Best filler material?

Southern hunter

Active Hunter
Hey there everyone. As I'm sure y'all have figured out by now, I'm hard at work on my scratch made helmet using WOF's templates. This is my second attempt. :lol:

I'm working with For Sale signs, a batting helmet and 3mm sintra. I'm needing to buy something to fill in the gaps and smooth out the dome.

What would work best on plastic, bondo, polyfilla spackling paste or something else?

Thanks again everyone. (y)

BTW, I'm going with a Dark green welding shield for the T visor.

That will depend on whether you are planning to use the finished product as a wearable thing, or to make a mold from it. For sculptures that are going to be molded I often use drywall mud to build up surfaces and shapes. It sands easily, and is much less expensive than auto putty. You can use spray paint to seal it before making a mold. For strength, on the other hand, auto putty is the way to go.

Thanks Gypsyboy and GNC Gamer.

Is drywall mud the same thing as spackling paste? What type should I use?

GCN Gamer, Which type of bondo? I know there are several types.

I'll be using this as a wearable helmet for Halloween. I don't have the money or other resources to buy a great helmet and I'm not trying to get into the 501st ... not yet anyway. :)

You will find the automotive putty in cans. It comes with a tube of hardener (usually under a plastic lid). You want that type of putty, rather than the glazing and spot putty, which is just for filling small holes and scratches. Also, make sure you don't get the stuff with the chopped fibers. It's good material, and really strong, but its hard to spread and work with. Another comment I can think to throw in here is that Bondo is not the only company that makes the stuff. It's the best known, and possibly the best quality, but I have had just as good results using other brands. There are different grades of putty, as well as different price ranges. In my personal experience, there is not enough difference in quality to justify paying stupid amounds of $$$ for a can of auto putty. If you're concerned about budget, go ahead and get the least expensive one.

One other thing (I just thought of) - if you think you might need more than what is in a small can, then pay the bit extra and get a larger can. Buying two small cans usually adds up to more $$$ than buying one large can, and the large can has more than twice the amt of putty in it.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back