NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!!

Thanks for this, i was actually wondering how i was going to dye the belt! I've tried before with Dylon, but it was rubbish.

Do you mind if i ask how you did the stitching on the belt? I just can't seem to keep it tight.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried this method as suggested using Latex stain. Worked well!
I noticed someone stated they were able to work out the stiffness in the belt after it was dried?

belt.jpg

uh, was it this stiff? This is about how crispy I like my bacon! And this is after much flexing and bending to try and loosen up the fibers. Maybe I used too much stain? Maybe wrong material belt ("all natural mohair" ordered from Dover Saddlery)?

i tried this as well (thanks for this technique by the way!!). it is not for those that don't want to get dirty! lol i still have paint on me from a week ago! i used behr latex stain dye, barn red (as i have a ROTJ build). i just got 2 sample cans, like $3-4.00 a piece. this way you don't get more than you need. i followed the tutorial and really rubbed in the stain. after it is really important to wipe it down a bunch. i can't stress that enough! or it will be hard and feel brittle. when it drys just bend it around a bit and presto! beautiful girth belt.

Maybe wrong material belt ("all natural mohair" ordered from Dover Saddlery)?

I think the belts most get are made from artificial mohair--see it here, 100% acrylic mohair--which would make an acrylic-latex dye/stain the optimal thing to use. I would imagine a natural hair product (all-natural mohair as listed on Dovers Site) would take hair dye well. Just a thought.

I just got done doing my girth tonight. I used Minwax latex wood stain Scarlett red from Lowes for $11.00 .
It came out pretty good. It is a pretty slick trick!!
59yzBtu.jpg

Lynn

Does the Man of War girth belt still need dyed? The 501st CRL for ROTJ Fett shows a red girth belt and the MOW one is red? I realize the on screen belt looks different in different shots in the movie.
Thanks,
Dave

I just used this method. I bought the sample size (7.25 oz) of Behr brand, "barn red" from Home Depot for about $4. I thinned it out about 1:1. This way it was plenty to do one girth belt, plus thinning it out helps it soak into the fibers a lot better. Hung it out to dry and it looks great. Thanks whistle8mp.

I've never dyed anything before, but I'm assuming good want the brown one, rather than the white?

Sent from my iPad

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back