My attempt at a WOF scratchbuilt...

I did my sons jet pack the same way and it turned out okay. Foam + fiberglass kit + bondo. It was ALOT of sanding though. (yes, I know its not accurate... lol...) I can't seem to find the pic, but it looked exactly like that helmet of yours. Like a bondo birthday cake. ;)

fgdgdg002.gif
you've got to post a tutorial for this! i want to do one up to give as a christmas gift to the little boba i made for halloween

Ah, yeah. I spent more time in the Home Fix It departments. Spent about 1/8 of the time in Automotive. Thought it was for home stuff for some reason.

I'll hit either Auto zone or Advanced tomorrow. Both right next to each other, as always. Any idea about the general prices of each? I'm assuming about $10 give or take?

Thanks!

~Bio

Bondo is around $7 per can, and the fiberglass kits ( I think) were $20ish. Hope that helps.

Devilstar is half right.;) The Bondo I bought did cost about $7, but the repair kit was only $10. In my WM, it's in the repair section where all the automotive paints are. No two stores have the same layout, but it's there.

David.

Ah, well that price sounds better to me then. I'll have a look at Walmart first. Probably get a better price there than I will at one of those Auto places. I'll let you know how my scouting goes! :lol:

Hmmmm... methinks I recognize that jet pack from a thread on the STT. ???? Yes? ;)

I did my sons jet pack the same way and it turned out okay. Foam + fiberglass kit + bondo. It was ALOT of sanding though. (yes, I know its not accurate... lol...) I can't seem to find the pic, but it looked exactly like that helmet of yours. Like a bondo birthday cake. ;)

fgdgdg002.gif

Sorry, thought the jet pack was similar to one made by a member of the Sith Training Temple (www.sithtrainingtemple.net). The STT is a Darth Vader scratch-builders' site, but we have a little bit of bounty hunters and stuff there too.

Please excuse my shameless plug. If posting the link above is inappropriate I will be happy to remove it.

It should be fine.

Update: I have only slept two hours since my last post. Been awake about 38 hours now or so. I lost count. Anywas, I'm finishing up a few chores around the house and then I'm off to Walmart to find some of that stuff. Maybe Ill have more luck.

I have only slept two hours since my last post. Been awake about 38 hours now or so. I lost count. Anywas, I'm finishing up a few chores around the house and then I'm off to Walmart to find some of that stuff. Maybe Ill have more luck.

Dude, get some sleep!;):wacko

Progress has been made! Even though I wore a mask, I think I'm going to be tasting Bondo dust for a while.:lol:

bondorside2.jpg

bondofront2.jpg

bondolside2.jpg

This is still a very rough shape.

I sanded until I broke my first piece of paper. That's why the cheeks still look like a bad frosting job.

There are quite a few places that need filler, places where the fiberglass cloth was thicker than I expected and places where the Bondo was thinner than I thought. I think my wife is getting me a Dremel for my birthday (Nov 13, hint, hint;)) which will be great for the finer detail.

David.

Not as much progress as I'd like, but a bit at a time will get 'r done...

I ran out of hardener after this batch, but I got a little bit of patchwork done this morning. I'll be sanding this later today. I'll hopefully be picking up more hardener today also.

bondorside3.jpg

bondolside3.jpg

bondoback1.jpg

David.

More sanding and building up with Bondo...

I'm taking my time now because I really need a mouse sander.

Basically, all I did was make up three small batches and spread them on the face until it was the thickness I wanted.

Here's the left side...
bondolside4.jpg

...and here's a close up of the left cheek.
closeuplcheek.jpg

I do have some small places to touch up with small bits of filler, and I'm not too worried about the visor area. I can always trim that down later.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll be working on the right side.

David.

Already there, Bro.

Wait, was that a red Smurf?

Ah, nope, just a Bondo Bunny...:lol:

It looks like Red Tide has hit my garage!!!:p:wacko

David.

It looks like Red Tide has hit my garage!!!:p:wacko

David.

Not even going to touch that one. But on a more serious note, awesome bucket so far, man! I'm scratchbuilding mine out of cardboard presently too... Hope it turns out as good as yours!

Brief Update...

I was able to borrow a mouse sander earlier this week and I've been really hitting the face hard with build-up and sanding. I got some $$$ for my birthday and I'm picking up a router today! (y)(y)(y)

Pics are coming!

David.

FINALLY!!! Progress pics I can post.

I picked up a Dremel today ($39.99 WM 7.2v with 50 piece kit) and got a LOT of work done. That, and a lot of patience with the mouse sander, I think it's just about ready to paint.

almostdone1.jpg

almostdone2.jpg

And my favorite pic so far...
closelside.jpg

There are still a few places that need some patching and the whole thing needs a fine grain sanding, but for now, I'm relatively happy.

David.

That's some great progress. (y)

Now you'll hit the seemingly never ending "fine tuning" stage of the build. I'm still tweeking the dome on mine as I can still feel teeny tiny indents here and there... not that any one other than myself would ever know that they're there. ;)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back