Finally decided and started my beskar'gam.

As some of you know, as I've been posting over the weeks, I've been planning a neo-crusader beskar'gam. Well, finally I've decided what kind I'm going for and started it.

The design I'm going for is from the KOTOR comics, the flashpoint arc.

Here's a pic:

447910587_ee0a11d7f9_o.jpg

The one on the left of Rohlan (My avatar) is the one, but with minor changes. Sarim Thiri is supposed to hold the rank of Ruus'alor (sergeant) so the blues are red, and the jumpsuit is a bit lighter.

-

Some may say it ain't a neo, but even if it isn't from the games it sure is. The Mandos aren't like every other military, they're nomads and warriors. Also note that the Mandos from the games are in the era after the Mandalore war, and their armours were destroyed at the end of the war. So they could have made new armours in the meantime (KOTOR II mandos had new armours, you can see no damage on those)

-

I've started sewing the jumpsuit, and once finished I'll be uploading pics, makes no sense uploading until finished.

I got some sintra (thanks mobius) too, but as I'm a complete newb to the use of it, I'm still experimenting.

I've also bidded in a bucket to modify on ebay, and have been the high bidder since it started.

-

Update: I won the auction, and the helmet is on the way to me. Should take 2-3 weeks.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good luck!

When I first read that comic, I stopped on every single point this guy came in. I just loved the way this guy was designed, and now its my favorite design of the neos.

I agree Zannah, the mouth thingy - rebreather perhaps - looks sweet, but my favorite part is the poncho, remember the man with no name in the spaghetti westerns? ;)

Well, the plates are sawed out.

I need pointers though. How long should 5mm sintra be boiled for long? And another thing, the chest plate is too big to fit in the pot, is there another way to do it?

Thanks.

You can put it in the oven.

Heat your oven to 350 and put the sintra in for about 1 min 15 secs. May need to be a tad longer for 5mm.

It will be very soft and bendable, but hot has heck...so wear some mits.

(wow I can't spell)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can put it in the over.

Heat your over to 350 and put the sintra in for about 1 min 15 secs. May need to be a tad longer for 5mm.

It will be very soft and bendable, but hot has heck...so wear some mits.
Just different parts of the chest armor in the pot at different times.

If you put it in the oven, the fumes could build up, and you run a risk of starting a fire.

Oh god no, NEVER put sintra in an oven.

1. The Fumes are EXTREMELY POISONOUS. Chlorine Gas.
2. You're in an exclosed area, your kitchen.
3. The sintra is in the enclosed oven, the gas fumes will build up and might start fire.

If you EVER need to form Sintra. I recommend boilding water. Even a heat gun will release toxic fumes from the sintra. When I laser cut Sintra, we have the laser closed and the gas vacuumed outside, even the small amounts of gas that seep through can get you physically sick.

If you leave it in there unattended for more then a min then yeah...I agree. I've formed quite a few pieces of sintra armor in the oven. I put it on a raised surface and watch for the edges to bend slightly then take it out. Never had a problem with that and it's always turned out nice.

Yes, boiling water is preferable...but some pieces you can't boil such as the back plate. Like I said, I've done probably a dozen or more pieces like this and never had a problem, you just can't walk away...watch it.

No no no, I'm serious, this is your health and I don't want to have to hear anything bad happen to anyone on the forums.

Buy a heatgun, they are like $25. The heat is confined and you can do it in a well ventalated area.

I got a heatgun, but I read one side could bend on itself. Might be false, I don't know. And I'll use a resperator ;)

Oh and clayster, the chest is one part - it's different than the modern Mando.

Thanks for the advices guys!

Sintra doesn't off gas alltogther that much. I've now been involved with heating and bending four sets of armor with a heat gun, and until you see discoloration of the surface there is no apparent offgassing. The good thing, if you can call it that, is that the fumes put off by either left over vinyl chloride monomer or by the breakdown of the polymer into chlorine gas are very pungent - a little will be noticeable.

The necessary surface temp to bend the stuff is anything above about 150F. If you were patient enough, you could set your oven to 'warm' which is usually 180F, or even just to 225F, and in all likelihood you wouldn't be at any more risk than the boiling water method.

I do agree though that the heat gun is the best option, because you can take it to a well ventilated place. Boiling water scares me, because it can spill and will burn very large areas of your body very easily.

Care must be taken no matter what method is used.

-Brian

Still don't set it in your oven, this is your house, gas will spew into your kitchen. Just don't do it, it's not safe. I laser cut the stuff, if you were to expose it to dry heat, nothing good can come from it.

Boiling water.

Heat gun (In a well ventalated area.)

I second not putting sitra in your oven, even when I boil mine, I open all my windows and turn a box fan to wear it sucks the out the window, I also turn my fixed fan on the ceiling on. Avoid the fumes, and please, do not heat sintra in the oven.:rolleyes

Guess I won't be hitting the oven anymore either. Like I said, I've never had any problems doing it...and seen quite a few posts from others who form that way. So yeah, scratch the oven plan =D

Yeah, oven might not be the best idea. I've always done it with boiling water, but I've never gone all out and opened up windows and put in a fan. Maybe it's just me, but I've delt with heating and re-heating sintra for an hour and a half straight and all I've ever got was slightly dizzy, never physically sick. Maybe that's not very long to what others have delt with it though. But I guess it's different for everyone, so it's best to play it safe.

Live to costume another day I always say. :lol:

Live to costume another day I always say.

Well said MandoMan. I've used the boiling scheme on the lower torso armour, works well. (y)

Edit: Can anyone recommend any boots to use? I've searched for a while, never found any except old east-german officer boots - which are a bit costly for a costume like this, as I need to repaint them.

Did you want something like the officer boots? If so, you could get a comfortable base shoe, and use the biker scout tutorial and make a pair of tall boots out of any color vinyl you can find. I've been wanting to try this also for my custom, and my GM.

If you don't know the tutorial I can try to find it for you.

Well said MandoMan. I've used the boiling scheme on the lower torso armour, works well. (y)

Edit: Can anyone recommend any boots to use? I've searched for a while, never found any except old east-german officer boots - which are a bit costly for a costume like this, as I need to repaint them.
How high do you need these boots?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back