NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!!

yea thats what i wanted.they only had 28" and 42" . this ones a 38" and its perfect . think i'll give this one a shot . wont be my frist FAIL at this . THANKS.

Has anyone tried upholstery fabric spray paint

I'm pretty sure Lowes carries something like this. Hobby Lobby may as well.

OK...so way late here, but...

I have used Duplicolor Upholstery and Vinyl coating for a ton of stuff (usually just on vinyl). I wound up giving it a shot on my girth belt and it worked pretty good. Not a lot of colors to choose from, though. To get the dark, blood red color I wanted, I had to saturate the thing (used almost an entire can) in dark red and then mist on charcoal grey. Not exactly what I wanted (and the belt is a bit too small for my gut), so I'll probably replace it and do the stain method. It looks to give a much better coverage and probably has lots of color choices.

$14 bucks for the belt from horseloverz & $11 for the Olympic red pilgrim stain (along with $0.88 for a paint pan) saved me lots of money! Instead of dipping the belt into the stain, I simply pours the whole can onto the belt in the pan. I got great coverage with out lots of working it in.

Results are fantastic!!!

The color I used can be picked up at any Lowe's:

Minwax water-based stain, #13 Spice Red

They have to mix it for you, as it is a decoration tint formula. But that color is a standard Minwax tint color. Hope this has been helpful.

So is the #13 Spice Red specific to Lowe's or is that the Minwax number for Spice Red that they have the color code for? Just want to be sure so I can be specific when I go in.

Thanks,

Sean

So is the #13 Spice Red specific to Lowe's or is that the Minwax number for Spice Red that they have the color code for? Just want to be sure so I can be specific when I go in.

Thanks,

Sean

This is the first time I've quoted myself I think....

Any way, Big thanks to dsonik1 for explaining in detail to me the #13 Spice Red color. If you get the "Minwax water-based clear tint based" quart can and take it to the paint counter, tell them you want it colored to the minwax #13 Spice color to which either Lowe's or Home Depot will have the color code for. I thought for some reason the Spice Red #13 was specific to Lowe's either that or I thought you had to specifically buy the Spice color only to find out that Minwax doesn't produce it to my knowledge so that's why you have to get the clear tint and have it dyed to the Minwax Spice color.

I hope this helps someone else because for some reason I just wasn't getting it on how to get the Spice Red color so hopefully this will clarify for anyone else who is struggling with it like me. Sometimes I'm slow that way.

Sean

just finished mine today!

used minwax Chine Red latex stain from Lowes, worked AWESOME! may dust it with some burgandy spray automotive fabric and vinal dye to darken it a bit...not sure yet

THX all for all the input(y)

I went a couple of inches bigger, but the girth belt won't actually fit all the way around your waist, anyway. Specifically when you've got layers of armor on. You're going to have to use some 1" nylon strapping to buckle it behind you:

showfull.php
Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

Just make sure you get real mohair. I got mine online at Dover Sadlery, and it's perfect:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-02174&ids=475993510

girth1.jpg

girth2.jpg

This thread is more than 48 days old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back