Mando Belt...

I just attended a warbird airshow on the 4th, and there was a display of WWII items. I saw this German uniform...the BELT. I thought that belt would be a great addition to a Mando costume! I know it wouldn't work for a Boba or Jango, but I thought it was cool.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=IMG02501.jpg

The guys with the display have a museum/store of military memorablilia. Don't know if they have the belts or not.

OT--well, these are boots I already have and thought they might work for a costume too:

starwars79

starwars79

These are my everyday boots--I wear them often. $20 at Wal-Mart. They have a zipper side so one doesn't have to lace them up everytime ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OT--well, these are boots I already have and thought they might work for a costume too:

starwars79

starwars79

These are my everyday boots--I wear them often. $20 at Wal-Mart. They have a zipper side so one doesn't have to lace them up everytime ;)
For your costume, I would cover up the laces if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
They weren't in SW, and if they were, they weren't there for very long.
If you have laces, they look like they are from Earth, and not from SW.

I have to agree there, they just look so out of place in the star wars universe. It just seems very primitive and out of date when you compare it to Velcro, mag seals and slip on military boots the SW universe is so fond of.

"come on man, they just dropped a huge artie shell outside, we have to leave now or else we will be the next crater!"

"i cant man, my laces just got stuck in my rifle and i accidentally tied them together..."

you can see the end result not being pretty.:p

It really boils down to personal preference in the end. I've seen customs with laces and they look fine to me, and some with slip on boots that look aweful and vice versa. I use a pair up zip-ups myself just because the strap on them is perfect for my boot armor.

It really boils down to personal preference in the end. I've seen customs with laces and they look fine to me, and some with slip on boots that look aweful and vice versa. I use a pair up zip-ups myself just because the strap on them is perfect for my boot armor.
I have only seen one custom with laces that looked good.
Some slip on boots look awful, yes, but I don't like seeing military boots, on Star Wars characters, WHy?
Because Laces ruin the effect.
It is personal reference, but keep in mind that laces do not look right in the SW universe (yeah, I guess I am mentioning my "perfect" SW Universe again, MY opinion, NOT Your's)

I just attended a warbird airshow on the 4th, and there was a display of WWII items. I saw this German uniform...the BELT. I thought that belt would be a great addition to a Mando costume! I know it wouldn't work for a Boba or Jango, but I thought it was cool.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=IMG02501.jpg

The guys with the display have a museum/store of military memorablilia. Don't know if they have the belts or not.
Do you have any armor ideas yet?
The belt should be fine.

As far as actual lacing goes, it has it's uses, but personally i just don't like them on boots. I'm sure though if the person is creative enough, they can be included. :)By all means try them, see how they look, and if you don't like it, try something else.

I do have another suggestion for you as far as leg armour goes. Have you ever considered tried using leggings? otherwise known as "gaters"? many civil war troops used them to protect their lower legs, they are simply a wide strip of leather (usually) that wraps around your leg, and secures either side by means of leather thong and buckles. Comes up to just under your knee. Hunt around for them, there should be alot of different types. Let us know how you go with this one, and also on any armour project updates!

As far as actual lacing goes, it has it's uses, but personally i just don't like them on boots. I'm sure though if the person is creative enough, they can be included. :)By all means try them, see how they look, and if you don't like it, try something else.

I do have another suggestion for you as far as leg armour goes. Have you ever considered tried using leggings? otherwise known as "gaters"? many civil war troops used them to protect their lower legs, they are simply a wide strip of leather (usually) that wraps around your leg, and secures either side by means of leather thong and buckles. Comes up to just under your knee. Hunt around for them, there should be alot of different types. Let us know how you go with this one, and also on any armour project updates!

Hmmm...I have not heard of them, but sounds like a cool idea.
I was thinking as I read that--I might do a hunt in my family first: mom and dad were both Army, dad's dad was Army, mom's dad was Air Force and my aunt was Navy. It's been years since any of them have been in, but I might see if anyone still has anything around that would be useful ;) I know both of my grandfather's served during WW2, so maybe just maybe I might find some items. That, and there's also a military surplus/paintball shop in a nearby town I've been to a few times. I looked at pouches/belts the last time I was there.

I agree about the laces. I would try to find something to cover them up. But the zippers too-- might be better off using other boots lol

Thanks for the responses guys!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back