jdfett Jango project

actually they are some general gardening gloves i found at the local department store...they were tan...the dye just wasnt dark enough to make them right..ill have to go with a darker blue. they actually are the same gloves i used for my wife's zam wessell and they seem to look okay...probably not even close to SA but they are the least of my worries

so as i sat at home all day hoping for parts delivery...to no avail thus far, i decided i would takle the jet pack to the backplate issue. I decided i didnt want to cut through the vest and deal with the whole difficulty of getting it on with that type of set up, i went with a more movie style set up, hopfully this will hold and will work...

I used CA glue to glue all the straps to the jet pack and armor. I left a long tail for gluing to have added strength over the use of the system.

It simply has two clips on the top to hold the top against the back plate and one that goes around the pvc cross piece inside the jet pack. the corresponding clips are located on the back plate. I also used a wide velcro piece on the back plate that will hold the back plate to the vest, as well as two snaps on the shoulders.

here is crossing my fingers that it works and the whole backplate and jet pack wont fall off my back during a troop! LOL

normal_jet packharness.jpg

normal_jet packharness2.jpg

normal_jet packharness3.jpg

normal_jet packharness4.jpg

That's a pretty brave setup. Even though you have a light JP, I'd be worried about the jet pack/backplate combo tugging on the vest over time and choking you.

ya...thats a thought i had too, but wont know the extent of the weight till i wear it once...if i find it's too much ill have to figure out something else i guess..i really dont want to cut holes in my vest though...i had another idea about putting a couple d ring type pieces on the front of the jump suit and then securing a small connector to a shoelace and putting through small holes in the vest that i would use leather eyelets for. securing the shoe lace with the same theory to the inside of the top of the backplate just to take some of the weight. if any of that made any sense...:lol:

so....i guess it's just time for me to forget about costuming in general...i just have had about enough....

i tried on the whole backpack thing...and the backplate is rediculously way too small for me...so now im at the point where i have no idea what to do about that. it is noway big enough to fit my back...

im just simply frustrated with all the parts that get made for such small people...i mean really is there anyone over 180 and taller than 5'8"? i mean shoot...im 6' 210 with a 34 inch waist....i guess sparta has been good to me cause the back and shoulders are just too big for this armor!

the only solution i can think of is cutting the backplate in half and adding a 2 inch filler in the middle...then i would have to extend the shoulders about 3 inches to even come close to meeting the front collar armor, that being said...i have no clue how to work in fiberglass to even try and do that so i guess im at a stand still as far as getting jango done ever...(n):angry

Never mind, I back read and found out you have a JD plate. Mine might be a little bigger. Shoot me some width/length measurements and I'll see. If it is bigger, I could try to make one last pull from my current mold, but just keep in mind it's probably going to have a few cracks in the gel-coat (not the fiberglass) down below that will either need to be trimmed off or glued shut with some CA glue.
Your call, let me know.

You could try making a backplate out of Sintra, it just won't be sturdy enough to carry the weight of your JP with your harness method. But it'll still look decent and you can make it to fit you. A lot of the Jango parts are made for people in the 5'8 180 range because Temuera Morrison is not a big guy. He is around that size so the parts are made to fit someone accurate sized.

I'm 6' 225 lbs, waist bigger than I like, and the Cruzer backplate fits me well. Some of the JD stuff is undersized for someone our size I've seen first hand. I stuck with primarily BKBT armor where availalble. Look at Jango5204 on here and the fit of his Jango parts to him. They are propotioned great, enough that I have been bugging him since day one on my build trying to get something that looks close to his.

cruzer...id be totally up for that if you could do that for me... my biggest problem is all the working out ive been doing for sparta...the lats just will not allow the sides of the backplate to fit around....let me know what you need...

