Su cuy'gar (Greetings :) )

Greets. I've been looking through your boards for a couple of weeks, and I like what I've seen here. I myself am a great Mandalorian fan (since '97 to be precise) and looking to make myself a custom armour for my character (Fanfic of course), Sarim Thiri.

Oh, and I'm really into the Mandalorian society - but at a healthy level

Thiri is a Mandalorian Neo-crusader, and as such I'm looking to make a neo-crusader variant - more like the ones seen in the flashpoint comics than the games, the games only have 2 designs and the comics have endless ideas to use. He's a light-infantry/scout, so a lighter version will do.

Currently, I'm designing the overall look of the armour in detail, then I'm off to see if I can find plastic somewhere (I'm in Iceland, hard to find) and start it.

--

I hope I'm welcome to post here and such, and if not, I can't say I didn't try

Re'turcye mhi ner vode! (Next time, brothers)

welcome, sarim, good luck on your custom, ill be looking forward to your progress!

dont let people tell you that neo-crusader is impossible ;)

Thanks a lot! Still drawing/looking at the books - developing the look. Sketches will be put up when done ;)

Hehe, of course I will not fret - it's fun to attempt something that's not as widespread as the modern.

Crusader armour is, in fact, easier in most parts to undertake than the modern. Reason: It's look is more ancient, and less detailed than the latter. The helmets range from simple masks to near-buckets in all shapes and sizes. The hardest part is starting those, as they've not (to my knowledge) been made before.

But the standard infantry helmet, seen in the games, is of course nearly impossible to use in a good way as it hinders motion and would lock you in an uncomfortable area, unless modifications are made to allow breathing and motion - maybe brake the neck part in elements? Or use leather substance?

And to those who want to make one (I'm not a master armourer, you all are), don't be afraid to explore different elements of the armour. Recommended to look at: Knights of the old republic: Volume 2: Flashpoint (I think I counted over 20 different styles, including 2 females of the neo-crusaders), Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War, KOTOR 1/2.

Just observe the styles. Different species needs different armour, genders have their needs as well.

Hehe, guess you already know all of this, but might help some at least.

Welcome to TDH! A Neo Crusader is definitely something that can be built. You already have the hard task underway: making the neck work. The armor has always reminded me of some sort of ancient space suit =D

My advice also is to get some good pics of Crusader armor from Star Wars Galaxies. I say look there because you can get a total body view of the armor as well as different poses.

Nothing is impossiable, and I'll be waiting for you to prove any nay-sayer wrong!

There are a lot of options in the neo-crusader realm. I also look forward to seeing any progress you post. I would jump into one of these but am already overwhelmed with other projects as is. As I suggested to someone else earlier who was walking about doing this costume, think heavily about different materials to make this work. Also remember that these are going to be based on a low count polygon model with only moderately detailed skins, there will be lots of room for interpretation. Good luck and happy building.

If you want to base it on the SWG version I suggest looking at some of the sites dedicated to the SWGEmu, you will find some of the free/demo/trial software invaluable for extracting and viewing the neocrusader armors. You might wish to extract the files from the .tre and use ultimate unwrap to view them in a controlled manner. Save yourself some major time from having to hunt that stuff down in the game. Try http://swgemods.com/ for example, a modders site for SWG and SWGEmu. The site admin and others on that board are very helpful.

-x

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you guys!

I drew quick sketches of my brainchild, I usually just draw one element at a time (helmet, chest, right bicep...) and later make the overall sketch.

Oh, and I'm not making the standard infantry armour. I'm making a neo-crusader based on those seen in the invasion of vanquo in the comics (The shock troops)... and some elements are based on Mandalore from KOTOR2, the standard warrior from the games - I use the standard bicep design, and gauntlets along with the plates on the legs. If you have flashpoint (the second story arc), take a good look at the invaders of vanquo and the ones based inside the flashpoint station itself. Then you know what I'm talking about.

