Origin of The Dent!

Fett had saved his dad's (key word saved as a memorial) think about it folks..you just watched your Dad have his head cut off...you gonna scoop the bits out and start wearing that bucket?? I don't think so..I know I wouldn't.

Buddy, watch AOTC again, Jango's head clearly fly's out of his bucket in midair, you can see the shadow of it. And also, later, when Boba picked up Jango's bucket, shouldn't Jango's head fall out of it if it was still in there?

:p

-Naas

Fett Has many sets of armor. It can't be the same as jango's if he did have it resized he wouldn't fit it any more duh. Jango's armor was jasters since he recovered it when jaster was killed and had it when he was mandalore after the supercommandos we're murdered he got new armor which was not beskar, but duraplast as was Boba's seeing as beskar is pretty well indestructible, it wouldn't dent. Boba repaints his armor as well as seen in esb and rotj and holiday special. His armor is a version of the protectors not supercommandos like jango's is. He modifies his armor according to his needs. I belive Boba got his armor when he became a Journeyman Protector of Concord Dawn. Which is where he used Jaster's name so we think he had Jaster's armor, but he didn't. Most mandalorians who don't live on mandalore(the planet) don't have beskar armor. Any more questions?

THIS IS MY TAKE ON THE DENT... it is very simple... its safe to say we all have Fett buckets of our own, and if some of you dont, I bet you at least wore one at least a few times... YOU HAVE SEVERE TUNNEL VISION!! I think Lucas even reemphasized the problem with Jango hitting his head on the slave one. It is as simple as that... I would bet dollars to donuts that they hit their heads a couple times a day...

Best pic I can find without getting the comic itself.
"Enemy of the Empire, 4 of 4"
Boba's Gaunt missle/laser, whatever its being called these days is deflected back and swack! Right in the noggin.

Oh yeah.....and my Mom can beat up your Mom !!!!!

:lol:

Fett VS Vader.jpg

Reading this feels like watching a tennis match, back and forth, back and forth. Love the debate though. Even if GL or another approved project explicitly states the origin, how many sets of armor, and whose armor Boba has and wears, I think it will always be a matter of acrimonious contention. I gave up overthinking the issue and when someone asks where did the dent come from....it is never an easy answer. Well some say....... For costuming purposes origin really doesn't matter..does it? However I can relate to anyone who has quested to find out everything they can about the galaxies most feared bounty hunter. The beautiful thing about the origin of the dent and armor is that there are so many possibilities and therefore it is up to each person to choose for themselves what they decide to believe to be the actual legacy. In the end....It is what it is - The Dented Helmet. How would an appearance of Boba in tv, cinema, print with his green color scheme and NO dent affect the community? The Non-Dented Helmet?

What if it's a nother Mandalorian with armor that looks very much like
Boba's and his dent was from rolling a one some were, some time.
And they got helmets mixed up at a bar
thx

I watched both sequences shot-by-shot on my computer, and the dent wasn't there on the top of Jangos helmet when he was holding it on the balcony on Utapau over-looking the arena. But when he stands up after the horned beast attempts to run him over, there it is.

The sequence on Kamino when Jango bumps his head entering Slave1, was done in tribute to episode four when the stormtrooper bangs his head on the bottom of the door entering the control room. They could've easily edited out the trooper hitting his head, but instead left it and merely added the radio static sound to mask the "clunk" of his helmet hitting the door. 8)
ohhhhhh I never knew that. THX!

anyone else wondering why Jango's head doesn't pop out of the helmet when Boba picks it up... that would be creapy.

