New method for attaching collar studs

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
Well I think its new at least. Haven't seen aything on using this specific way.

These are my BM collar studs painted and ready to go...

DSC02186.jpg

But then you come to the inevitable problem. What's the best way to attach them to the collar?

Glue, bolts, tape, hopes and dreams, mucous?

Here's what I came up with...

I love the hardware drawers at Ace Hardware. They have the best selection of different stuff that I've found just about anywhere. Thats when I found these...

DSC02191.jpg

They are called aluminum binding posts. They come with the screw and run .65 each for the shorter one and .70 for the longer one. (The longer one goes through the cape)

I started out by drilling holes through the collar piece and through the backplate. (sorry no pics, but a hole is a hole, right?)

After that step I took each stud and drilled just slightly into the bottom side of each one. Just enough to accomodate the head of the binding post. Then I lined them up to the armor and put in a couple of drops of Superglue. After they were in I added more superglue and let dry overnight (so the superglue fumes would be good and gone). So this is what I had at this point...

DSC02197.jpg

The post goes through both the collar and the backplate and the screw goes up from the underside and voila instant attachment.

DSC02202.jpg

One of the best things about this for you troopers out there is that the screws on the underside of the armor are extremely thin and wouldn't even be noticed.

So lemme know what you think. Yay, nay or go away drokkul nobody likes you, your stupid ideas or the horse you rode in on!!!

Nicely done!
I did something very similar with mine. I didn't use those binding posts, but I used some small machine screws epoxied into the studs, with nuts attaching them from the inside.
It is a very secure method for attaching the collar/back pieces together. The only minor trouble I have now is when I slip the collar/back assembly over my head, it's a really tight squeeze. :)

Thanks guys!

This actually worked so well for me that I bought some more with a 1/4" shaft and plan to use those to attach the visor in the helmet!

EDIT *******LUCKY POST 777*******

hey man, i wanted to ask what will be the exact size ( dimensions) of the ones u will be using for ur t-visor?? juts curious i picked up something similar but i like the way those look alot better as far as the visor sitting more flush on them! i'd appreciate it alot! :cheers
~shawn

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back