My cardboard helmet

dung0beetle

Active Hunter
I just wanted to show my cardboard bucket.

Here it is before sanding and painting.
cardboard.gif

I was going to do more to it, like clean up the seams and edges, but I just had to get some paint on it. Here is the result:
This is the inside.
inside.gif

This is Front, Back, Left, and Right.
mycardboardfett.gif

Please excuse the bad lighting and cheap camera. I spent absolutely nothing on this helmet. The cardboard came from some old desk calendars, the hotglue was "stolen" from my mom. The filler is drywall joint compound with a bit of water added to it. The paint is stuff I had lying around. It is that Plaid brand acrylic paint that people paint birdhouses and stuff with. I used the only paintbrush I could find--the brush that comes attatched to the can of rubber cement. The details on the ears are ink pen marks. I messed up on the dent by putting it too far back and that is why there is no good picture of it. I will use a hacked-up 2liter soda bottle and some window tint for the visor. Not bad for a halloween costume, I think.

By-the-way, I was not going for an accurate paint job. So no pointing out the obvious, ok? :D

Very nice. I know you don't want people point out the obvious, but I do have a question: are you planning on adding the kill stripes or no?

Cardboard??????????
Nice job, sir
You would not happen to have taken notes on your project that you could share like oh..maybe cutting templates :)
Again great job on the result :cheers

I am sorry about the double post :(
I forgot to ask you
What age level would you say could make this?
I know of about 1500 Cub Scouts that would LOVE to make a helmet.Any suggestion and help to have this as a craft at one of my Cub Scout District events I organize though out the year.
Seriously ...imagine all those "Mandalorian" Scouts (y):):D

HMMMM..going to post a new thread
Thank you for helping me get some active ideas for the Scouts in my district.

I forgot to ask you
I know of about 1500 Cub Scouts that would LOVE to make a helmet.Any suggestion and help to have this as a craft at one of my Cub Scout District events I organize though out the year.

Do a search for helmet templates. Wizardofflight has made the templates that I used for this. He has just finished the gauntlet templates, and he has made others as well. Check it out.

As for cub scouts building these, I dont know, I have a son in scouts and he is 10. I wouldn't let him do the cutting, I don't think. If you make them a pre-cut "kit" that just needs to be assembled, I think It might work.(y)

I forgot to ask you

Do a search for helmet templates. Wizardofflight has made the templates that I used for this. He has just finished the gauntlet templates, and he has made others as well. Check it out.

As for cub scouts building these, I dont know, I have a son in scouts and he is 10. I wouldn't let him do the cutting, I don't think. If you make them a pre-cut "kit" that just needs to be assembled, I think It might work.(y)

Also, check out all the other threads about cardboard stuff, the numbers are growing daily!

I was thinking the same thing while typing my Thread.
For the younger scouts that dont need to do the cutting maybe this could encourage some of the parents and adults (leaders) to get envoled and help.A win..win.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and keep you up todate on this.

I like your soda bottle solution, very ingenious. (y)

I'm doing something similar with my visor, save that I'm using some plexi that I picked up at Home Depot. My wife picked me up some window tint film from Wally-World the other night. At 2.5, I'm hoping that it'll be dark enough... if not, I'll just have to tint both sides. ;)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back