The Westars I've seen them offer look very wrong to me, but they might have upgraded their designs since then.

We all know to avoid SFP like the plague, but the trouble is, there is currently no reliable sustainable alternative. Unfortunately, nobody has stepped up to the plate to say they are willing, and able to make these to a standard comparable to the MRs.

More and more people are having these machined for themselves, but as of yet, nobody has revealed sources, or tried to arrange any bulk deals.

So until someone is able to do this, people will still dredge themselves over to SFP with their tails between their legs hoping that what they order will arrive.

We all know to avoid SFP like the plague, but the trouble is, there is currently no reliable sustainable alternative. Unfortunately, nobody has stepped up to the plate to say they are willing, and able to make these to a standard comparable to the MRs.

More and more people are having these machined for themselves, but as of yet, nobody has revealed sources, or tried to arrange any bulk deals.

So until someone is able to do this, people will still dredge themselves over to SFP with their tails between their legs hoping that what they order will arrive.

Well, I havent been trying to get caught up in the mess, but I can see what I can do. Apparently from what ive been told is that if you take it to a custom auto shop and ask about getting something machined.

However, if someone has access to a mill and practiced a bit with it enough, maybe they can make a set themselves.

Im not making any promises, and even if I do find a place, I dont know if I can even get a set made, just because I dont have the money to pay for it.

-tubachris

i am so not a fan of SFP, but i just looked at the blasters...and they seem pretty good. without actual size comparisons to MR's its hard to tell accuracy but they do look pretty decent for 270 bucks...as aposed to the 700 i say MR for on ebay the other day...here is a shot from their website..

jangoguns.jpg

ive heard really bad things about these guys, but have never dealt with them so i really dont know the whole back story..but like it was said..until someone who has the ability to machine...and i know they are out there cause ive got a ton of quality stuff thats machined aluminum...decided to takle the barrel for these blasters, most of us are in a rut. id reuse the rubies handles or resin ones if i could get a machined barrel...but alas...they dont exist

Someone has a pair of SFP blasters for sale (with the whole Jango suit) in the Cargo hold right now. They look horrible.

Like I said earlier - just keep an eye out an a pair of MR's will come up cheaper.

Well, I stoped by today, and spoke with the machinist, a really cool and nice guy. However, I showed him the WOF templates, and told me that to have these made by hand, really just the barrel would be more then a day and a half's work. Saying that the company charges $70 an hour. He thinks with all the details, that just getting one barrel alone would be upwards of 400 already.

He did give me a few other sources to ask about this, which Im going to look up. I might have to contact an out of state source. We would need a automated, programable mill for this to work and be more cost effective.

Hopefully the other source will work out

-tubachris

This is most likely because they don't have the right equipment. There is NO reason other than that, where they should be that much. this essentially means, they only have hand lathe capabilities, which is far more labor intensive. A company that is CnC capable, will charge MUCH less after the initial start-up cost (getting the model entered into the computer and creating the program). So you may want to look into other sources for this.

FP

This is most likely because they don't have the right equipment. There is NO reason other than that, where they should be that much. this essentially means, they only have hand lathe capabilities, which is far more labor intensive. A company that is CnC capable, will charge MUCH less after the initial start-up cost (getting the model entered into the computer and creating the program). So you may want to look into other sources for this.

FP

Yea, thats what I was thinking from the get go. I wasnt so much expecting him to be able to do the job, it was pretty much a starting point.

I just sent an email out to the other recommended source, once again, Im not expecting that person to be able to make these, but work up a chain of sources until I find someone that can. The source I just emailed is a gun maker, apparently made his own pistol out of aluminum, using an automated mill

-tubachris

I have a client with 4 giant cnc machines. He builds custom aluminum for choppers. Theoretically he could do just about anything, but I doubt he would have the time to make the cad designs for them.

So with cad designs provided provided for him, I could go to him and put him in contact with some of you.

I know that he is always looking for new business opportunities.

Shoot me a pm if you want me to make some connections. Just be sure you would have proper cad designs for anything to be made:) Because I dont have the time at the moment to do any cad/3d.

I too have been sourcing engineers today.

Turns out an old school pal now own an engineering firm, I've sent him some rough plans to see what he thinks.

very cool leads...i'll be watching this as the real part of my costume that needs better stuff now is blasters...i hope something pans out...like i said id be uber happy with barrels and attach them somehow to my plastic rubies grips..lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back