Paint Progress ESB/ROTJ:SE Layered

never ending fett

Active Hunter
Yet another paint progress thread for a Sgt. Fang helmet. I don't get a whole lot of time to work on it. So updates may come slow and spuratic. I'm going for a ROTJ:SE costume so this will be a ESB helmet, or my best attempt at it. I'm doing it primarily layered, and doing touch ups topically when it's all finished.

Comments, criticisms, and tips are welcomed and encouraged. This is my first time really using an airbrush and it's the most in depth paint project I've tackled, followed by my armor.

I've started out after preping, and priming the helmet by painting the whole thing with testors aluminum (rattle can). Then I used a combination of stencils and free hand drawn on the scratches that will remain aluminum. Then painted on masking fluid inside the drawn on areas.

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

after masking off what would remain aluminum over the whole helmet, I painted the whole thing with Reefer Gray (all paints except the aluminum and the Panzer Olive Green are Floquil and PollyScale from the RS list)

After peeling off the the masking fluid I start drawing on the areas to be masked to leave both the aluminum and reefer grey exposed, starting with the dome and cheeks

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Layered can be very difficult to get it right, takes a lot of time and patience. But, the end results can be awesome. I really like what I see so far, I am going to watch this thread till the end

Very nice! Why not just leave on the first layer of liquid mask until you have put on the final layer?

partially because it can be hard to tell where the mask is even after one layer of paint, partially because there are some areas that need layered for one color of paint but not the next, but mostly because I want to check my progress as I go, just to see how it looks and see if I need to make any adjustments along the way. I just need to see my progress, when I see what I've acomplished and it looks good, it spurs me on to do more, when it looks like poo I get discouraged and set it aside longer than I should. Also If I goof enough that it needs to be started over, I'd rather know sooner than later.

Layered can be very difficult to get it right, takes a lot of time and patience. But, the end results can be awesome. I really like what I see so far, I am going to watch this thread till the end

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far. I've done more than what I've posted, just need to get the pictures taken and posted. I just hope it can compare to some of the great 's i've seen posted here lately.

I never found pollyscale or floquil Panzer Olive Green, so I ended up with Model Masters. I had a hard time getting it to work with the airbrush, even after thinning it. So I ended up brushing it on, it didn't come out very even, so I'll have to touch it up in the end, but here's the Panzer on the dome and cheeks and then with the fluid off and then lastly with the masking fluid and tape ready for the upper cheeks to be painted.

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back