Idea for custom mando

609th asfod

New Hunter
i was thinking (something i try not to do to often) that mandalorian armor is very colourfull with the gauntlets and jumpsuit, and that these bright colours aren't very suited to a stealth/night-time mission for the mando's
so im considering making a totally black custom mando armor, even the flightsuit would be black, matt black at that so it would be harder to see
i know a lot of people would think ''one colour for a whole set of armor hes insane itll look a bit daft, but i dont think it will, plus it saves time on painting and sourcing materials.
so let me know waht you guys think about my idea!

yeah, I was thinking about black over a gray jumpsuit, that was my original plans, his name was Ne'Tra Verd (Black/Stealthy Warrior in Mando'a)

I think everyone has had this idea at one point or another, the problems I find with it are these:

Hard to see in pics
Some blacks don't match each other (not making it uniform enough)
No weathering also makes it harder to see
There is a lack of imagination when you get started, and you may get bored of the all black idea.

I was thinking of doing Black armour with a White mandolorian Ensign on the chest plate and white around the visor and a Grey undersuit

Also what does one need to illuminate the t-visor of your helmet blue, like the republic commandos? Thanks!!!!!!!!! sorry for posting so often!!

Also what does one need to illuminate the t-visor of your helmet blue, like the republic commandos? Thanks!!!!!!!!! sorry for posting so often!!
LED's or El wire.

If you are trying to make it look like the Blackhole trooper, I really don't quite get what you are doing then, that is just shiny black ABS.

Mandos are completely different, I am finding it hard to see where you are coming from.

I know that mandos are different but I just figured that they would have a stealth detachment coloured like the black hole trooper for sensitive missions, also im finding it rather hard to decide on a paint scheme that a) works with the helmet colours I choose b) I don’t get bored of quickly or decide it just ain’t right c) I don’t have much spare time and a stealth mando suit would be the quickest to do, I also have a pal who paints cars for a hobby and can replicate the shinny blackhole armor paintjob with automotive paints

I know that mandos are different but I just figured that they would have a stealth detachment coloured like the black hole trooper for sensitive missions, also im finding it rather hard to decide on a paint scheme that a) works with the helmet colours I choose b) I don’t get bored of quickly or decide it just ain’t right c) I don’t have much spare time and a stealth mando suit would be the quickest to do, I also have a pal who paints cars for a hobby and can replicate the shinny blackhole armor paintjob with automotive paints
Well if you are stealthy I don't think you would want to be shiny.
(just my opinion)

You got me there :), just thought that the nice shinny armour was less boring than matt paint but its all still in the design process and I could choose either matt, or glossy, IMO the glossy armour helps to separate the amour pieces from the black jumpsuit and is easier on the eye, and more intimidating! Which fits the bill for mandos

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you'll find is that with gloss black armour people (not that familier with Star Wars) will refure to you as Darth Vader. My recommendation (and something I've found when I've helped other UK mando'ade to create their armour) is using a pallate of three colours. If you want the dark stealth effect then paint the armour matt-black, but have a very dark (almost charcol) grey for the flightsuit and a slightly lighter grey for the vest. These three colours could then be replicated on the helmet with the majority of it black, the upper cheeks dark grey and the lower cheeks lighter grey. Some contrast round the T-visor works wonders too.

What ever you choose I strongly recommend weathering the armour as it'll make it stand out in pictures, gives it the "real" used look and will help give it some definition that you otherwise won't get with a monotone paint scheme.

Othar layed it out pretty much for ya. A very nice gray color that offsets black is battleship gray. I used that on the keyholes of my helmet where the back is black, and it mixes perfectly.

I'd originally looked at doing a mostly black color choice for my armor. But, I decided against it. For many of the reasons the others have already said. Also, not that I don't like the concept or the concept of an all black set of armor. Just something I've seen is folks of late think "evil is cool, so black is cool". Don't get me wrong I'm all for a stealth type armor if you can pull it off. Maybe black, dark grey and a dark blue or some other color maybe? I'd say look at some of the urban warfare paint schemes for ideas. Many of them can work at night time as well.

I'm going with the three color pallate, of a dark red, black, and grey or silver. As to being stealthy, well I think color dosen't matter. I mean look at the comic books, one of the most deadly assassins and stealthy type characters wears Orange and Blue. Deathstroke is just that good. But, you do have a point about using the darker colors.

didnt walon vau wear completly matt black armour....thats sounded cool...even more bad than usual cause walon is bad...in like a really big way lol

Lots of people use black on their armor, but you have to remember that there are lots of other non-black dark colors. Navy Blue, Crimson, Dark Brown are all examples of colors that in low light would be about as dark as black.

that raises another issue, should i have a helmet with or without the rangefinder?, if i go without it gives me an excuse to wear a huge cloak like darth mauls!!! with the hood up hiding the mando armor and sniper rifle, also wasnt walon vau a bit of a sociopath, likethe monk from mean machine just in mando armor lol!

just a side note does anyone find my avatar a little overbearing?
with the whole bright flashy light stuff!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back