Ok I know this is a very very old post but since someone just posted in it I'll say this.
If you watch it in slo-mo when jango's head gets choped off and it shows the helmet hit the ground, there's a shadow from his head falling out of the helmet before it hits the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is a dead thread that has just been revived probably accidentally, but I have just read through the bulk of it and a few points occurred to me that nobody seems to have considered. One thing for sure, the origin of the dent is not clear, nor is it important. Now this is just my opinion, but the more the origin remains a mystery, the better the character of Boba Fett is to me. In the context of the original films, the damage to his armor is there simply to suggest >visually< a character with a substantial history. Nothing more or less than that. Now beyond that, let's consider one obvious flaw of logic that Jango's helmet and Boba's helmet are the same helmet with the dent originating with Jango. Obviously Boba gave the helmet a repaint if it was originally Jangos'. Now for the dent to show up with chipped paint and damaged and burn marks like it is in ESB, he would've either had to paint around the original dent and then chip the paint and add other marks on top of the new paint job to make it look like the paintjob preceded the dent, or he would've had to taken a blow to the helmet in the exact same spot that would've damaged the new paintjob so that there was no paint in the dent anymore. Both of these explanations seem extremely implausible. The real problem here (as has been pointed out before) is that the storytellers and the prop people were not at all concerned with matching details so that there would be a logically consistent storyline as to the history of Boba's helmet. For crying out loud, how can you explain Boba repainting his helmet between ESB and ROTJ but still have paint chipped away from the dent as if it had been blasted yet again? Was his primer really that bad in that one spot every repaint? I think what this means is that, in essence, even though it makes no logical sense based on the details of the films, the Jango helmet was >storywise< meant to be the Boba helmet, just as the ESB helmet and the ROTJ helmet were meant to be the same helmet, not a new or repainted helmet. The reality is, there is so much going on making a movie like this, details like this are just too minuscule for there to have enough of an effort surrounding them to make them hold up to any logical scrutiny 10 to 30 years later. Especially when the main storyteller, GL, goes back and tinkers with everything and mucks it all up without respecting his own creation. I think anyone is free to adhere to whatever line of logic they wish for the dent's origin. For me, I don't want to know the backstory of the dent. Or -- I do, but... not really. Just as I found out after finally getting through Episode III, I didn't really want to know the back story to the original trilogy after all.

I'll disagree in part. Leaving out the size and symmetry issues, and allowing for Boba to have stripped the blue off completely before repainting the helmet... As those in this community who have done so can attest, making an impression/casting of the Boba dent is simplicity itself, as is marking the position on the helmet dome. It's actually the same dent as in Threepio's head. They probably either took a positive from that, or still had the original "dent stamper" that they'd used for Threepio. They have at least six Boba helmets in the LFL Archives, all of which have identical dents. No excuse to not have the dent in the same place and be the same size and shape if they'd wanted it to be the same helmet. It's an homage to the Boba crater, nothing more.

I can go with Boba having multiple gauntlets and capes and gloves and weapons and rocketpacks, but it stretches believablity as far as the damage and scuffing to the other armour plates and helmet being so nearly identical between versions. The physical damage was cast in, and one person painted four of the helmets so identically that LFL screwed up and sent the wrong one to Master Replicas for reproduction, and the other person painted three more very similarly in their own right -- both to each other and the other four. I can get behind Boba having multiple sets of armour, but -- accessories aside -- what we saw in ESB and ROTJ were supposed to be the same suit. And that suit wasn't Jango's. The helmet's different, the armour plates are different, the flak vest is different, the bodysuit is different, the girth belt is different, the boots are different, the gloves are different... And all drastically so. Much moreso than between versions of Boba, for the most part.

As for the material itself... Beskar is the indigenous term for what the outer galaxy calls Mandalorian iron. It is apparantly very strong, very hard to work properly to attain its maximum benefits, and very resistant to lightsabers. I do not personally subscribe to the "impervious super-metal" twaddle bandied about both on the internet and in various EU sources. I know people will yell at me for bringing real-world stuff into SW, but tough. If it is an iron isotope, many of its properties have to already be known, since we know how iron behaves. I won't get into a dissertation on how lightsabers likely work, from the observed phenomena, but if beskar is lightsaber-resistant, then it's probably got a lot of free electrons in its crystalline structure. And the mysterious metalworking skills of the Mandalorian smiths probably retained most or all of those. In order to not oxidize/rust, it would have to be alloyed or amalgamated with other elements. Steel, for instance, is an amalgam of iron and carbon. It still rusts. Stainless steel has traces of chromium and nickel and other non-oxidizing metals mixed in to make it resistant to rusting. Those smiths conjecturally manage to make an alloy or amalgam with beskar that retains all its properties whilst still making it strong and resistant to oxidation.

