Variant armor progress thread

Jaiden

Active Hunter
I'm still working on my helmet, but I decided to take a break from that and start on my armor pieces. I'm planning on glassing this weekend and figured I'd do this as well.

armor1.jpg

This is the start of my Mando Merc costume. I used the WOF Jango armor patterns (medium size surprisingly was big enough) and cut it all out of less than three sheets of foam board. After cutting, I rolled each piece with a regular rolling pin to get the shape I wanted.

I'll post more pics as I glass the stuff.

David.

Now that Christmas is over, I'm beginning to work on the other parts of my costume.

To begin with, I spent about six hours today building the left gauntlet. I was given a good-size roll of hardboard (cardboard as thin as poster board) and, with WOF patterns, knife, and hot glue gun in hand, got to work.

PC300006.jpg

PC300007.jpg

PC300003.jpg

PC300002.jpg

It's still in a rough stage. I need to clean it up a bit, but this is my stopping point for tonight.

I'll be working on the right gauntlet when I get more ink and paper for my printer and I'll put on a coat of resin probably within two weeks.

David.

I finished the rough form of the right gauntlet today. I figured between the two gauntlets, I've invested nearly 12 hours so far with many more to come.

There's a lot of pics, so I'm putting links in to most of them.

The top of the right gaunt comes in three main pieces (not including the clamshell). Here's the front and middle pieces.
R01.jpg

R02.jpg

R03.jpg

R04.jpg

R05.jpg

As a mini-tutorial, here's building the top-back piece.
Lay your pattern out flat and tack down with tape.
R06.jpg

Gently score every line on the pattern.
R07.jpg

Firmly score all the outer lines and remove the excess material.
R08.jpg

Bend along each scored line in the proper direction, testing to make sure it will fit correctly. I used tape as a temporary hold while applying the hot glue on the inside. Some areas may not be easily accessible with the glue gun, but take your time and you can get the glue in the cracks.
R09.jpg

R10.jpg

All three pieces put together...
R11.jpg

More views...
R12.jpg

R13.jpg

R14.jpg

Here's the upper clamshell...
R15.jpg

At first I wondered what the extra patterned material strips were fore. Then it dawned on me that they are spacers to add strength to the clam shells. There's still a few pieces I don't know what they are for, but I got the general idea done.
R16.jpg

Completed upper half...
R17.jpg

Another view...
R18.jpg

Completed right gaunt with my costume glove on...
RightGauntGlove.jpg

Same thing, left side...
LeftGauntGlove.jpg

Left and right gauntlets ready for resin...
2gauntlets2.gif

Something I noticed was that since I didn't resize the patterns, the peripherals came out great, but I had to add extra material to join the two halves of each clamshell together to accommodate my meaty forearms. You can see it here...
2gauntlets1.jpg

Once I coat it with resin and do some Bondo fill, I think it'll look half decent.

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sometimes people make the coolest things out of cardboard. good job on the armor and the gauntlets. Question. What did you use for your plates?

Hey Jaiden, great work man! I've got about half of my left gauntlet completed, I'll post pictures on my thread when I've got it done. Yours are gonna look great when you're done!

Oh,:eek:.

I used hardboard. It's like brown poster board without the waxy coating. A guy I know was getting rid of a roll and I snagged it.

But, you can use garage sale signs or regular poster board. Either one should work well.

David.

Those gauntlets are looking really good David! (y)

Those extra parts were probably the strips that are glued to the underside of the upper and lower clam shells to add extra depth and strength to the gauntlets? One of your pics posted above has it glued to the top section of the clam... ;)
Will you be adding a fine layer of bondo to take out any score marks etc?

Yep. My plan is to clean up the glue a little, coat it in resin, and add just enough Bondo to fill in and smooth out. I'll keep posting pics as I go along.

David.

I took some time out of building my armor to get started on my son's set. (His Mando'a name is Jauri.) I began with his left gauntlet.

After about five hours of cutting and gluing, here is the end result next to my own left gaunt. (I printed his templates at 80%.)
JJleft.jpg

2sideleft.jpg

2sidetop.jpg

I have a lot of clean up left to do on this one, and the right one will have to wait until I get more hot glue sticks.

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have enough room in your gauntlet to account for clothing material? Looks kinda tight with that meaty forearm shoved in there. :p

Good work on both, tho.

Do you have enough room in your gauntlet to account for clothing material? Looks kinda tight with that meaty forearm shoved in there. :p

Gee, thanks!:lol:lol::lol:

Seriously, I worked on mine during the last cold snap and had no trouble fitting them over a thick jacket sleeve. The only thing I'm worried about is making the front work. I made it a little big to make sure my glove would also fit. But I managed to pick up some foam I'll use to make a tighter fit.

David.

Yeah the front of mine is way too big, I was brainstorming for ways to make it tighter. Foam sounds good. I've got a bunch of it. :p I put on my flight suit and nomex glove, and the back part is nice and snug, but the front was still way too loose.

UPDATE:

I finished the rough form of Jauri's right gauntlet last night. I'm going to try and bondo glass them today or tomorrow for his 6th birthday on Monday.

Here's mine and his together showing the size difference.
2topright2.jpg

Here's all four together (his in the middle).
allfour.jpg

And here is Jauri with his new (still rough) gauntlets.
JaurisGauntlets.gif

I'll post glassing pics when I have them done.

David.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back