Here are the sketches (Sorry, my scanner broke down a week ago. Had to use the camera):

Skyssa1-hjalm.gif

The helmet is, as seen, based on Rohlan's visor, Mandalore's back part and also Demagol. I'm not sure what colours will be used, but I think blue (as he's supposed to be verd'ika *private* and some personal customizations, as allowed in the culture and clan emblem). Helmet will be made last of all the parts.

Sketch1fullcrap.gif

I got old german army surplus gloves, in this nice grey colour. I'll be using it with the armour. Then I got, I think russian, boots - high boots - that I'll be including.

Oh, and also take notice that I'm still finding the plastic retailer (If I knew where to search that is) for PVC, as I have absolutely no idea how to make molds and cast. I'm going to a store tomorrow to find fabric material for the jumpsuit and vest (aye, vest). The jumpsuit will most likely be black or dark grey.

Thanks again, and hope you are not disappointed by this variant 8)

They have pretty much have the exact same kind of mandalorian shock trooper armor your pic has in SWG also (It's the rebellions version of crusader armor.).

That may be helpful in getting the design your looking for.

Oh, and also take notice that I'm still finding the plastic retailer (If I knew where to search that is) for PVC, as I have absolutely no idea how to make molds and cast. I'm going to a store tomorrow to find fabric material for the jumpsuit and vest (aye, vest). The jumpsuit will most likely be black or dark grey.

Thanks again, and hope you are not disappointed by this variant 8)

Do I read you right? Are you planning to vaccuform? If so I would highly suggest going with styrene or ABS instead of PVC. If you are just going to cut and glue along the same lines as the WoF templates then PVC, Specifically Sintra is the better way to go. PVC degrades when subjected to the heat levels needed for vac-forming. I suggest researching materials on this forum. As far as molding and casting, there are some pretty good examples if you search some of the older threads. In any case great costume idea, looking forward to seeing it come to life.

-x

Man, TDH fever is even in Iceland! *insert ice melting joke here*

unless modifications are made to allow breathing and motion

I wouldnt be as concered about motion as I would be breathing, your not going to get ALOT of motion in any costume, but breathing, breathing is gonna be mandatory. :lol:

Vor entye all. And no, I'm not doing vaccuform eighteendelta, as I have no idea how to do that hehe. Unless, I find out how to do so... I'll reasearch that for a while. I might buy plastic plates, and bend/form out of them. I've had some training in metalwork, but there's no way this armour will be done out of metal - metal is too expensive and hard to work with.

PVC, I hear, is very easy to bend (correct if wrong). Sintra isn't available here, but as it is essentially PVC it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Aye Jodo, breathing in my Darth Vader helmet (It's the new version you buy, I didn't make it) is trouble after 5 minutes, and I always get kind of claustophobic when I've been in it for 20 minutes. I want to avoid that with this one.

By the way, how does this idea sound - the tubes, connected to a backpack. Inside the backpack, there are some computer-type airvents, leading through the tubes and into the helmet, cooling it. Been thinking about this, anyone tried/seen it?

Progress pics of the softies will be posted soon.

---

Man, TDH fever is even in Iceland! *Watch out it doesn't get too hot in there* - there's a small, 1-2 man 501st outpost here also, lol ;)

Greets. I've been looking through your boards for a couple of weeks, and I like what I've seen here. I myself am a great Mandalorian fan (since '97 to be precise) and looking to make myself a custom armour for my character (Fanfic of course), Sarim Thiri.

Oh, and I'm really into the Mandalorian society - but at a healthy level

Thiri is a Mandalorian Neo-crusader, and as such I'm looking to make a neo-crusader variant - more like the ones seen in the flashpoint comics than the games, the games only have 2 designs and the comics have endless ideas to use. He's a light-infantry/scout, so a lighter version will do.

Currently, I'm designing the overall look of the armour in detail, then I'm off to see if I can find plastic somewhere (I'm in Iceland, hard to find) and start it.

--

I hope I'm welcome to post here and such, and if not, I can't say I didn't try

Re'turcye mhi ner vode! (Next time, brothers)
Good luck on the armor project!

