stupid sterilite!

Akaron Tarik

Jr Hunter
ok so i'm trying to make some trash can armor using AFettFullOfDollars' technique of using an oval sterilite wastebasket and making the armor out of it. he suggested going to wallmart, but all the walmarts near me don't have it. i looked on shopbots, but all anyone seems to make anymore are rectangular trash cans. i'm desperate for help, this is driving me crazy. does anyone know where i could get a sterilite oval trash can, or even just a regular plastic elliptical trash can?

many thanks

vor'e, ner vode

A.T.

I also saw them at Target.

Just a hint though. If you are going to make your armor, the TC is a great idea and thats what I did at first, but there is just about no glue out there that will stick to these trashcans.

They are truly the Teflon of plastic! When I was trying to make the curve parts on the knees according to WoF's templates I thought it was me messing up! Turns out it kept faling apart because the epoxy wouldn't stick to the plastic.

If you check around at some local sign making shops, for about the same money you could probably get a sheet of Sintra and heat it with a heat gun or hairdryer and get just as good of shape as the trashcan can provide, but not be furiously annoyed when it comes to making the knees and codpiece.

********POST 800********

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the tip, but i think i'm gonna stick with the trash cans. does anybody know where to find it? please don't try to disuade me...i'm set on this.

A.T.

thanks for the tip, but i think i'm gonna stick with the trash cans. does anybody know where to find it? please don't try to disuade me...i'm set on this.

A.T.

A.T.,

While I'm sure you have your reasons for sticking to trash cans, drokkul, speaking from experience was helping you out by pre empting you on what to expect/or not expect from trash can armor. I don't think he was pulling a mind trick on ya. :facepalm

Anyhow, good luck on the search and the build.

Stay safe,

Tim.

A.T.,

While I'm sure you have your reasons for sticking to trash cans, drokkul, speaking from experience was helping you out by pre empting you on what to expect/or not expect from trash can armor. I don't think he was pulling a mind trick on ya. :facepalm

Anyhow, good luck on the search and the build.

Stay safe,

Tim.
oh i know he was, and i appreciate his help. but i'm sticking with trash cans because, to be honest, i have no skill or time or experience in molding plastics and heating them and etc. etc. with the trash cans, i'll make what i can out of them, and then if i can't make certain parts, i'll try something new. i'm sorry, i guess i came off as if i was brushing off your advice, drokkul.

thanks for the good wishes.

A.T.

No worries. Nothing taken harshly on my end. And I know what you mean by using "different methods" when you come to something that won't work.

Just like I said in the other post the knees I made kept falling apart when tryng to make the curved parts. I was so mad!!!! Just could not understand why other people were able to do this and I wasn't. I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Finally I bought a kids oversized baseball bat. A "fungo" bat, if you will. I used that with the templates laid over them to cut out the knee armor shape.

Here's the original thread I posted if you are interested...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13264

You definitely have to get creative sometimes to get an end result!

Have you thought of using something like a soldering iron to "weld "the parts together. A heat gun would probably work for shaping as well.

I made my armor from 18 gallon sterilite containers from wal-mart. I got grey colored ones, so when I did some battle damage it would show. I used a heat gun to put the curve in. I had to use scrap sintra to make the knees. As stated earlier glue doesn't hold. Industrial strength velcro with adhesive does work well securing the armor to the vest.

You could also try looking a the local dollar store for those trash cans.

Good Luck!

or do like i did go to a local restaurant and ask then for any empty buckets like this:
DSCN0734.jpg

and that what i used for alot of my project no cost cept the fiberglass and hot glue.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back