Scratch Built from WOF Templates - 1st run at it.

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
Ok so heres the helmet I built from the WOF templates, Sort of.

I used the face and ear piece templates, but changed the shape some. I had an 'idealized' helmet and painting of fett, that I really liked the sharpness of the beak, and the non movie acurate rear keyhole plate. Instead of being multi layered, its more of a recess.

I realize that there are things not positioned right, but they are just tac'd into place so I can see what needs to be done still.

I need to drill some holls and re-position / shorten the ear pieces a bit.

Theres also so me wierd shadows from the flash, but most of the lines are actually fairly straight and even.

Been a fun project so far, Overcoming the initial problems took a while, but now that I understand and have a nice process for putting the pieces together, I could do one alot better in half the time.

The lower don post helmet is the one with the flared cheeks, and pointy beak. I think its a 95 or 96
helmet.jpg

Well, sintra didnt flex very well for me even under heat it warped. So I used a poly styrene, like the plastic 'for sale' signs you get from home depot/menards etc.

Now, theres a few ways to glue it. My plastic came from a plastic shop, and they had an acrylic type glue, that actually melted the plastic and it welded to its self, It was VERY strong. But it took a lot of time. Once you have your glue figured out, heres the short of what I did.

Build it in paper, so you know how it goes together. Just using outer surface and dome and cheeks dont use the inner surface etc.

In the templates theres an 'inner surface' and an 'outer surface'. I cut the inner and the outer surfaces so that they would be glued in the back.

I fully cut the outer surface out, and glued it over the inner.

Then I glued it in the back, with a piece of backing plastic, so it made the shape of the helmet.

I used a skate helmet for the dome.

When the outer and inner are glued together, there is a 'ridge' for the helmet to slide into, which makes it come together nice and snug.

I wrapped them and put them in the oven at 300 F for 3 minutes, let it cool and it held its shape pretty well.

Then I cut the cheeks out of the innser surface and began to do the cheek/mandibles.

Once done with that, I cut most of the innser surface out of the visor and began work on the ear pieces.

I used 3mm sintra layers, build them up then used my 10 inch grinder to sculpt them into the right shapes.

From there, its all trial and error and jumping around. Hope that helps.

Ciao.

It does help a little. Me personally, I'm a very visual person. If I can see it done, I can do it, but I have a hard time just following printed directions. that's why I love this board because of all the progress pics.

I'm working on a SB WOF bucket also, and this does help. Thanks!

David.

I can probably make a 3d max tutorial showing how the pieces overlay.

I need to figure out how im goign to do the arrows.

I think im goign to use a sheet of abs, put the arrows, and use a dremel to create a recess for it. so its sharp, and not too deep.

I should have done it long ago, but im lazy.

awsome, that does help ALOT, im now trying to decide wich would be more difficult: reshaping and modding the ugly 1997 boba helm/or making a helmet out of scratch like this : /

I would do both.
I would do the visor on the don post, and play with it, do some painting and sanding, and I would start your own.

With a reference helmet and experience, its fairly easy to build one from scratch, however it is time consuming.

youll make faster progress on the don post.

And youll have something to do while the proverbial 'paint dries'.

Thanks Stormrider, looks good! Like Jaiden, I need to see the process visually to get an understanding of the process, so if you do get the 3Dmax going, PM me.

One question. You mentioned wrapping it. What did you use and did you wrap it so it won't burn or to keep the shape?

Rytil.

I used masking tape. At 300 degrees, for 3-5 minutes it doesnt get too hot. I used artists masking tape though, so the sticky tck didnt melt off (its not as high tack as some painting tape).

I have a demo version of max. Ill load it up and see if i can whip out some quick pic's of the initial build.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back