Aluminum ears........

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ALUMINUM EARRRRRRSSS!!! :love

HOMER.jpg

has anyone contacted sgt fang or marrow sun about getting the OK to do ears for their buckets?

i'm assuming that they are close enough in size that what works on one would work on the other as well.

has anyone contacted sgt fang or marrow sun about getting the OK to do ears for their buckets?

i'm assuming that they are close enough in size that what works on one would work on the other as well.

I PM'd and emailed Sarge. Here is the body of it for those interested....

Sarge,

I don't know if you've seen them or not, but psberetta on TDH has made some incredible aluminum ears for his DP Fett helmet. He has offered to make them available in different sizes, but not without the express OK from the various helmet makers.

I was wanting to PM you and see if it would be okay with you if he made ears using the necessary sizes for your mystery helmet. I've heard that he has gotten some PMs from other people that have been less than "complimentary" about the thought of making ear pieces sized for their helmets.

I think that these are awesome looking and am sure that they would be a perfect compliment to your now legendary helmet.

These are not going to be cast in any way. They are 100% machined pieces. So the recasting issue should not be an "issue" at all really. The only thing that might be an issue is that he will need to use measurements to make them so that they will fit the MH.

I know, just from his showoff thread about them, that several people would really look forward to getting ones sized for your bucket. Please PM me and I will be more than happy to forward your response to PSB and let him know your feelings on this. He has requested that if we want a certain helmet makers "go ahead" that we contact them ourselves as he has said that he will not solicit the helmet makers approval. This first set is one that he has made for himself, but he has very graciously offered to make more in various sizes, but only with approval from the helmet producers.

Thanks in advance for your answer!(y)

Absolutely, positively, YES!!! By all means, go for it! These new ears look like they came out of God's Own Prop Shop, and will make an already good helmet even better! :cheers

Drokkul, thanks for the heads up!

-Sarge

Absolutely, positively, YES!!! By all means, go for it! These new ears look like they came out of God's Own Prop Shop, and will make an already good helmet even better! :cheers

Drokkul, thanks for the heads up!

-Sarge

Woo hoo! Thanks Sarge, you've made a whole bunch of us very happy!

Tim,

I have just this to say to you...(y) WE ARE NOT WORTHY! (y)

Damm bro! When did the UFO returned you to earth? :lol:

Seriously though, awesome work!

Tim.

Ok guys, the verdict is in....

The first thing I need to get out there is the fact that these are a pain :lol:.
There will be five parts included if these things are indeed an interest to you peeps. Left ear, lower right ear, the two upper right pices and the RF stalk, all machined aluminum.

The problem is the time it takes the set-up and run them. There are thirteen different flips and flops so to speak in making a set of all five parts. That equals out to be (with run time included) 2 hours and 45 mins. a set :eek:.
You don't just load a chunk of aluminum in an machine and press a button like a monkey and walk away on these bad boys......:facepalm

It does not matter what hemet these are made for. The best price I can do on a set is $250.00 shipped. That is me breaking even after shipping. The cool part about it is I will get to work on them on the clock.

Anyway, that being said, these can and if enough people are still wanting a set, will be offered. I NEED at least TEN people to commit and I do mean COMMIT....other wise this will come out of my pocket.

Its alot of cash to plop down on a set of "ears" for a helmet, but I can tell you this, they will be the last set you will need.

Need feed back.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tim,

Well, I've got every other machined aluminum piece you've done for my ESB, so count me interested!!! (y) I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't have these too! ;)

My two cents of input would be to add counter sunk thread attachments for mounting the ears, who knows, you might even be thinking that already! Also, very cool, that your adding the aluminum stalk as part of the package, no worries over fit-ment, but could the stalk or will the stalk be hollow in order to run wires down from the range finder?

THX!!!

:cheers

My two cents of input would be to add counter sunk thread attachments for mounting the ears, who knows, you might even be thinking that already! Also, very cool, that your adding the aluminum stalk as part of the package, no worries over fit-ment, but could the stalk or will the stalk be hollow in order to run wires down from the range finder?

GBH,
The ears have threaded holes in the back already (y).
As for the RF coming already drilled...I will check to see if I can find a drill thats long enough.

THX, for the input :)

Heres some pics for you as well as a nice one of the complete right ear.

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01311.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

Beautiful Work!!! :eek:

What about adding three attachment points to the Left Ear - Top, Mid, Bottom. That top portion of that ear cap many times wants to pop away from the flat of the helmet, might just be a better control of drawing it in closer, at least that's what I did with my BKBT Jango helmet and MS 1 Boba helmet. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one more thing...

Obviously on the top portion of the Right Ear Cap with the notch for stalk being in the center, the attachment point can't be moved, but could the one on the bottom portion be centered? That way there would be an even amount of tention being placed on at least a portion of that piece, otherwise as you tighten it, the front edge might want to lift away from the helmet. :facepalm

Ok, I'm done now! :lol:

_RIGHT-EAR-CAP.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back