Ordo Te'skotah's Armor

Applied secondary coat:

ChestSecondaryPaint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for another update... I broke my saw, and had to go get another one :facepalm

I decided to do something a bit different for my collar, since it will be attached to a gorget and I need it to be more flexible for fighting:

169.jpg

And continuing with my color scheme:

168.jpg

"The really tricky part is going to be finding an SCA combat-grade helm that looks even vaguely Mandalorian... *maybe* a barbuta. I'd *really* like to have one custom made for SCA combat, and then have my regular metal "costume" bucket (once I get it made) for trooping purposes, but a custom SCA helm is lots of $$$. It would have to have a 14 guage steel top, and 16-14 guage steel cheeks and back, a bar-grille across the wide part of the T visor, etc. But it would be wicked once it was done."

blah-2.gif

something like this? (quick photoshop of an sca helm)

I had a similar idea, but in leather. I don't have pics of the finished product, but here's my sketch...
blah.gif

you seem to be competent in shaping steel, why don't you give it a try? for the dome, you just need a "dishing stump" and for the rivets, roofing nails cut to size, and small washers. Just mushroom the cut end of the nail against the washer. you can find armormaking patterns and tips at http://armourarchive.org/
good luck! (y)

Nice design, DB!!

I've been thinking about dishing the cheeks rather than welding them, which would help prevent cracking of the weld seams later on. Ashcraft Baker sells 12g and 14g helm tops, which would help quite a bit. I have dome-top steel rivets already... But I don't have a way to cut the proper weight steel for the rest of the helm(yet).

Why not use a sugarloaf helmet as a pattern for an SCA mando? It's a great helm so it's gonna be plenty big, and all you would have to do is bring the point down off the top then make the mandibles/T in front.

Weathered the belly plate:

170.jpg

Duct-taped the chest, shoulders, and belly plate to an old doublet... which is the wrong size, so it doesn't look quite right, but still gives a basic idea:

175.jpg

This isn't the doublet that it's going to be attached to eventually, was just something I had handy to tape the armor to. :facepalm

I've been waiting on my SCA armorer to get back with me on making an SCA legal helm blank to work off of... meanwhile, I constructed this sword out of a damaged antique cutlass, using the swords from KotOR and KotOR II as inspiration. It has a wood and antler hilt, carved aluminum tsuba-style guard, brass pommel, peened, filed, and polished tang stub, Peridot, Rubies, Sapphire, Amethysts, and Citrine. I still have to finish cleaning up and polishing the blade, but here's the Sword so far.

176.jpg

I also have a custom blaster pistol I'm working on, building it out of an old .22 blank-powered studgun:

BlasterBase.jpg

Very nice blade. Do you have a saya/scabbard already? What materials did you use or plan to use? I think for a costume that it's just as important how you carry as what you carry. What's the length on your blade and where do you plan to carry? Hip? Arm? Back? On a Pack? Keep up on the update pics and beautiful work so far.

-x

Thanks, I plan on making a sheath for it out of leather, with a couple carved aluminum plates for decoration/mounting. It will likely be on my left hip, with my blaster on the right, and then I'm making a shiv as well that will likely be either a boot or back of belt rig.

Ram, if you're talking about the armor, I used a home-made planishing stake and a mirror-finished dishing hammer, and then filed/sanded some of the marks out. Paint took care of the rest.

If you're talking about the "Mandalorian Short Sword" blade, the blade was from an antique cutlass that had been bent and ran over with a car... there were some hammer marks left from straightening the blade, anbd then on the end of the tang where I peened it, which I took out with various files and sandpaper, then polish. :cheers Lots of elbow grease, lol.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back