NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!!

i'm sorry i meant latex paint not latex stain. i saw the stain but the paint had more colors and was cheaper. i just wanted to know if anyone tried it and what the difference was.

Latex paint is gonna be too thick, and will coat the material, rather than permiate it. It will prolly come out looking very plasticine when all's said and done. I'm personally gonna be going with the stain. Remember, you get what you pay for. :)

i ordered saturday night. monday morning they called me to tell me it was on backorder and if that was okay. they offered me a refund. they said it would take 2 weeks. i decided to go ahead with it. 2 weeks later i got it.

save yourself some trouble, mate. Put your white girth up for sale in Cargo Hold. Go to horseloverz and order your girth in brown. Your white girth will sell quick. Heck, depending on size, I may buy it. :)

Ahhh. I checked Marystack and doversaddlery, as well. No luck. Brown is the color you seek, though. Go check the galleryu section and look at the ESB reference pics, so you know the proper shade of brown. My advice would be to pick out the color swatch for the exact color you want... then get a a swatch 1 to 2 shades darker than that color and have your stain mixed to that darker color. the reasoning being, that once you die your girth and rinse it out... it will lighten at least one shade lighter because you are dying a white material. So, if you go a bit darker on your stain, the end result will be closer to what you want. :)

Will be staining my girth tomorrow. Will let you gents know how it goes and include pics. If all goes well, I will be including the brand and color which can be bought at your local Lowe's for $9.98 a 29 oz can (just under a quart).

First and foremost, a HUGE thank you to whistle8mp!!!

Okay. I did this as a two part process in order to achieve a darker color (especially on the bindings which tend to be a blend rather than straight up mohair).

First I dyed it, wrung it out and hung it up to dry. Start early, cause drying takes a long time.

Second, repeated the process, except I allowed the belt to lay in the dye and soak for approximately 10-15 minutes. Then, ring her out and hang her up again.

If you can have someone help you by holding up the belt whilst you ring it out, it makes the process easier and much faster.

The second tint step acts subtly, but definetely worth the added effort. Also, this particular stain darkens as it dries.

The color I used can be picked up at any Lowe's:

Minwax water-based stain, #13 Spice Red

They have to mix it for you, as it is a decoration tint formula. But that color is a standard Minwax tint color. Hope this has been helpful.

After first dye app (indirect sunlight):
l_b9ddf6be6d224b828cb07f20fb5d05a5.png

After 2nd dye app (direct sunlight):
l_e731f4c105674bc18e2da6559e94f8e0.png

Done!
l_e3f04f506ba84b9b90decdd807689734.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeeeet! Nice work bro! I thought you were doing ESB, guess I was wrong...now I need to find a nice brown stain and do the same process.

How messy was it? ;)

This thread is more than 48 days old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back