Bondo over Duct Tape?

Icedevil

Well-Known Hunter
So I don't really want to waste any bondo if it definitely wont work, but I'm wondering if I put some bondo over a piece of duct tape that has sintra on both ends, will is stick to the tape, or will it crumble?

I had this old scratchbuilt helmet out of sintra and duct tape and I'm thinking about adding some bondo to strengthen it and reshape it to a less warped shape.

I don't know of anybody doing this before. Maybe take some duct tape and just mix up a small blob of Bondo and see what happens.

I know you said you didn't want to waste any, but this whole costuming thing is trial and error.

I dont recommend you try it.The "bondo" has no adhesive properties with out an agressive scratch being applied first,from a 80 grit paper or grinder.It is used as a "filler" and has no fexiblity properties to it.
If you have ever noticed Duct tape has almost a slick feel to it.Duct tape is coated with a "oily" substance to help with it being used it the weather.
The "bondo" will lay down on the tape and help smooth out the tapes texture.But it wont take much for the "bondo" to come off of the duct tape,especially if it has some help from a fall or bump.
I recommend after you lay the duct tape out you scratch it up(320 grit paper will do) and clean the tape with a paint cleaner(PPG DCX320) and use a fexible apoxy product.Goto your local automotive paint store and ask for a 3M product called Automix(part number 8223).It is a thick adesive glue that has a some flexiblity to it.Its bonding properties are alot stronger than "bondo".
Again the "bondo" will work for the part you are working on great if it is something you plan on looking at on shelve all the time and not handling alot.
Help this helped.
Mike P

I've tried this before and it seems to work fine. I've always bondoed over fiberglass for bigger projects but I've done this for a quick fix a few times and it works fine.

Forcebewitya.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back