Rohlan Dyre Progress Thread -- Image Intensive

Looking fantastic!! Great choice and greater work!!

For the backpack, I'm interested in how you're going to do the "glowing green liquid".

Water w/ a cylume lightstick added?

For the green glow on the backpack (and maybe inside the helmet, depending on how you interpret some of the comic panels), you could use those "pimped PC" type green LEDs. Search on eBay for "PC green LED", for examples.

Yes. I eventually plan on doing runs of each of these. And, I guess...the Coruscant Guards were really only mentioned in SOTE as Xizor's temple guards.

Hmmm...

No update as of yet for this week, but I was able to get 2/3 of my fenceposts planted this week! 80 feet to go, and then the task of putting up all 240 feet of lumber. :facepalm

And I only hurt myself once this week! LOL.

Or is the issue that people would like to do more Mandalorians, but aside from just doing a custom repaint, there's not much out there to really work with?

And sculpting new things -- from the response and questions I've seen so far -- is that not many know where to begin?

If you'd like, I'll put together a tutorial with links on where to get tools and materials from. I'd love to see more people doing original work. A few years ago our FanForce only had a couple of us that could do props, but over time we've got everyone doing something. It's the same with our garrison. Some sculpt, vac, electronics, sew, sew, sew, machine, lathe -- it's actually pretty impressive, and I love seeing all the new work all the time. And our FF group projects are crazy -- we've done everything from mass X-Wing costumes to Batman, and even restored (with the help of our garrison) the X-Wing many of you saw at C3.

But what I like seeing more are things that haven't been done before. That's really why I like doing this.

Actually, Im very good with my hands, and very creative, but find a lack of 'process' posts on this board.

For example, I created a scratch built mando helmet in the last few weeks, and it was difficult to figure some of the 'simple' things out. Mainly because as of 5 years ago, I stopped doing physical physical art, and started only doing digital art. I am a web designer, 3d artist, and just havent been able to keep up with some of the newest things. I havent sculpted or even fabricated since college.

That being said, My helmets getting close to 'revealable', and its fair. And at some point, Ill want to scult gauntlets, make a Mold. Create some copies of some of the things. To us newbs we have no idea:

What type of clay to buy.
Where to buy it. (Art stores are obvious, but I had a hard time even finding newspaper board originally)
Where to get resins/silicons etc. Which type to buy. Why. Where etc.

In short, a tutorial from you on...

I bought 'this clay'. Its properties (It will stay soft, hard, hardens etc) I scuplted it hollow or build up. I measured depths on each sides with pins etc...

Once Finished I coated it with xxxxx and then used namebrand silicone from superstore to create... You get the idea.

Often the tuts leave out some of the simple stuff. If you could fill me in on some of these little secrets, Id be extremely grateful.

I posted a post asking a couple of simple helmet finishing questions, and never got even 1 reply. I suppose that maybe its a trial by fire not to offer up suggestions, or perhaps so many people talk about doing something and never actually do it, that people tend not to respond, but either way, it adds a level of frustrating to a rather daunting task.

I could redo this helmet in 1/4 the time, 2x as good, just knowing what I learned so far on this build.

Thanks, in short id love to see a detailed tut, including recipes:)

Ciao
Mason

Ok. I can do that. I'll also dig up some online sources for clay, too -- I know that I'm fortunate in that there's an art house not too far away where I can buy bulk clay.

And a quick update from me -- not much to say. :facepalm Last couple of weeks have been pretty busy during the day while I've been finishing/destroying the yard, the night's been spent wrapping up a little side contract (which should be done this week...yay), and the few hours I got this weekend, I finally did my final 8-hour push to level 70 in World of Warcraft (which I've been neglecting for the last 4 weeks). LOL. :wacko

Hopefully will have something more from this upcoming weekend.

No worries, Q. We all still have to maintain our day jobs to eat, and there's nothing in the Rule Book that says "Thou shalt spend all thy days sculpting masterful creations for the multitudes-eth.":lol:

Sometimes you get into a vein and go-go-go! But sometimes, you take a break to get new inspiration. Take your time, Bro. We're not going anywhere (thanks to the response notifications;) )

David.

Unfortunately the image intensive aspect of this thread was unavailable to me.
I would absolutely love to be able to see your progress on your helmet and all aspects of this project. When I read through this thread all I saw when it came to your pictures was a square and a cross inside. The more computer savy amongst you are probably having a good laugh right now but `I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe' (sorry about that).
:eek:
I'm not sure if I'm posting in a thread long forgotten but I only discovered this thread tonight.
Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I'm posting in a thread long forgotten but I only discovered this thread tonight.
Many thanks.

You are posting in a thread long forgotten. ;) The OP hasn't logged on here since last October. :facepalm The domain where the original poster was hosting his pics has expired.

Shame, too, since this was a really promising project. All that I think I remember was that the guy was named Josh, he's TK-4752 in the mountain garrison, and he's a good sculptor. If anybody else can track him down, I'd love to know whether he ever cast that Rohlan Dyre sculpt.

I added to this thread without knowing it was lost and forgotten.
I intend to start my own Rohlan Dyre armour and hopefully contribute some thing productive to this forum.
I have gathered some great reference material toward this goal ( any pictures would be greatly appreciated from other members), but I am curious as to opinions on the fact two different artists have brought this armour to life.
Whose do I choose? does it matter? can I incorporate from both?
Many, many thanks for input.....

I added to this thread without knowing it was lost and forgotten.
I intend to start my own Rohlan Dyre armour and hopefully contribute some thing productive to this forum.
I have gathered some great reference material toward this goal ( any pictures would be greatly appreciated from other members), but I am curious as to opinions on the fact two different artists have brought this armour to life.
Whose do I choose? does it matter? can I incorporate from both?
Many, many thanks for input.....

Don't worry about adding to an old thread, especially if you're planning to take on a project as cool and different as this. The thing about Rohlan Dyre's helmet and armor is that he's probably been drawn slightly differently by half a dozen artists. If you picked your favorite aspects of each artist's interpretation, it would still be a great costume.

Hey, my first post on this forum, YAY!

I've been thinking about the rohlan dyre armor, and if I do it, I'll mostly use Steve Argyle's version (no, he didn't write in the comic... I think)

He made a kickass wallpaper off Rohlan, which I think is quite awesome.

Continuing my slow orbit around this system's sun, I found myself drifting past this little blue planet again...

I have to apologize for the dead images. Will get them up again once I find a place to drop them where they won't poof if I decide to stop paying for a hosting account that I rarely use.

I still owe Stormrider a tutorial, too, assuming he hasn't already passed me in knowledge.

So, what's happened with the progress? I started logging stuff on a somewhat mostly project-oriented blog over here. I haven't touched the helmet since January, though -- been mostly busy trying to find a job so I can actually pay for my projects. LOL. I am happy with where the helmet is, though, and I'll be able to get a silicone mold of it once I figure out where I can do it.

Family's a little larger now (we just had our 3rd kid this past Summer), and the kids are starting to encroach on my project space. I started cleaning/re-organizing our spare room and turning it into an office/studio, so we'll have space to work on our projects again.

Aside from that, it's just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back