the jd backplate is 13 1/4" wide at the arm holes and from the shoulder to the bottom on the side is 15 1/2" I had thought about cutting it in half and adding a 2 inch fill to the middle. I was going to use a piece of sintra to hold it from the back then glass over it and fill the front with resin, sand and re r&b...that was my initial solution...ive wanted a cruzer backplate casue its far more accurate, but not sure on size either.

okay...so now that ive had some time to take a deep breath and try and figure out a solution....i began to come up with something...not sure how it will turn out cause ive never done anything like this before...

today i cut my back plate in half...from top to bottom...i then heated up a curve in the armor so they side would come closer to my shoulders and create the actual curve that was missing in the backplate ive got atm....i then used a sintra sign to hold the two pieces together and then fiberglassed in the void with resin and matte...here is the progress thus far....
normal_backplatefix.jpg

normal_backplatefix2.jpg

i will then fiberglass inside to create more strength in the repair and then bondo the outside for a smooth finish. I also have to bondo near the arm pit area cause both sides bent and cracked when reshaping the backplate.

I was able to reshape the backplate by using a lighter to heat up the curve i was looking for. once it was hot enough and was able to bend, i warped it and ran that section under cold water to set the new shape. It's not perfect but it allowed the shoulders of the backplate to curve properly and it works better for my shoulder placement.

this btw does not change my desire to obtain one of your backplates lorenzo...however if this works as a temporary solution i may wait to upgrade to yours until you get a new mold made up;-)

so here is the backplate progress for jango of sparta...

finished up with the fiberglass and bondo...

normal_backplatefix3.jpg

here it is with the first coat of primer...

normal_backplatefix4.jpg

dang latissimus dorsi!

okay...

so i finished up the sanding and the rub and buff on this stupid backplate today...got all the attachments back together and actually added some additional security to the set up...

normal_jet packstraps.jpg

I losened it for this shot so you could see what i did, but it gets pulled tight so the clip is at the hole in the shoulder. the tail off both shoelaces then goes over my shoulders and around to the front where i will tie it tight to a "d-ring" that will be sewed to the chest of my jumpsuit. this set up makes the whole vest, armor and jet pack one piece. I actually put it all one in the next group of shots without taking anything apart.

here you can see the left side is off a bit at the shoulder because the velcro is not together and closed...the string has not been pulled down tight to the hole in the vest either.
normal_frontviewbackplateissue.jpg

here you can see the pack is a tad off center...i will need Jamie to place it correctly when im wearing the vest so it will be adjusted and correct. I was kinda guessing before i through it all on for the shots...
normal_backviewbackplate.jpg

from the right side it looks okay..still seperates a bit from the vest at the shoulder...more than i would like, but i think with this backplate being so inacurate in shape, it's the best i can do...
normal_RSbackplateissue.jpg

the left side again is way off the shoulder due to the string not being taut and the shoulder not being velcroed...at least thats what im hoping.. :facepalm
normal_LSbackplateissue.jpg

i also took a couple other shots with me cinching up the system by holding it down taught in the front...they look much better this way so im satisfied...

this side i suppose i couldve heat up and warped a tad more but too late for that now..lol
normal_leftsidejet pack.jpg

normal_rightsidejet pack.jpg

i also finsihed up my gloves...simple gardening gloves...same as jamie's zam gloves...I used an upholstery spray color that was close to get the color i wanted...it's a flexible paint...it needs touch ups every now and then but it will do seeing as i can't fit my hands into girly gloves..lol

flash
normal_glovesflash.jpg

no flash
normal_glovesnoflash.jpg

finished my gauntlets so for the most part the costume is finished...got some small things to do like sew in a clip inside the sleeves for the hoses and i wanted to add some fiberglass to the straps on the leg armor as well as sure up the knee armor with some fiberglass too...

i just need to grab a couple 1/4 X 1/8th hose barbs for the right gauntlet.
normal_finishedgauntlets.jpg

normal_finishedgauntlets2.jpg

normal_finishedgauntlets3.jpg

normal_finishedgauntlets4.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back