*OFFICIAL INTEREST THREAD* for Spideyfett/Evan4218 Machined Metal Ears

Update... update... update pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.... need to see it finished and mounted in the FPH !!!

P.S. one question, out of curiosity... have you thought about making the hole (or the "house") to put the switch in the top right ear piece ??? (where you attach the stalk)... like the original one ??? (I ask you this cause I've seen that it's not in the prototype, and well, would be really great to have that "space" ???...

Is there any possibility to make it ???

I'm dying to get mine :D

Wow.

I just got back from the machine shop with evan4218 and SpideyFett. These parts look incredible! Very clean, and they fit the FPH like a glove. I am now more impressed having seen them in person.

For all you fence-sitter, get ready to jump down and buy these!

We just took a few pics of the helmet placed on my mannequin, but I'll let evan4218 post his high-res pictures first. :)

P.S. one question, out of curiosity... have you thought about making the hole (or the "house") to put the switch in the top right ear piece ??? (where you attach the stalk)... like the original one ??? (I ask you this cause I've seen that it's not in the prototype, and well, would be really great to have that "space" ???...

If your refering to the switch like the one mrgr8tness put in his in the small area on the right side of the inside top right ear cap then no. I dont belive that to be on the real one... as I have never seen evidence of it on the real thing... :)

Update to come shortly... I gave my pics to Spideyfett to add to his write up. :) :cheers

BIG UPDATE!!!!!!

:)Hi all...

As promised today was D-day for our hired machinist....and Let me just say, WOW :eek:...he really came through for us.

We (Me, Evan4218, and Batninja) made the trip early this morning to visit with the Machinist and view the first two prototypes of the finished ears and RF stalk assembly.... I think from the moment I saw them I was blown out of the water and almost fainted at the first site of them:eek:, mainly because the amount craftsmanship and professionalism that was put into these by our machinist was just amazing!!!! They really made us all speechless.......I think we all had a tear in our eye. :cry

Before I post the pics (taken by Evan4218 ) I want to reiterate that these are the first "prototype" ears....and we have already worked with our machinist to get correct modifications done...all be it very little was needed in terms of any mods... TRUST ME....they're perfect as is;)....
at this point we were just happy that we got to bring these babies home today!!(y)

Rather than post the run information (costs) which will come later tonight, I want this post to be simply about the pictures.... So we can all see them mounted on the new FPH, which these ears are made for...but not limited to.

Final assembly will come with a TEMPLATE to ensure you drill the holes correctly to mount your ears properly.(y)

SO ON WITH THE PICS!!! (y)

metalears_sider_sm.jpg

metalears_siderf2_sm.jpg

Details:

1. All the holes you see have threaded holes drilled, meaning you can literally screw the bolt in from the front side and not have to worry about attaching a nut on the backside/inside of the helmet, (nut attachment though is still recommended)......
The entire kit will include all of the hardware needed to mount your own ears.(slight modifications are being made to the placement of the threaded connection holes)

outerear_inside_sm.jpg

2. The Ear Cap (my favorite part) will come with a pegged fitting with Magnet attachment :eek:, as you can see from the pics....
Magnets will come with the kit and are on BOTH the RF housing base and the Ear Cap. And trust me this ear cap will NOT fall off....plus the pegs are 100% steel, for added strength. (y)

outerearcap_inside_sm.jpg

outerearcap_outside2_sm.jpg

3. The Left Ear Piece , As you can see in the pics the depth of the gap in the ear piece is not as deep as it should be(n)....a simple mod on that will be in the final product.... with few additional mods here and there.

leftear4_sm.jpg

4. Hollow Range Finder Stalk, right now the kit will include a hollow rangefinder stalk....but there are TWO versions........
a. one where there is simply a hole drilled all the way through (most Popular version)
b. and a second version where there is a plate-covering that will need to be glued on (more accurate, and according to Braks may be simply a stunt version stalk, pics posted above by Evan4218 on post # 22)

stalk1_sm.jpg

Addtional PICS:

front1_sm.jpg

front3_sm.jpg

leftear3_sm.jpg

metalears_siderf_sm.jpg

outerearcap_outside3_sm.jpg

leftear7_sm.jpg

**Special Thanks to GBH and Fettpride for all their hard work .....you the man bro's!!(y)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well? I got one thing to say ....

SCHOOLGIRL !!!!!

I just squealed like one :lol:

Not sure if it's been said yet or not ... but does it occur to anyone that this will be the FIRST TIME that anyone has EVER offered machined ear caps to the prop community ???? It's been a long time coming :cheers

FP

:eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE SHIZZNITS!!!

THE ULTIMATE HELMET SET-UP!!!

STICK A FORK IN THIS ONE PEEPS, IT'S NOT GETTING ANY BETTER! (y)(y)

Not sure if it's been said yet or not ... but does it occur to anyone that this will be the FIRST TIME that anyone has EVER offered machined ear caps to the prop community ???? It's been a long time coming :cheers
FP

Exactly, at this price for a 5 piece set??? this is unheard of!!.....
So get these while you can.....we may not do another run, and if we do def NOT at this price.(y)

Glad you guys all like so far...

and PM'S REPLIED.

SaaaWeeeet!!!!!! Give me a minute guys while I pick up my jaw from the floor :lol: Someone please tip the chef...MASTERFUL WORK (y)

~Kevin

Spidey, sorry I wasn't able to give you a clearer view of what I was talking about in my PM, I was at another computer at the time. This is the little gap I was referring to:
Compare2.gif

Another thing I noticed is, on the bottom piece of the ear cap, theres a small flat edge that looks like it's not on the prototype. It looks like the angled slope on the real deal would of gone all the way to the back, bottom edge of the ear base, but the edge was just chopped off. Just curious if any of you guys noticed this?:)
Compare1.gif

-Carson

Great observations Carson... (y)..

and yes, we saw allot of little things like this...and most of them have been fixed and made aware to the machinest.....most are minor fixes......a simple measurement change in the program should fix allot of these.

I think allot has to do with the angle in which the pictures were taken aswell...we'll post straighter on angles soon....just really haven't had time.

Glad you guys like them...

Please feel free to continue to critique them, as we can still make changes at this stage.(y)

:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back