However, no metal I know of -- pure, alloy, or amalgam -- is utterly rigid and insulating. No matter what you have to work with, if it's light enough and thin enough to form and wear as these plates are worn, something somewhere will be able to dent, cut, melt, or penetrate it. The function of armour is to deflect, absorb, dissipate, ablate, and otherwise minimize damage. The best defense is always to simply not be there when the blow lands, but, failing that, reduction is good. I personally believe there's a lot more to the Mandalorian armour than the plates we see on the surface. Like an inner pressure/thermal suit with anti-ballistic properties, a flightsuit made out of armorweave or some such, ditto the flak vest, and that the torso and joint plates are just an extra outer layer of even more protection. I've always felt it did Boba a disservice to say he had ****** armour because it was all dented. I'd rather say how awesome he was to have always walked away from whatever the heck did that to Mandalorian iron (or an alloy thereof). Plus, you have to remember that even if the armour didn't dent, the kinetic energy would still be transmitted unless some ablative properties are in effect. Doesn't matter if you have the most impenetrable armour in the galaxy if taking a round from a turbolaser pulverizes your ribs and spine and turns your internal organs to paté.

Back to Jango and his dent, to finish. Continuity of that dent is a shambles. It isn't there on the CG stand-in. It's there on most of the live shots, but not all, and there's no rhyme or reason to which shots it's in. Because of this, and how early it first appears, I like to say it was there before the movie even started. Perhaps sustained whilst training the ARC Troopers. ;)

--Jonah

Okay, this is a dead thread that has just been revived probably accidentally, but I have just read through the bulk of it and a few points occurred to me that nobody seems to have considered. One thing for sure, the origin of the dent is not clear, nor is it important. Now this is just my opinion, but the more the origin remains a mystery, the better the character of Boba Fett is to me. In the context of the original films, the damage to his armor is there simply to suggest >visually< a character with a substantial history. Nothing more or less than that. Now beyond that, let's consider one obvious flaw of logic that Jango's helmet and Boba's helmet are the same helmet with the dent originating with Jango. Obviously Boba gave the helmet a repaint if it was originally Jangos'. Now for the dent to show up with chipped paint and damaged and burn marks like it is in ESB, he would've either had to paint around the original dent and then chip the paint and add other marks on top of the new paint job to make it look like the paintjob preceded the dent, or he would've had to taken a blow to the helmet in the exact same spot that would've damaged the new paintjob so that there was no paint in the dent anymore. Both of these explanations seem extremely implausible. The real problem here (as has been pointed out before) is that the storytellers and the prop people were not at all concerned with matching details so that there would be a logically consistent storyline as to the history of Boba's helmet. For crying out loud, how can you explain Boba repainting his helmet between ESB and ROTJ but still have paint chipped away from the dent as if it had been blasted yet again? Was his primer really that bad in that one spot every repaint? I think what this means is that, in essence, even though it makes no logical sense based on the details of the films, the Jango helmet was >storywise< meant to be the Boba helmet, just as the ESB helmet and the ROTJ helmet were meant to be the same helmet, not a new or repainted helmet. The reality is, there is so much going on making a movie like this, details like this are just too minuscule for there to have enough of an effort surrounding them to make them hold up to any logical scrutiny 10 to 30 years later. Especially when the main storyteller, GL, goes back and tinkers with everything and mucks it all up without respecting his own creation. I think anyone is free to adhere to whatever line of logic they wish for the dent's origin. For me, I don't want to know the backstory of the dent. Or -- I do, but... not really. Just as I found out after finally getting through Episode III, I didn't really want to know the back story to the original trilogy after all.
who cares if this thread has been revived? what does it matter to you?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back