Dremel bit question?

Hi everyone,

I'm still fairly new to alot of costuming techniques, building etc. I know almost everyone uses the dremel to cut out the visor area of your helmet, and I've figured out that I need a Flex shaft. My question is, has anyone tried the cutting bits? Like a drill bit but you can move them side to side to out material like sheet rock, etc. I think they may be called a twist bit? Any info would be greatly appreaciated!

Yup,

Here's my writeup on the Dremel bits that can be used.

http://thepropden.aokforums.com/bit-by-bit-dremel-tool-bits-useful-for-prop-helmets-vt567.html

Here's a hint: I realize that many people rush to cut out the T-Visor, but it may actually pay off to do that last. For some reason, my helmet had some stresses in it, and when I cut it, it warped (so I'm using heat and other techniques to make the shape right). Also, without the "T" area, certain areas were floppy and difficult to sand.

Mac, that's good info! I need to find a ball tip, for the backside of the T-visor. Doing those corners can be a little tricky due to the angle.

Right now I'm working on one Marrow Sun's custom helmets, and finding it very difficult to get a cut off wheel into certain areas of the visor, so I'm thinking the cutting bit is the way to go. Thanks for all the info and the link.

Be real careful when using a cutting bit. If you don't keep a good grip on it, it can "drift" and mess up your finish surface. Go slowly!

I just used the reinforced cutoff wheels. They cut through resin (Sgt. Fang) like butter. Then I fine tuned corners with needle files.

When cutting into the eye slit corners I just cut in as far as I could go then then used the edge of the cutoff wheel moving it up and down like it was a grinder.

ya, that "twister " bit u gotta be careful with! u can easily have it jump on u and do more damage than good. its actually a router bit to use with the router atachment for the dremmel

Be real careful when using a cutting bit. If you don't keep a good grip on it, it can "drift" and mess up your finish surface. Go slowly!

I CANNOT agree with this more. I have experienced "drift" too many times and it is WAY annoying to have to fix the mess. Like I tell people...take your time and go SLOW.

Kata

I CANNOT agree with this more. I have experienced "drift" too many times and it is WAY annoying to have to fix the mess. Like I tell people...take your time and go SLOW.

Kata

I've found it helps to drill a hole with a regular drill bit that the cutting bit will fit into and then use the side of the cutting bit to cut. That way you don't have to use the dull top to try to make a hole.

I just used the reinforced cutoff wheels. They cut through resin (Sgt. Fang) like butter. Then I fine tuned corners with needle files.

When cutting into the eye slit corners I just cut in as far as I could go then then used the edge of the cutoff wheel moving it up and down like it was a grinder.

This is the same method I used on my fiber glass bucket. It worked really well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
For most 'cutting' of my face shield, i actually used the 'cylinder' shaped grinding wheel, and just ground down a line. If you hold the dremel like a pencil you can make a pretty sharp, straight line, I was able to use just the grind out method, instead of cut, for everything excep tthe corners of the eyes (on a reg boba helm though).

It takes a lot longer, but your less likely to 'drift' 'slip' or 'over cut'.

In the corners I used the cut off wheel like mentioned, got it close then used a nice square file.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back