Scratchbuilding tools

dung0beetle

Active Hunter
With the flood of scratchbuilt costumes being seen on this forum, I would like to see what some of you use to cut, glue, fill, sand, etc. This could be an informative tool to some of us new to propmaking.

I use a razorknife
KnifeThumbnail.jpg
to cut pretty much everything, Quik Steel
qs1.jpeg.7.jpg
and Quik Plastic as filler, and to strengthen weak joints. Super glue(mostly for gluing me back together after I cut myself), hot glue, and Tenax-7r
76074.jpg
to glue plastics. (The hot glue is just to "tack" in place). The Tenax-7r is like model cement, but it doesnt melt the plastic as much, and it creates a weld-like bond.(open the windows for this stuff). It is hard to find, so look in hobby shops and online for it.
I use a sponge sanding block
P_RotaCotaSandingBlocks.jpg
to sand everything. I like these, because the pressure you use is equal to the amount of stuff you want to clear away. It is like having an assortment of sandpaper on one block. I use Fimo polymer clay to sculpt small stuff that is too detailed (or dangerous to my fingers) to cut into shape.

I hope this is of some use to someone out there. Let me know what you are using.

There is no "best method." There is only the best method for you.

I haven't used the QuikSteel brand epoxy putty, but something similar.
That's great stuff!!
And I should buy stock in some super glue companies. I probably go through 20 or 30 tubes of super glue a year on various projects.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back