Machined Westar Barrels

Here's a couple prototype barrels still under construction. What do you think?

DSCF0217.jpg

those look pretty good...the butt end of the barrel seems wrong to me though...it seems a bit long and also seems to have an extra section to it. if i recall it should only be a round slotted, then a threaded area then the butt cap. and it should only be about 3/8" in fron the angle part near the handle too..

unless that last section on the end is just extra material that needs to be cut off? im guessing...

Looking really good there Westarsmith. This is a breakdown I made based on Wizardoflight's westar template. shows the different sections the MR one can be broken down into, but it also shows you the correct detail on the flash suppressor, unlike the SFP ones which are pretty much a cone. Hand-machined, this'd be a real *****, but if you're CnCing, this curve should be easy

blaster_breakdown.gif

So, just to clarify something I've noticed, the barrel should have two points of contact with the handle, correct? The StarFortress blasters don't appear to have the barrel in contact with the back of the handgrip. Am I wrong, or is this something that's just overlooked? Oh, and if someone gets a good price for machined blasters I'm in! :D

Well I got some good news.

I just recieved a reply from one person. This is his email to me:

"Christopher,
I will appreciate the opportunity to work with you on this project.
Do you have a target price? Quantity? What type of finish?
And when do you need them.
Let me know!"

Im going to reply right now!

No John, thats one thing that WOF's original template does show that mine does not. The back part of the handgrip has a sort of recessed curve under the rear section "power cell." This curve lines up with the curve required at the attachment point further up, where the section I've labelled as B attaches to the grip.

I modified the template this way to show the features of the barrel, ignoring the detail of the grip, as the Rubies grip is an adequate alternative to machining the grip along with the barrel

Im getting ancy now. Im hoping to get a response soon. Im going out of town tomorrow till saturday, I hope he responds soon.

I have to let everyone know first, that should he be able to do this (most likely from what Ive seen so far) is that I personally do not have enough money to put down in case he asks for it. I told him that members here might not put a pre-payment down, unless they see a prototype, or a finished set.

Im hoping to get a guestimatated price from him too

Well I got some good news.

I just recieved a reply from one person. This is his email to me:

"Christopher,
I will appreciate the opportunity to work with you on this project.
Do you have a target price? Quantity? What type of finish?
And when do you need them.
Let me know!"

Im going to reply right now!

This is great news, Tuba.

I'm sure you'll tell him that the quantity would depend on the price, and he'll tell you that the price would depend on the quantity. maybe once you have a ballpark figure in mind, a signup list could be implemented?

as long as we are talking just the barrels, as i would most likely use my rubies grips, im so in for a set if they are reasonable in price...say around 250 for the pair or less...

This is great news, Tuba.

I'm sure you'll tell him that the quantity would depend on the price, and he'll tell you that the price would depend on the quantity. maybe once you have a ballpark figure in mind, a signup list could be implemented?

Yea, Im hoping to be able to. In theory, the more people that sign up, the cheaper it should be. But I told him, that each set consists of two blaster each. Now one thing I wasnt too sure about though, is the stunt trigger guard. I gave him a pic of the MR blasters, and told him about this detail, but Im not sure what the general opinions of members here, would want both the same, or include the stunt blaster

as long as we are talking just the barrels, as i would most likely use my rubies grips, im so in for a set if they are reasonable in price...say around 250 for the pair or less...

Im not sure yet what he had in mind, but Im thinking he's wanting to do the whole thing. However, once I get a response, we will go from there. I imagine that he would have to make them in pieces to begin with.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back