My Purple Bounty Hunter for the Price Conscious (Budget Zam Thread)

basacally with Jamies we sewed the saddle section into two halves first....then sewed the two halves together...after that I put it up to Jamie and pinned it where it should go...when i slid it off her leg, I then simply used a straight edge to "connect the dots" a tad inside the pins...the sewed the straight stitch on the inside of the leg...repeated for other leg...sewed the two together...then made a quick crotch adjustment so it fit her right and wallah...all done...

it is important to make sure the saddle seams match up inside the thigh and to use the stitch that looks like this " !Z! " that will keep everything tight and make your seams look right when the fabric stretches

I'm going to make a pattern off a pair of casual pants that I have and like the fit of...then add the saddle part to it.

Zig-Zag stitch... :)

Good idea, i've done that before but usually just for PJ and lounge pants (i guess that's essentially what Zam's are). I think i'm going to look around the house for a pattern I might have lying around. I keep looking at the pictures and it seems to me that the saddle part is actually apliqued on the front (sewing over the hem of the saddle section) tacked down through the crouch seam? That would make it 2 layers of neoprene? Is that right?

I have 1 more week before classes/work start back and I'm determined to finish Zam or at least come close. Pants are almost done, crop top done, skirt only 7 more rows, vest needs fasterners, cumberbun done and helmet needs brim. So I have to finish that and scuplt greebles and lower armor. AGGGGGHH!!

I have turned my parent's living room into a Zam sweat shop (they have extra room and power tools!) They are about to disown me over Zam. See picture:
iEAB0FEC9-0DCC-4F70-8772-593F89A36479.jpg

Trust me I know where everything is! :)

C'mon Cressie! You can get it finished! We believe in you! (y)

That top looks great... and the 1/2 skirt looks terrific too... hard to pick out anything else though! ;) Your parents must have the patience of saints though... :)

Can't wait to see the whole project completed... and maybe a pic of the living room cleaned up! ;)

all i can say is...WOW!!!!

this stuff is looking great for zam on a budget you win the prize...a girl after my own heart...less money doesnt always mean a bad costume! great work so far!!!

I made the gauntlets out of layers of craft foam. It was suprizingly easy to press out detail. For durability i'm backing each one with a thin coat of bondo. They are resting on spray paint cans! :)
i9B9D357F-5B58-49D4-B599-CBF98BFC9F8D.jpg

I also scuplted each greeble by hand- fun fun!
i9523AFF9-2EA6-4165-BFFC-D0ED8A69901E.jpg

Now the paint! :)

What book is that laying in the middle of the living room floor?

Thanks,
Michael

I have 1 more week before classes/work start back and I'm determined to finish Zam or at least come close. Pants are almost done, crop top done, skirt only 7 more rows, vest needs fasterners, cumberbun done and helmet needs brim. So I have to finish that and scuplt greebles and lower armor. AGGGGGHH!!

I have turned my parent's living room into a Zam sweat shop (they have extra room and power tools!) They are about to disown me over Zam. See picture:
iEAB0FEC9-0DCC-4F70-8772-593F89A36479.jpg

Trust me I know where everything is! :)

Yup, it's Dressing A Galaxy. It's the SW costumer's bible. A very handy reference. I got it from Amazon for about $30 bucks. It's a must have!

i beleive it does have that gown in it...to what extent im not really sure..havnt look at that...been in the zam page since i bought it:lol:

Well I ordered the book. Thanks Cressie and JD. I just recently started on the Amidala red throne room costume, so that's why I was asking if that costume was in the book. Every little bit of info helps.

Michael

Yippee!!!! So, every part is finished! I just need to put it all together!!! And just alittle over budget. My helmet is kinda wacky, but it was my first attempt and i'm ok with it. This next week i'll be testing it to make sure nothing falls off during D-con! :) I just picked up some purple duct tape at Walmart. I'm so ready!

I have to hand it to you Zammers, all the work that you do and all the equipment that is involved. Your doing some superb work so far Cressie!

Dragon-Con was wonderful as usual! It was great meeting all of the Zammer's on TDH! I learned so much about other techniques and it has fueled my desire to upgrade! :) I also got to meet some of the original Zam's, ZamIam, Holly and MaulMaus. Just a great time period!

My costume is done, but in need of repair after Dcon. It took a beating in the parade on Saturday (toe guards and hoses mainly).

I was a little over my original budget (because the neoprene was about $100), but in total my Zam was approx. $250. Not bad for a Budget Zam in 8 months.
Here is one picture, more to come later:
cressie_dcon07_01.jpg

I am very satisfied with my gun, which cost about 2 bucks. It's a toy watergun that resembled the barrel of Zam's gun with a plastic claranet attached to the end and painted with buff n' rub and black kylon spray paint. :zam

The gauntlets were made using craft foam, glue and buff n' rub and the greebles were bend and flex Scupley backed w/ Sintra. Now the upgrading begins.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back