Blaster progress

I've finally started working on my Jango blasters. First thing I did was cut out three 1/2" thick aluminum handles.

Then I chamfered the edges that were going to be touching each other.

I welded the plates together, then routed the extra weld bead off.

Last one is for size comparison to my hand.

Next thing for the grips is to router a 1 1/4" channel along the top and use the 3/8 round over bit on all the outside edges.

I've got the easy parts for the barrels rough cut, but none of the slots have been routed into them yet. And I will still need to sand and polish the barrels. The barrels are 1" OD aluminum tubing and the double mitered pieces in the back are 1" ID 1 1/4" OD.

I haven't started the muzzle or power cell cartridge yet, but I think I'm going to buy myself a mini metal lathe in the next couple of weeks.

Tim

imagejpeg_4.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_5.jpg

imagejpeg_6.jpg

Picked up the round over bit for the grips today. Looking at getting the round carving router bit later this week.

Jamie: yeah, I have access to a lot of different machines at work, pretty lucky that way

Looking good there so far...

How's this project going? I'm trying to do something similar, only with using the Rubies plastic handles, so that I can fit a Radio Transmitter inside it, allowing me to trigger the blaster sound effects by remote in my jet pack.

Only problem is, I don't have, or know anyone with a milling machine to do the barrel for me :-(

It is coming along (the project), I have just been pricing out a mini lathe online and I think I'll be ordering it within the next week. after that I'll be looking for an Aluminum supplier for the turned pieces.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back