Mac or Pc?

I'm an Apple Certified technician, and have worked in the field of Mac support for over seven years. I've supported Windows for some of my employers, and from a 'PITA' standpoint, working on Wintel PCs really is a PITA.

My argument for Macs has been the same since 1998, and I'm happy to see that Apple has moved in that direction ever since. UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING.

We're in an age where computers are everywhere and they are in everything. Using them has become commonplace, much like every other appliance in our homes such as microwaves or refrigerators. When I buy a refrigerator, I don't care HOW it works, so long as it does what it's supposed to do reliably. Why then, must our personal computers be any different?? We use them FAR more and for increasingly more important things such as our memories in digital pictures, our music and home movies. If your microwave kept throwing up cryptic error messages and being a general pain, would you continue to use it?? If it did these things the first week out of the box, would you not take it back?? Why then, do people continue to put up with that kind of **** using Windows? Why must you spend your valuable time to 'keep up' on all the latest Windows vulnerabilities, be mindful of spyware, malware, trojans and viruses? I don't know about you, but I have better things to do with my time.

Which leads us to the Mac. The closest thing we have today to a ubiquitous computing appliance that simply works. Old and tired arguments like price and compatibility are ancient history. When all new Macs can run Windows or Windows apps exactly like their PC counterparts, there is no reason to buy a cheap PC, that is of course, you like dealing with Windows and frustration.

I honestly can't see any practical reason to buy or use a PC with Windows. There is no software out there that specifically requires generic PC hardware with Windows running on it. Gaming is an old argument... if you're a die-hard gamer, sure, buy a PC, but $3000 vs. $300 for a gaming console? And did I mention you can run Windows on a Mac?

Well, I typed much more than I intended to, but it's a subject I have debated passionately every day for the last ten years or more when I got my first Mac in 1994.

Very well said, Mike. Up until about 5 years ago, I would have argue with you pretty heatedly, but the LEAPS I have seen Macs take in the past few years has been nothing short of incredible in my book while the PC/Microsoft world really hasn't done much at all... It is getting harder and harder to support Windows when the only thing they really change is a bit of the look and feel to the frontend...

I'm an Apple Certified technician, and have worked in the field of Mac support for over seven years. I've supported Windows for some of my employers, and from a 'PITA' standpoint, working on Wintel PCs really is a PITA.

My argument for Macs has been the same since 1998, and I'm happy to see that Apple has moved in that direction ever since. UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING.

We're in an age where computers are everywhere and they are in everything. Using them has become commonplace, much like every other appliance in our homes such as microwaves or refrigerators. When I buy a refrigerator, I don't care HOW it works, so long as it does what it's supposed to do reliably. Why then, must our personal computers be any different?? We use them FAR more and for increasingly more important things such as our memories in digital pictures, our music and home movies. If your microwave kept throwing up cryptic error messages and being a general pain, would you continue to use it?? If it did these things the first week out of the box, would you not take it back?? Why then, do people continue to put up with that kind of **** using Windows? Why must you spend your valuable time to 'keep up' on all the latest Windows vulnerabilities, be mindful of spyware, malware, trojans and viruses? I don't know about you, but I have better things to do with my time.

Which leads us to the Mac. The closest thing we have today to a ubiquitous computing appliance that simply works. Old and tired arguments like price and compatibility are ancient history. When all new Macs can run Windows or Windows apps exactly like their PC counterparts, there is no reason to buy a cheap PC, that is of course, you like dealing with Windows and frustration.

I honestly can't see any practical reason to buy or use a PC with Windows. There is no software out there that specifically requires generic PC hardware with Windows running on it. Gaming is an old argument... if you're a die-hard gamer, sure, buy a PC, but $3000 vs. $300 for a gaming console? And did I mention you can run Windows on a Mac?

Well, I typed much more than I intended to, but it's a subject I have debated passionately every day for the last ten years or more when I got my first Mac in 1994.

My computer desk at home has a Mac G4 and my own built PC. I use the PC more for gaming, browsing, ect. Mac is used for music, photo, video, and other media. My wife is into photography so she uses the Mac more for that.

I used a Mac for years while in school for graphic design and studio production... the instructor was a HUGE Mac fan... I never really liked Macs (heck, I even had one back in the Apple Macintosh days with the mono-tone green screens) however, I still remain more a PC gal...

I can see both sides. I love that the Mac is running BSD, but still has mostly closed hardware that I hate. All of my clients are running Windows XP and 2k3, so I need to keep up. My home and work desktops run Linux.

i should have also put a bit of info as to why i use macs.

i'm a unix sysadmin. i work with unix servers pretty much exclusively in the professional world.

i used to run freebsd and linux at home on all my machines.

when mac os x came out, i had a unix variant that could do all of the shell stuff i loved, but also run a pretty solid assortment of commercial apps.

i have my standard development environment running easily on my laptop... bash, sed, awk and the like, apache, perl, php, mysql, imagemagick, etc... but i also have photoshop and illustrator right there. the gimp may be a great free tool, but it's no photoshop.

much of that is already there when you pull the computer out of the box.

the same can be achieved with windows using cygwin, but it's a pain in the butt, and the chances of downloading a random source tarball and getting it to built is much lower.

so basically, the mac comes out of the box much closer to ready to use, and is easier for me to maintain.

i'm not much of a gamer, so the lower selection of games doesn't matter to me. that's what i have an xbox 360 for.

Mac = Professional Media Field
PC = Household computing/office slave work
Consoles = Games. Quit spending $1000's for a system that can play games when you can spend the same for a system, a few games, and a sweet HDTV.

Oh and this thread is a bad idea ha ha.

Consoles = Games. Quit spending $1000's for a system that can play games when you can spend the same for a system, a few games, and a sweet HDTV.

Eh, the games I normally play they don't make for consoles. Besides...after the original PS consoles went to ****, so I don't waste my time. With my PC, I can play a game, control my entertainment system (at the same time), browse the internet (in the background), catch up on work, write an email, blah blah blah. Consoles are getting more and more expensive with every release, one day we may even see them at the same price as a PC or Mac...then whats the point of buying the console? lol

Being the senior PC tech here at the company I work for, I can see where Macs have improved alot over the last few years. I still think they lack severely in the hardware customization category, and that's honestly my biggest turnoff to them.

Mac for Music programming, Image editing etc, PC for games, net. Best of both worlds!
Agreed. Only, I'm too cheap to keep a PC up to date, and I'm a console-RPG kind of guy, so I'm content with my Mac and Xbox 360/Wii.

Paying twice as much for a Mac laptop as for a PC laptop because my (then) current work environment was Mac-only was a mistake. Using it for music is the only thing I like about it more than a PC (and that's just because I'm too cheap to buy Pro Tools, Reason, Live, etc.). Unfortunately, most of my work is all command line or web-based these days, so having a Mac is mostly a waste of money.

Then again, if I ever get back to Fan Filming, because I don't have a lot of money to spend on video software, I will likely be using iMovie and some plugins.

Mac for media applications, but (I think) it's a waste of money for just about everyone else.

Oh, and the Mac vs. PC commercials make me regret owning a Mac. Straw man attacks as part of a smear campaign is about the lowest "argument" one can try to make.

im a PC guy myself

dont really like the one button style of the macs...but i definitly agree that macs are for the media type and PCs are for the gamers/everything elsers
<--gamer .... so PC gets my vote

besides, i can still can make lego stop motion videos using windows media maker...so who needs a mac :)

No it isn't.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back