My attempt at a WOF scratchbuilt...

Jaiden

Active Hunter
Well, I finally got up the courage to ask my wife to indulge me:lol:;) in the hobby of making a WOF scratchbuilt bucket. And after seeing what I have so far, she's just about to forgive me for temporarily turning the living room into a war-zone of plastic shavings.:lol:

It all began with finding Alan's excellent templates (y)(y) I had plenty of cardboard laying around and knew I could get a decent start with at least the interior forms. (Sorry no pic:() Then I found DigiFett's thread and another that said when no Sintra supplier is nearby, "NO TRESPASSING" and "GARAGE SALE" signs from Wal-Mart will do.

That added together, and throw in a little foamcore board from Target (and a new printer8)), I was finally ready to take my own step into the WOF scratchbuilt world.

So far, I have purchased:
4- 15"x19" Garage Sale signs (I've only used two so far)
2- 11"x11" No Trespassing signs
1- 20"x30" Elmer's Foam Board
1- roll of regular masking tape

Since digifett has done so much so far, I won't bother with many details. I will say Vielen Dank Mein Freund! (Thank you my friend!)

I cut out the patterns, put together the main body, and "cooked" it (210*F for 3 minutes) and this was my result.
image034.jpg

I cut out the top and bottom form rings from the foam board...
image036.jpg

...and used them to attach the cheeks.
image038.jpg

Now, I'm in the process of adding the extra "masks" to the form.
image040.jpg

That's mine so far. In the next few days, I'll be finishing the masks and starting work on some of the smaller pieces.

Major kudos to Alan and Digifett. Thanks, guys!:cheers (y)(y)(y)

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the fold my friend. You'll find untold satisfaction from making your own bucket, I know I did.

It looks like you're off to a good start, just don't loose your momentum. If you have any questions, I'm sure that one of us scratch-build veterans would be more than willing to share our "trial by error" experience with you. It's always best to learn from others mistakes. ;)

Happy building. :cheers

Nice, I am almost ready to buy my signs to do the same as you have. It is amazing on what can be done with regular items. What are you going to use as a top ? Keep pics. coming.

Go Florida MANDOS !!!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! This is something I've been wanting to do for a while and I'm glad I can share it with you.

Nice, I am almost ready to buy my signs to do the same as you have. It is amazing on what can be done with regular items. What are you going to use as a top ? Keep pics. coming.

Go Florida MANDOS !!!

I got Alan's dome pattern and made a first one out of paper. But, I reprinted it and I'm going to try it with the sign material. This way I'll have something sturdier to put the glass on later.

David.

Fantastic!! In the first moment I thought I look at my helmet! I feel honored and understood :) That's good... Danke Dir auch mein Freund ! (Thank you too friend !)
I am excited to see more (y)

Chris

Thanks, Rob. I plan to!

BTW, was it you that posted the idea to use Garage Sale signs? I'm thinking it was but I can't find it in your thread.

I'm planning on starting on the dome this weekend. I'll be attempting two at a time; one with only the sign plastic and one with the foam board. And yes, I will post pics of both.

Wish me luck!

David.

Okay, here's my small dome tutorial.

Using the sign plastic, I laid out the dome patterns...
patternprecut.jpg

...and cut them out.
patterncut.jpg

Since I cut every line, I noticed that when the form is bent into shape, the lines break and you end up with over 100 pieces, if you're not careful. So, I put masking tape on the back side of the plastic.
snapped.jpg

Here's the rear section of the dome after taping...
halftaped.jpg

...and heres the completed dome back.
done.jpg

Here are the front two sections together...
2parts.jpg

...here's the inside of the completed dome showing my wonderful taping job:eek:...
domeint.jpg

...and here's the dome temporarily sitting on top of the bucket.
onbucket.jpg

I noticed that the smaller top pieces of the pattern are harder to tape, so I may either redo the center hub as one piece (out two lines or so), or I may just wait until I do the dome with the foam board.

I'm working on getting all the parts done before I start glassing. I'll post more updates later.

David.

You have alot of patience. Using cardboard and then fiberglass resin, is easier. I personally used the top of a pro-tec skate helmet. But im not going for acuracy. Im doing this whole project as a bet, but have become consumed with it.

DOME TUTORIAL PT 2

A small addition to the dome...
basering.jpg

I used the dome base pattern to make a ring similar to the ones made for the main bucket form. Now, it holds its form better.

I don't know what happened, but I think my printer somehow produced a slightly smaller pattern for the dome, or I didn't cut the pattern out right. I had to trim down the outer ring of the base to make it fit inside the dome. Either way, it's a good pattern and a base to put on the glass and Bondo build-up.

David.

KEYHOLE

The outer frame was made with foam board because it was the perfect thickness. The inner parts were cut out of sign material and taped in place.

I used a hair dryer on high-heat to soften the plastic and rolled it on the table with a small bottle.

Here is my result...
keyhole.jpg

David.

Off and on, I'd say about two weeks so far. You have to pace yourself. If you go too fast, you end up tired of the project and it starts to become a chore rather than a hobby. Plus, if you go too fast, you start to make stupid mistakes and get really frustrated. I don't ever want to get to that point. That's why, in addition to not having time this week because of overtime at work, I'm taking the week off. I'll get started again probably this weekend with the right ear.

David.

So far, I've put in 50 hours this week - AND I STILL HAVE 4 MORE TOMORROW!!!

Ugh!:angry(n) But the money's good...(y)

Anyway, I've done some work on the ear caps. I tried the left with the Wal-Mart foam board and I hate the results. I only have the top half of the right ear done for now and I hope to get the bottom half done tomorrow. For the right, I used foam board I found at Dollar Tree. It's the same size as the WM stuff, but it's not glossy and it trims better. I going to redo the left with that stuff.

This stuff's not the greatest for actual parts, but it'll be good for something to cast.

ears1.jpg

ears2.jpg

When I do remake the left ear and the bottom half of the right, I'll post a more extensive tutorial.

David.

Sorry, guys. I tried to fix a problem with my post and ended up double-posting! Chalk it up to overtime...

David.

Jaiden,
Strted mine as well, your pics were helpful, as well as THD. I have to bake the helm, soon, it's still fighting back a little. I think I have 1/2 mile of tape holding until then. ha ..
Keep pics up. following your lead..

Jaiden,
Strted mine as well,

Cool! Start a progress thread!

Okay. I think I like these ears. They're good enough to cast.

First, I cut out three pieces of foam board. I made them about 1 inch bigger than needed to have plenty of room to work with.
pieces.jpg

Next, I glued them together using clamps to get minimum spacing between the pieces. The clamps I used leave a small indentation in the foam that goes away a little. You could also place them between a few books or put scrap pieces of foam between the clamps and the pieces..
glueing.jpg

Here's a series of the left ear build.
Center the pattern on the foam.
left1.jpg

Carefully cut out the pattern and shave off the outside excess.
left2.jpg

Cut the slope of the ear by setting the blade at an angle and "sawing" off the excess. This way, you can apply even strokes and control the cutting.
left3.jpg

The top curve is the hardest part. But a little time, and it'll come out right.
left4.jpg

Last, the bottom.
left5.jpg

And here's the right (lower half). Same as before...tape on the pattern...
rightlower1.jpg

...and cut out the basic shape
rightlower2.jpg

On this one, I cut out the "goal post" on the table than traced the pattern on the foam.
rightlower3.jpg

Now, on to cutting the sides...
rightlower4.jpg

...the top and bottom...
rightlower5.jpg

...and here's the two right side pieces together.
fullright.jpg

Have fun, and be careful with knives.

David.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back