Aye Jodo, breathing in my Darth Vader helmet (It's the new version you buy, I didn't make it) is trouble after 5 minutes, and I always get kind of claustophobic when I've been in it for 20 minutes. I want to avoid that with this one.

Its gonna be realy hard then if you go to a con.,etc. then....Have you ever thought of using that netting stuff that you see on evry Halloween mask then in some areas of the helmet? The pics. are a bit fuzzy, so I cant realy tell all the absolutes about the design, but if you where realy concerned about breathing, I think I'd recommend looking into it or something.

I personaly dont find it that hard to breath in my Mando, but as all my friends can tell you, I breath preety deep because of all the talking I do.:lol:

Hehe, I think the Mando helmet is easier to breathe in because it's open in the bottom. The vader helm is relitively closed, thus making it harder to breathe in.

I tested a Jango helmet at the Episode 3 launch here, it was very comfortable, not hard to breathe in at all. Think it mostly depends on how closed the thing is, and how you design it that counts in the end. That's why more personal are more comfortable, because you make it to your needs :D

I'm currently sitting here by the compy, with reference and a cup o' coffee, and drawing the lines for a better picture. I'm getting the scanner tomorrow so I'm uploading by that time.

Oh by the ways, what materials do you recommend for beginners vaccuforming? I'm a complete noob to that, but fascinated by the idea of it.

And thanks for the tip! I'll look into the "netting" ;)

Thanks!

Hehe, I think the Mando helmet is easier to breathe in because it's open in the bottom. The vader helm is relitively closed, thus making it harder to breathe in.

I tested a Jango helmet at the Episode 3 launch here, it was very comfortable, not hard to breathe in at all. Think it mostly depends on how closed the thing is, and how you design it that counts in the end. That's why more personal are more comfortable, because you make it to your needs :D

I'm currently sitting here by the compy, with reference and a cup o' coffee, and drawing the lines for a better picture. I'm getting the scanner tomorrow so I'm uploading by that time.

Oh by the ways, what materials do you recommend for beginners vaccuforming? I'm a complete noob to that, but fascinated by the idea of it.

And thanks for the tip! I'll look into the "netting" ;)

Thanks!
My recommendation

1. Styrene or one of the suitable variants such as HIPS (High Impact Poly Styrene)

2 ABS

-x

Oh yeah, sorry, I had a brain-fart, I forgot the Vader helmet was closed in at the bottom.:rolleyes But actualy, Mando helmets proboly are supposed to be inclosed at the bottom. The Jango Fett one was I beleive, with leather-esq peices to form like a "seal" so you couldnt look up into it.

P.S. - Lookin' foreward to the new drawings. (y)

Thank you eighteendelta!

Some of the neo-crusader helmets from the comics are also closed at the bottom, as seen in these images.

Zaynedisguiseremove.jpg

Demagol's armour.

RohlanDyre.jpg

Rohlan Dyre's.

I think the logic behind that is when they are using the basilisk war mounts, as they are open combat mounts. Jango himself did fly his jet pack in space in open seasons #4, when he fired upone the Death Watch.

I'll be making a head/neck seal for this one, and already measuring and seeing how it might play out in the end.

IMG_0051.gif
IMG_0050.gif

Quick measuring for the head/neck seal. The final will be sewed using rather thick, black fabric and then ruffled like seen on the SWG rebel crusader armour. Will be hot, but it never gets too hot here either :cheers

-

Change of priority rule: Carbine first, Pistol second, softies third, body plates fourth and helmet last. I got a whole lot of junk that can be used in the weapons developement, so it's very sweet - also to warm up for the armour

That reminds me of the Vader Reveal neck seal/electronic neck thingy.

Doesnt look too hard, maybe get a TK neck seal, and form some sintra and styrene to get what you want?

Who knows how that would look though...

Oh sorry, you misunderstand. I forgot to quote from jodo.

I'm just doing a head/neck seal as I demonstrated above, this vader style seal looks too locked off and uncomfortable

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back