Scratchbuilding helmet questions

Southern hunter

Active Hunter
Hi everyone! I'm in the midst of making a Boba bucket from scratch and had a few questions as I got further into it.:confused

Are the "Inner Layer" and "outer layer" both circular or do they follow the cheekbone line on the bottom of the template?

Second question: Is the "outer layer" composed of just the mandibles and brow or is it a full second layer?

Finally: If the inner and outer layer both overlap and join in the rear of the helmet, how do you get it smooth and put the keyhole slots in?

Thanks everyone for your help. :cheers

Fett_Helmet_outer layer.jpg

SH... I found that the Inner layer should have the seam at the front (as most is cut away) this will leave a nice surface for the rear of the helmet.
secondly yes the 'outer' layer will cover the mandibles/ear pieces and brow, I had the seam of this at the back. This also would depend on what thickness of material you are using?
Hope that helps? ;)

I don't know if what I did was exactly how it should be done, but what I did was to build the entire surface of the helmet, front to back, and cut out the cheeks after the top and bottom forms were glued in place. Then I applied the mandibles, ear plates and the ridge separately afterward. As mojo-fett said, the seam is better to put in the center front, so you get a nice clean smooth back.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back