The Mandalorian Legacy Updates

A new webdoc, Fashion in a Galaxy Far, Far Away has been launched which spotlights the costume design process for the film. This is part one in a two part series that will give an exclusive look into The Mandalorian Legacy costume deparment. You can find it along with all the previous webdocs at: http://www.themandalorianlegacy.com/webdocs.htm

The film has been accepted onto IMDB and can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260577/. The page is currently being updated with the entire cast and crew; it will continue to update as more cast and crew are added during production and post-production.

Any fan that wants to get some exclusive TML merchandise can now aqcuire it with the launch of the official TML store. As time passes, more exclusive merchandise will be released for fans that wish to enhance their collections and help support the film (all merchandise profits help fund the film). http://www.themandalorianlegacy.com/store.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
First - Welcome to the board. Second - let me flat out state that I am not trying to put you or your film down. I admire your willingness to blaze blindly forward on this.

Ok, now for the reality check - and I am terribly sorry for being so blunt, but perhaps I can save you a lot of money in legal fees. If LFL did not know about this project I am certain they soon will with the IMDB listing.

Without approval from our friends up north though I honestly cannot see this one going very far in the theaters. Perhaps coming to a courtroom near you?

LFL holds the copyrights to all of this and they don't look too kindly on people trying to profit from it. I am pretty sure they will no longer see this as a "fan film" if you are trying to get a theatrical release. And you're merchandising?! You're going to create and sell Star Wars toys?! Holy crud you have cojones! Lucas has spent a lot of money holding onto those rights - I cannot imagine he will hand them over to you with a handshake or a hug. Ask Andrew Ainsworth how that worked out for him.

Their lawyers contacted me for a stupid little ad I did in a very small magazine years ago because the character looked like Indiana Jones. So make sure you have a legal team that is very, very good built into your budget.

Seriously, I am not trying to put down your efforts - in fact I applaud them. But you are about to step on a really big land mine (IMHO) if you are not working directly through LFL (I hope you have a refrigerator to hide in :D) - and given what I have seen from your site you're not. You don't use the LucasFilm trademarks and there is no attribution at all. This is such a clear cut case of copyright infringement that there is no way you could ever win.

Good luck with the film. I certainly appreciate all of the time, money, and effort you are putting into it and hope that it works out for you. I hope to see it someday, if not in theaters then on one of the fan sites.

I'm putting out a serious ??? I pretty much second everything that Bubba Fett has said. Have LFL been in contact with you at all? If they haven't, then their laywers aren't doing their jobs, and they probaly will be soon. This is a pretty major and blatant case of copywright infringement. I'm genuinely suprised that this project hasn't already been shutdown by LFL. Also trying to tell the story behind one of the best anti-heros of all time and the character that this site is prety much dedicated to is a bold move.

I've been wondering the same things. Again, not criticizing your efforts at all, in fact I look forward to seeing the film. On a side note, the guy that's been cast as Boba Fett looks alot like a younger Jango and is a good pick for an in-between age. Hope he can act as well as he looks the part.

Okay, I would like to take the time to clear up some of your questions/concerns. First off, I would like to thank you for all of your concerns and pointers. As far as everything goes, we have cleared the project with LFL and spoken with Steve Sansweet. We will not be selling anything that has LFL licensed material and will not be profiting from anything. Everything goes straight to helping fund the expenses of the film. By theatrical release, we mean a NON-PROFIT theatrical release. We will be having specific showings at certain theaters and letting everyone know where and when the showings are. These are to get the word out about the film and to let fans get to see it on the big screen and not confined to the realms of the internet (the film will be online). We will be holding a number of showings and would be more than happy to have any of you at the screenings. The project is mainly being done with the intent of being presented to LFL as a resume, of the individuals in the project, with the intent of working on the upcoming live action TV show. LFL has already expressed interest in the project and would like to see the end result for this very purpose when it is all finished. We do have a legal team as part of the production and if we run into a CAD issue with Lucasfilm, we will gladly comply (as not to anger the corp that has been so good to all fan created content). Lucasfilm has been very gracious enough to let us fans make fan films (as long as we do not profit from them). Other properties, such as Warner Bros. and TFC have not let fans do this. Our legal team has advised us about not selling anything with LFL licensed content and they are currently looking over the store to ensure everything is okay. Our biggest source of help from the fans is by individual and corporate sponsorships. These donations help fund the film and allow us to actually achieve what we would like the film to be. If any of you would like to contribute and donate in any way, it would be greatly appreciated in getting this project fully off the ground.

Thanks for clearing all that up. I don't think you would have made it this far if what you are saying isn't true. Good luck to everyone on the project and hopefully you will make some headway in getting your feet in the LFL door.

Yep, sounds like you're probably covered.

I must admit that I am still shocked that they are not requiring any trademark information or attribution, and that they are allowing you to sell merchandise for the film. Does not sound at all like LFL.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the movie when it is done.

Thank you all for the support, it is greatly appreciated. We will continue to post updates about the film in this thread, so you can all check out what's happening with it. We are getting closer to production, so updates will be coming at a more frequent pace.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back